A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

They are just partially lined so tipping is not required.

Take a look at post #164.

2. forex

forex Senior member

Take a look at post #164.

And?

3. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

And?
    Pictures shows the lining on an untipped tie cut so as not to show. I had meant this in reply to the post above yours. Making the same point as you.

4. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I don't want to derail this thread AT all. On the contrary, I want to buy my first Sam Hober. However, I have no idea what is good/bad about a 3, 6, 7 fold. Why to have a tie tipped/untipped. Why to have it lined/unlined. I've looked and can't find the answer. I'd really like to purchase a tie from Hober, but feel a bit lost amongst the options...

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the Hober "Thai shot silk ties"? The colors look fairly amazing on the pocket squares, but have not seen anything in the tie variety.
    I have several pocket squares of shot silk and they are marvelous. Although I don't have any shot silk ties, I wore my Saiphone silk tie on Friday and got multiple compliments: http://www.samhober.com/thai-saiphon...-square-9.html The picture doesn't do it justice, since the silk has a nice sheen and the mix of green and blue changes depending on the viewing angle. Unfortunately, I rarely wear ties and can't justify buying more Hober ties (though I'm very tempted), however I'm seriously considering several grenadine pocket squares. I've fallen in love with textured fabrics. And of course, David's service and product quality are first-rate.

6. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

Zeero3,

Your question is a good one.

A quick answer is that typically a classic 3-fold will always work well which is why it is a classic.

For loose weaves like a grenadine a 4-fold is more durable.

6-folds a luxury construction that drapes well and has the fascination of more folds - think gentlemen who love complicated watches.

Unlined 7-folds are similar to 6-folds but wrinkle more and do not drape as well - but have a lighter feeling if you seek that.

We are very much a service as we have no ready made ties and welcome your questions - please email as many questions as you like or post.

I am also very new to the bespoke tie world, so thanks to Zeero3 for the questions, and David for answers.

I am curious about the difference between tipped and untipped....

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

8. hatguy

hatguy Senior member

I also hope to order a Hober soon and would appreciate advice on how tie width is chosen--I wasn't able to find any information.

Are there [somewhat objective] guides to best determine tie width?

How do you guys choose your tie width?

Thanks,

9. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I also hope to order a Hober soon and would appreciate advice on how tie width is chosen--I wasn't able to find any information.

Are there [somewhat objective] guides to best determine tie width?

Thanks,

Wide lapel, wider tie, narrow lapel, narrower tie, it's all about proportion, I would go with 3.5", not too wide, not too narrow, makes a nice knot

10. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

I knew I wanted something narrower than my RTW ties so I started at 3.5 inchs. Then went to 3.25. I might try a little narrower at some point, but I am pretty happy with 3.25. What works for you will depend on your taste and your height (and how long you wear your tie -- I wear mine several inches shorter than the prevailing fashion, ending a couple of inches above the waistband).

The guidelines for choosing length on David's website worked pretty well for me; I have not changed the length since my first order.

11. hatguy

hatguy Senior member

Thanks Slickman and BOV. 3.25-3.5" sounds about right for my frame and suit preference.

12. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say my two new grenadine ties (navy and bitter chocolate) are wonderful (sorry, no pic available). The pattern is beautiful, the colors "pop" and change in subtle ways depending on the lighting, the construction is flawless, and the service outstanding. Thanks David.

13. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

just got my linen tie... its amazing. will get pics up soon.

14. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Just looking at the burgundy Grenadine ties, but am a little unsure of colour of the sample, as it appears quite dark, almost brown on my monitor. Any chance of any pics of a finished tie?

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Just looking at the burgundy Grenadine ties, but am a little unsure of colour of the sample, as it appears quite dark, almost brown on my monitor. Any chance of any pics of a finished tie?

Grossa or Fina? What number/code is it? I'm looking at the Burgundy Garza Fina swatch (GFT-3) and that does look a bit brown/purple (like an old Bourgogne). Before checking the site, I thought GFT-2 was burgundy, but it's called dark red (and it does look more like a young and fresh Beaujolais).