1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Yeah, didn't realize how close the jacket and tie weaves were until I took the pic, agree that they aren't kosher together. :embar:

I saw that Claghorn re-posted his black/camel herringbone which is simply awesome (both the tie and his fit). I will post a pic of mine when I wear it next week. I will try and pair it better than I did with the burgundy. :D

3. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

Is that a three-fold?

4. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the geometric pattern #21 (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Senior member

Question for everyone: how do you store your ties? I'm looking for a better way to store mine without adding an expensive organization system. I've checked google and pinterest but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for. Was considering some sort of ornament storage solution but I'm concerned with keeping the ties rolled for so long. Would love some suggestions!

TIA.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Rolled, like this:

http://www.houzz.com/tie-cubbie

My unit was custom made and looks very similar to the unit 3 pictures down (says "telluride" to the right). However, my unit sits in my master closet, not the laundry room. It contains 168 cubbies and can go 2-deep if needed - it literally goes from floor to ceiling. I typically keep my collection around 168 as I like to see them all - for selection purposes - each morning as I get dressed.

Before I had this unit, I was finding that various ties would go unworn for long periods of time (out of sight, out of mind .....).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  10. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Senior member

Thanks, sftg! I saw this post in my searching and would love to have something similar. I share the same attitude that I want to see the ties for selection instead of having to fumble around with my current tie hanger. Ideally I'd like to have a drawer similar to what is shown in that same post but would need to purchase an organization system to get it. I've told the wife I want something installed in my closet (we both have separate walk-ins) but I haven't gotten around to looking for any.

Thanks again for the recco!

11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I find that a series of shallow drawers works well. Enough to get one layer and two columns (left/right). This way one drawer can be "casual," (wool, linen, whatever), one can be "dress" (foulard, silk, etc.) and customize further as necessary.

The rolling up thing is weird to me. In my mind's eye, the ideal setup involves a series of sliding panes where several rows can hang at arms length and slide open to be revealed. This would require considerable horizontal width (at least double one pane). And the occasional dusting between the back layers, maybe. The pegs are not pegs as such but wide rings you can pass the tie through, so it faces outward.

12. applky

applky Senior member

I also use a cedar tie hanger. Works great, and no need to purchase drawers or call in a contractor.

13. pinkpanther

Just received this on Friday. Not a pic of me wearing it but hopefully gives you an idea. The color in the pic is pretty close to IRL. The brown is dark but it is definitely brown. Also there is a subtle line of red that runs through the darker diagonal (the pic doesn't show it well). Personally I can't wait to wear it, it is a lovely tie.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. The Silverfox

That's pretty sweet. I was worried the striping effect would be too strong, but that's nice and subtle.

15. pinkpanther

Agreed. As I look at it a bit more, the brown and white mix to make a somewhat coppery look. As you state, it is nice and subtle.

16. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Bloody hell. As if I needed more evidence of how much I want this tie. Aaaannd... it's in the cart.

1 person likes this.
  17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Added to wish list. Currently planning to save the shopping spree for when there's only fabric for a few left in stock.

18. pinkpanther

:slayer:

You are being much too rational sir. :D

19. The Silverfox

Yeah, that's the biggest problem for most people participating in this thread, we're simply too rational when it comes to ties.

2 people like this.
  20. pinkpanther

:lol: