1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

No royalties I'm afraid. I can offer my undying gratitude for your excellent choice of ties and great pics! :nodding:

Thank you sir! :cheers:

CANNOT WAIT!! :slayer:

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I got notice this morning that mine shipped.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

4. tdude

tdude Senior member

Thx stitches.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

As promised, evidence of package delivered

Honestly though, these pictures don't do them justice. Taken with my smartphone in my bathroom at nighttime with the "fantastic" lighting that entails. Needless to say the colors are richer and deeper in real life.

Plaid silk necktie #13, 6-fold construction
    For extra bonus points you can have a guess at where I got the pocket square
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one looks like a flat black, but it's actually a midnight blue. Grenadine fina in 6-fold construction
    [​IMG]

English pattern tie, I got the last or second last so it's taken off the site (so I can't find the number), 6-fold construction
    [​IMG]

And there's another package currently in the mail, which is an inverted madder scarf. Basically a scarf made with the backside of the madder in the PS above, so you get the golden brown color of the twill, but with a watermark effect from the print on the other side of it. Very optimistic about this one.

1 person likes this.
  6. tdude

tdude Senior member

7. pinkpanther

^^ very nice Silverfox! The English pattern is/was #20 and anyone who didn't acquire that tie is doomed to live a life of regret. It is an awesome tie. I really like the look of that plaid, it is now on the list! :nodding:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. pinkpanther

tdude - upon further review I would put the texture of the oxford weave between a diamond weave and a Macclesfield. It is dryer than a diamond weave.

1 person likes this.
  9. dimitrioup

dimitrioup Well-Known Member

Hober bitter chocate piccola[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. dimitrioup

dimitrioup Well-Known Member

Wow my picture is really bad, sorry bout that people, ill do better next time

1 person likes this.
  11. The Silverfox

I know, right? Plaids can really be quite fantastic. The funny thing is that when I saw it online, I initially thought it was sort of ugly, but then figured out that it might work. Then when the package arrived and I opened it, seeing the tie on it's own laying flat on my desk I literally cringed, but when pairing it with some nice blues and something that picks up the gold, it's absolutely amazing. I've had a lot of luck with David's plaids going for things I'm not sure will work. Of the 4 I have, the gray glen plaid is the only one I was sure about and had a swatch of. The other 3 were wildcards that turned out great, this one of course, the red white and blue that sort of melds to a grey with a hint of beige that I think you also bought, and the third one being a plaid with different shades of blue (I'll throw up some pictures tonight perhaps)

The english pattern #20 is indeed amazing, and I was one of those living a life of regret until it was restocked. I got the peach/burgundy (or whatever it is) houndstooth that's very similar to it in my first order, but when that arrived and I saw how wonderful it was the navy/powder version was already sold out. Luckily I managed to get one when it was restocked, but if I hadn't I'd be wallowing in my sorrow right about now.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1.

13. pinkpanther

14. The Silverfox

Ding ding ding ding

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is the red & light brown wool stripe (4-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. pinkpanther

The discussion of weave formality came up a couple months back and davesmith posed the above request. I finally got around to organizing it.

Here are two pics showing the navy fina and grossa with the same suit...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here are two pics of the same ties with the same odd jacket...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Of course, formality will be in the eye of the beholder but I don't see any difference in that aspect between the two looks. YMMV.

2 people like this.
  17. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Nicely done! When I first became aware of grenadines, I preferred the grossa weave. My taste slowly shifted to preferring finas, but now I think it's shifting back to grossa. Moral of the story: you can't go wrong with either, and it's best to own grenadines of all types. :D

2 people like this.
  18. scurvyfreedman

My order, made Sunday, just arrived. I can't believe the quick turn around and am always pleased with the incredible quality and service from David.

Pics to follow shortly.

3 people like this.
  19. rc121

rc121 Senior member

love that tie, is that normal construction? definitely thinking about picking that up

20. scurvyfreedman

Group shot- same tie as above that's been circulating this week grossa charcoal-silver and plum rough Thai silk
    [​IMG]

closeup of the rough fabric

[​IMG]

I can't believe they arrived in time for my trip next week- 5 business days order to delivery in Washington, DC.

2 people like this.