1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tdude

tdude Senior member

^^ yup. Mine was the burnt orange oxford.

2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober (another repeat from a few months back) is the Macclesfield #84 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

^^ that is a fantastic combo ^^

4. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

I have the satin square, and it is, in my opinion, way too stiff. It's a beautiful ps, but if I buy a silk ps I want it to be a soft and smooth ps. This is not the case with this ps. If you try to puff it you get more of a pointy, sharp and hard object bulging out of your pocket. It folds nicely though, but I don't like folding silk. So it has unfortunately been left unused after a couple of initial tries. But if you think that the thai shot one is stiff and makes a nice puff: go for it. It's beautiful and as always impeccably made.

1 person likes this.
  5. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Does anyone have a tie in the Macclesfield #145 (https://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-print-silk-ties/macclesfield-printed-silk-tie-145.html)?

I'm really interested in that fabric in a 6 or 7-fold, very lightly or completely unlined to use with odd jackets and odd trousers/chinos. But it's always good to see an action shot of the fabric as an actual tie first. I have seen a picture of Luca Rubinacci with a tie that - if my memory serves me right - is very similar to this fabric and it looks really good. I've tried finding the picture but can't. So basically I don't even know if Luca's tie and this fabric is the same or if I just imagine them to be. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  6. westhill

westhill Well-Known Member

https://www.markmarengo.com/accesso...k-tie-star-of-david-dark-blue-light-blue.html
    Pazzion, Hi, I don't see the gold background one currently available but I found very good Macclesfield ties at Mark Marengo Savile Row and they are very gently self-lined in the same Macclesfield silk so they look almost unlined , which I think is what you are looking for..none of that horrible monogrammed taffetta inside that such a lot of brands insist on . Alfred Dunhill have good Macclesfield's as well .

7. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

Maiden voyage today for the powder blue / brown grenadine stripe Hober.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Love that tie! You join Kroaker in the "need to improve knot/dimple" club, though. :p

3 people like this.
  9. pinkpanther

Wow, thank you sir! [​IMG]

10. pinkpanther

It is probably over-the-top and is definitely awesome. [​IMG] Some interesting linens that David came up with, I really like the lighter plaids.

11. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

mljs54 - great choice of hober.

1 person likes this.
  13. Berob

Berob Active Member

Getting ready to place my first order and am just curious what width most of you folks are ordering. For context, if it matters, I'm a 47-year old finance professional and am assuming 3.5" is an appropriate, middle-of-the-road width. Thoughts?

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I ordered ties with a 3.75 inch width for a long time but have recently switched to 3.50. I find it slightly sleeker but it's not a huge deal to me either way. I'd say 3.25 to 3.75 is generally middle of the road in terms of width and don't see much reason for 95% of people to deviate from this range unless they have a strong personal preference. If you are particularly tall and big, a bit wider may work. If you are particularly short and thin, perhaps a bit narrower may work. Just stay clear of skinny tie territory and those absolutely awful wide ties that we saw in the early 1990s.

3 people like this.
  15. in stitches

congrats! i always order my hobers in 3.5 inch width.

16. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

3.5" is my preferred width as well. I experimented with 3.75 and even 3 5/8 when I first began ordering Hobers, but ultimately returned to 3.5".

17. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Just some constructive feedback. :nodding:

18. tdude

tdude Senior member

3.5 exclusively for me. If you must go big though, make em 4.5, and tell David to make it short enough so the blades only reach 2/3 of the way down your shirt.;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

To get the Dilbert look? I get 3.5 inch ties, too.

1 person likes this.
  20. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Glad to see Dilbert is still alive and well.