1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tdude

tdude Senior member

2 people like this.
  2. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

thanks for the compliments gentlemen, I'm very pleased as usually when dealing with David.

3. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Nice! Which one is this?

4. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

^ That looks great. I recently bought the midnight blue and bitter chocolate grenadines untipped, and although I like seeing the untipped ties on others I think I will return to the self-tipped format in future. (I realise this is uncool and means I will probably get my lunch money stolen or something.)

I have a couple of the challis wool solids (and have just ordered four more for A/W). The weave is fairly fine and they are not as woolly as you might expect before handling one, so I guess they would be fine with more folds. However, the standard construction is great, so I haven't bothered to fiddle with the specs any further. I like them a lot as they are fairly unobtrusive and work well with A/W fits where you often won't see much of the tie anyway what with jumpers, scarves, etc.

I am wearing a HY silk knit today which is a bit too long for me and made me wonder if we were any closer to the Hober silk knits .. maybe S/S 2014?

5. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

I am with you on the untipped option, looks great but not for me. I hope no one takes my lunch money. :embar:

I just received the wool challis and I agree with your assessment. Can't wait to put it around my neck!:)

I believe that is the navy fina.

6. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

Quote:
    Hm, and here I have been thinking that I really want to get an untipped grenadine... So what's wrong with them?

7. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

They're great but not for everybody. The tip-less end is very lightweight and will move around a lot (especially in wind), it's translucent (you can see through it) which forms a strange diamond shape at the end of the tie, it hangs differently to a tipped tie, etc. These qualities are neither good-nor-bad but some people will develop strong preferences one way or another. enjoy a mix of tipped and untipped myself. :)

8. pinkpanther

This. Nothing wrong with them at all, they look great. Just a preference thing.

9. pinkpanther

The tie I am wearing today is not a Hober which is making me [​IMG]

However, I did get this delivered yesterday which makes me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will take pics as I wear them but this will have to do for now...

Sorry the pic is upside down...
    [​IMG]

My Hober addiction continues to run very, very deep. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Oh wow, that is a huge order!

How on earth will you pick which to wear first?! Such problems.

1 person likes this.
  11. pinkpanther

Well, two of them are wool so I may wait a few weeks on those. That makes it a bit easier to choose. [​IMG]

12. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

Thanks, it's the navy fina (4-fold)

That is some order, PinkPanter!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yup. im a sucker for em, and ill never go back.

14. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Yeah, I just prefer the way a tipped grenadine hangs. I'm not big on the transparency of the untipped end either. I like the ones I have and will still wear them but don't think I'll get more.

Untipped non-grenadines I'm fine with; all my Vandas are untipped and I wear them a lot.

15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Funny, I think I'm the exact opposite, well, at least with the wool challis and grenadines. I could be swayed either way on the others I suppose.

16. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

I've been avoiding this thread lately in an attempt to fight the urge to make another order; today, I'm giving in. :laugh:

I need to fill a gap in my tie wardrobe: a solid silver/gray. Trying to decide between gray piccola #13 and charcoal gray/silver grossa #21. I've seen several pics of the grossa posted lately, but does anyone have pics of the gray piccola? Leaning toward the latter at this point, as I generally prefer the smaller weave grenadines and think that grossa #21 may be a bit too shiny for my taste.

As for the tipping debate, like stitches, I'm a sucker for untipped w/ rolled edges. It's a unique touch that shows the beautiful and meticulous handwork of a Hober, and I like the look.

Also, after about 6 Hober orders of roughly 3-4 ties each, I finally got hit with my first DHL customs bill. :( It was only $22, though. Could have been worse!

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

tipped v. untipped

I have both. I easily prefer tipped. Nothing wrong with either .....

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Trying to avoid the thread is just fighting a losing battle. I've somehow managed to buy 17 Hobers so far this year and will be up to 43 when the latest order arrives. And I still have 10 on my wish list.

3 people like this.
  19. tdude

tdude Senior member

DARN YOU. 10?!?!? *grumble grumble* quietly placing new order

DARN YOU. grumble, quietly increases said order

1 person likes this.
  20. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

I guess I'll just have to order an untipped grenadine to see if I like it or not...