• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

The Silverfox

Reaction score

So when you are done, you just brush the power off?  Baking soda won't leave excess powder that is hard to get off?
Seems like a safe bet.  You would not trust your tie to a regular dry cleaner I guess....

First off let me just say that my tie wasn't a grenadine, it was some kind of twill weave I think, so obviously the powder would get into the tie easier with a grenadine than with mine. However, as grenadines are so open, I should think that this would also let the powder escape the tie more easily.

Well... The first point is to make sure you don't smear the powder into the tie to begin with. You want to put it on top of the tie so it makes contact with it and can draw out the grease, but there's no sense in pushing and smearing it down into the tie so the powder gets into the fibres. I basically just put it on to let it soak the grease, then I just turned the tie upside down to get rid of most of it, then I shook the tie a bit to shake loose what was left, then I blew air on it and finally I used one of those plastic feather-dusters. Basically anything I could do that would take away what was on it with zero chance of pushing anything into the tie. This all worked just fine and you couldn't tell that there had been any baking soda on it at all, nor could you tell that there had ever been a stain on it. The tie looks like brand new in every way. I can't promise you that there isn't some baking soda that made it into the fibres that's still inside the tie, but nothing that's at all visible. If it's visible odds are it's on the outside, and if it's on the outside it will probably fall off sooner or later, so I can't imagine that this would be a problem after say 5 wears.

If you're worried about that, test it. If the tie is self-tipped, put a little talcum powder or baking soda on the backside of the blade and leave it for a bit, then try to shake it off and brush it off with a feather duster or something similar and see if it leaves a residue you can't get rid off.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
First off let me just say that my tie wasn't a grenadine, it was some kind of twill weave I think, so obviously the powder would get into the tie easier with a grenadine than with mine. However, as grenadines are so open, I should think that this would also let the powder escape the tie more easily.

Well... The first point is to make sure you don't smear the powder into the tie to begin with. You want to put it on top of the tie so it makes contact with it and can draw out the grease, but there's no sense in pushing and smearing it down into the tie so the powder gets into the fibres. I basically just put it on to let it soak the grease, then I just turned the tie upside down to get rid of most of it, then I shook the tie a bit to shake loose what was left, then I blew air on it and finally I used one of those plastic feather-dusters. Basically anything I could do that would take away what was on it with zero chance of pushing anything into the tie. This all worked just fine and you couldn't tell that there had been any baking soda on it at all, nor could you tell that there had ever been a stain on it. The tie looks like brand new in every way. I can't promise you that there isn't some baking soda that made it into the fibres that's still inside the tie, but nothing that's at all visible. If it's visible odds are it's on the outside, and if it's on the outside it will probably fall off sooner or later, so I can't imagine that this would be a problem after say 5 wears.

If you're worried about that, test it. If the tie is self-tipped, put a little talcum powder or baking soda on the backside of the blade and leave it for a bit, then try to shake it off and brush it off with a feather duster or something similar and see if it leaves a residue you can't get rid off.

Thanks for your detailed reply! Doing a test spot is a great idea and I am going to try that first. I definitely don't want to risk ruining this tie since I've only worn it a few times.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too much to quote since last i checked thread. i want to buy so many hobers because of you fools!

cold war painter

Reaction score

Seems like a safe bet.  You would not trust your tie to a regular dry cleaner I guess....

Our (then) toddler chucked up milk formula all down my dark blue grenadine fina the first time I wore it. David felt that the local dry cleaner should be able to cope, but suggested that I asked them not to press the tie. They got it all sorted without problems.

tdude

Reaction score
Finally get to wearing this one

yve3u4yp.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that tie really is awesome.

dimitrioup

Reaction score

Finally get to wearing this one

yve3u4yp.jpg

Would I be too much of a SF pariah if I said I don't really care for that tie? Not the look tdude but the actual tie. I know it's a SF favourite but I really don't like stripes on grenadines. Plain perfect, dots sometimes works out but stripes I think there's too much going on with the stripes and the grenadine weave

Balfour

Reaction score
Would I be too much of a SF pariah if I said I don't really care for that tie? Not the look tdude but the actual tie. I know it's a SF favourite but I really don't like stripes on grenadines. Plain perfect, dots sometimes works out but stripes I think there's too much going on with the stripes and the grenadine weave

I prefer grenadines to be plain as well.

Goodman

Reaction score
I prefer to wear striped grens with simpler fabrics were the added color and texture adds more "pop" (think solid suit or a navy blazer and solid shirts) whereas a solid grenadine would be used to anchor bolder fabrics.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kroaker, very nice. I have that one on my wish list.

You may be confusing tdude's tie with the unofficial SF club tie below:

http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-g...stripes-on-midnight-blue-grenadine-tie-3.html

I love a lot of David's ties but wasn't a huge fan of many of the new striped grenadines. I think I'd like some of them better if they didn't have those additional thin stripes (e.g. the small brown in tdude's tie between the larger brown / pink stripes), but that's strictly a matter of personal taste for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads