• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

dimitrioup

Reaction score
You're right achibald not the same tie but my point stands. I also agree that if they didn't have the extra stripes they'd probably look better

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ^I think the stripes on the new ties and the original ties are great, thin or otherwise, multiple or single. I think the ties that tdude and Kroaker are wearing are tremendous.

If you don't like them or prefer solids that's cool, David has a large selection from which to choose in that genre.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you manage to tie all your ties like this?

That certainly is a good looking knot, and I'm sure pinkpanther will chime in himself, but from my experience, Hober ties basically tie themselves. I tie a standard four-in-hand and get a knot and dimple that looks like PP's pretty much every time without much effort or fuss. David does an excellent job proportioning the tie right in knot area, and the result is the perfect sized knot. The top quality materials he uses--both externally and for the interlining--ensure a nice dimple. Of course, if for some reason you don't like the result of your Hober knot tying efforts, you can always discuss with David changing the proportions of the tie in the knot area and/or construction methods. :)

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you manage to tie all your ties like this?

There are a number of gentlemen on this forum that tie consistently great knots. The keys are a little practice and good ties (believe or not I recommend Hobers).

I use a 4IH exclusively. Hard to describe a technique but I guess the best way to describe it is that when I bring the front blade through I tighten it about 2/3s the way or so then form the dimple and then tighten the rest of the way.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That certainly is a good looking knot, and I'm sure pinkpanther will chime in himself, but from my experience, Hober ties basically tie themselves. I tie a standard four-in-hand and get a knot and dimple that looks like PP's pretty much every time without much effort or fuss. David does an excellent job proportioning the tie right in knot area, and the result is the perfect sized knot. The top quality materials he uses--both externally and for the interlining--ensure a nice dimple. Of course, if for some reason you don't like the result of your Hober knot tying efforts, you can always discuss with David changing the proportions of the tie in the knot area and/or construction methods. :)

This

tdude

Reaction score
^^ Big +1. I own ties from many other sources, and my hobers simply make the best knot. I sometimes drool over the cappelli selection just because of its size, and then I thank the gods David doesn't have all of them or my wife would leave me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kroaker - great tie.

plus one to the hober knot love. they tie better knots than any tie i have, and with almost 100% consistency.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a number of gentlemen on this forum that tie consistently great knots. The keys are a little practice and good ties (believe or not I recommend Hobers).

I use a 4IH exclusively. Hard to describe a technique but I guess the best way to describe it is that when I bring the front blade through I tighten it about 2/3s the way or so then form the dimple and then tighten the rest of the way.
Ah that actually makes sense to me.

I actually have two hobers already and two more on order. My knots look good but not THAT good.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Burgundy grossa 4-fold. Happy Monday indeed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads