A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

+1 to the first three

- 100% linens;
    - Plain (non fancy) cashmeres;
    - Truckloads of madder and challis
    - Foulard printed wool (I guess this is technically not the same as challis)
    - More brown/green/olive
    - Pajama sets
    - Tie of the Month Club
    - Sarongs

OK, the last three were flights of fancy.

2. tdude

tdude Senior member

Great ideas guys. I'm for patterned wool/cashmere too. (Fall and all.) madders in neat patterns.

3. tdude

tdude Senior member

:lol:

4. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I would actually be fully on board for Thai silk pajama sets.
    Thank you.

5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

This has been mentioned a lot previously in this thread, but I would REALLY like to see David offer custom knit ties. 60" x 3.15" point end knits... don't think I'm gonna find 'em anywhere else. Staple colored solids, bicolors, and dots would all be welcomed. :nodding:

6. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

From conversations with David I know this is already under consideration, but I'd love to see more check patterns. Especially small checks using few colors, like houndstooths and gingham and the like. The kind of "neat" checks if you will that are interesting up close but blend into a solid when you're a bit further away.

He also mentioned some time ago that he was considering wool houndstooth, which I'd absolutely love. In fact I'd love wool checks in general. Like some grey prince of wales checks with various subtle overchecks like orange, purple or shades of brown in a nice wool material would be fantastic. This would probably also work equally well with POW in other light earthy tones.

I'm also definitely on board with some cashmeres.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

7. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

I'd also like to see some shantungs in classic neat designs such as pindots, like this:

[​IMG]

8. tdude

tdude Senior member

On board here too. I love shepherd's checks, but only have two. Would love some more in various colors. Definitely wool houndstooth, checks, and POW in large and small scales!

9. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

I agree with this, 100%, those were my two big ones on the wish list. Especially cashmere in stripes or patterns. Would also love to see some more interesting ties for summer, see any summer type of fabric from Vanda really.

10. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is a repeat, dark purple diamond weave (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

11. tdude

tdude Senior member

[​IMG]

This is a great silk. Extremely dry and somewhat stiff.

Excellent as always PP!

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

WINRARS!!! i need that rep and that glen plaid. gaaah
    would love that l was just checking the site for something like that. is that one a drakes? id REALLY love a knit or grenadine with spread out dots, in black or dark navy. :drool:

13. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Thanks tdude! Likewise, your new tie and fit are awesomeness! [​IMG]

Thanks stitchy! And yes you do need those Hobers [​IMG]

14. jeffd

jeffd Senior member

I just made my initial Hober purchase. I have to thank everyone for commenting here, as this thread has been invaluable.

I'm starting out with three prometeo grenadines - medium red #2, dark sienna #17 and midnight #6. I'd also planned to get the brick red #20, but opted to try one of the shot silks instead, the olive #14 (really more of a medium bronze) because I noticed there was only enough material left for one. I have a long list of other grenadines, some wools, and shot silks that will have to be purchased over time, assuming I like what I've ordered so far (I'm sure I will). I didn't look at any patterns this go around, since I'm seriously lacking solids.

It's been said before, but probably bears repeating that anyone looking at ordering should first get the swatch sets. Apart from making my dining room table look very festive for a few days, I found many of the color differences to be subtle, and quite a few look completely different in person than they do on Hober's website, or even from the photos here. There are quite a few colors on my wish list that I wouldn't have otherwise considered, and a few that I would have ordered which I'm glad I didn't. The grenadine textures need to be seen first hand as well - I thought for sure that I would prefer the finas, but in person the larger weaves are much richer and aren't at all overly textured as I thought they might be. It's a two-edged sword, however, because if the photos here make the ties seem 10x better than on Hober's website, in person they are 10x better again. These materials are stunning, and they make your old ties feel bad about themselves.

A couple of things worth commenting on specifically - I found myself leaning toward the prometeos not because of the difference in weave to the grossas (it's subtle, and without looking at them side by side, I doubt there's much perceptible difference in texture), but rather that some of the colors in the prometeo line are subtly different and I just found that I preferred them. I'd also say that the shot silks probably don't get enough love in this thread. Some of them are certainly a bit much, but many of the bronzes and silvers especially are quite nice. As a result, I've included the rough silk swatch set in this order as I now think I'll really like the texture.

So thanks again for the many helpful comments and photos here - I'd otherwise probably have never even heard of Hober.

And since I have no ties to show off yet, I'll instead show you my Hober decision making process in action...

[​IMG]

15. tdude

tdude Senior member

Bloody awesome!:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

Welcome!