A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

I have that one (I need to get it some fresh air in the not too distant future), it is a classic and definitely SF-approved! [​IMG]

2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is the magenta diamond weave (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

3. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

That's a lovely if bold colour!

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

why thanks you! one of them may be a gift. in which case, i will have to reorder one for me. :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  5. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

But we hardly know each other, that's really too kind of you!

6. in stitches

:laugh:

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Burnt Orange Twiller Madder Solid Silk #8 in action. I really can't emphasize enough how much I like this new line of silks.

[​IMG]

8. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

stitch - those look fabulous. I will have to get my hand on one of those grenadines soon. Will probably start out with a navy though...

9. in stitches

thanks! green was my first grenadine, was grossa from hober. navy and black followed. go for it!!!

10. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

agreed! I recently received the same tie in Burgundy and it's amazing.

11. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

BTW for those of you on the fence about the new twill madders, go ahead and get them, probably my favorite silk david has put out, soft as butter

12. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I think the Fina is more dressy and the grossa more casual.

13. atoms

atoms Senior member

Macclesfield Silk Tie #84 6-fold with rolled edges, 3.5" width, FIH knot. Worn with white shirt and charcoal suit. As mentioned a few posts prior, these things tie themselves. I just got this suit so I couldn't resist a few photos :)
    [​IMG]

For what it's worth, I'm a tiny dude who can easily wear a 35R; David talked me into the 3.5" width and I couldn't be happier.
    While I don't wear ties often, I find this company to be of GREAT value. My torso is quite short compared to my legs (I'm about 5'10" and order 56.5" ties) , and most ties are simply too long. Being able to order a quality tie at ~$85 and get exactly what I want, plus a well made tie that is of high quality is just great. I couldn't be happier with this company and the service they provide. Thank you very much!!

Can't wait for my new ties!!! I bought the grey/silver one just for this suit!

14. ktown

ktown Senior member

Could some of the more experienced members help me with my next purchase? Since discovering SF, I restarted my tie wardrobe and have purchased 2 quality ties. Both of them are Sam Hober - solid navy grenadine and Macclesfield #84.

My goal is to have about 10 or so ties that can be paired with a solid navy suit and a solid charcoal suit (possibly a mid-grey in the future). I rarely need to wear suits. I only need them for weddings, job interviews, and fancy dinners. I suppose in 5-10 years I may need them more regularly for business, but even then I don't anticipate I'd need to wear them much. I work in corporate finance and companies can range from conservative to modern/hip. My company is conservative and the attire is business casual (wool pants, dress shirt, no tie, no jacket).

Anyway I was thinking for the next purchase I would get:

• Solid burgundy reppe - Pair with both the navy and charcoal suit for job interviews and weddings.
    • Dark navy/white pindot - Pair with charcoal suit for job interviews and weddings (would possibly consider pairing with navy suit as well)
    • Black grossa grenadine - Mostly for funerals but from what I've seen they can be used in business settings. I personally feel a little unsure about wearing a grenadine for a job interview.

I'm just trying to get my essentials for now. So I think I'm covering job interviews, weddings, and funerals. I know that wedding ties are the traditionally official ties for weddings, but considering the fact that 99% of people don't even know what a wedding tie is, I wanted to exclude that from my list. Is this a decent start?

I feel that the navy grenadine I purchased earlier doesn't pair well with a navy suit (too monochromatic) and it is also not the best choice for a job interview because of the weave. But if people feel they are ok for job interviews, maybe I could change the burgundy tie to a grenadine? I know this is long :)

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Nice proportions on the tie, collar, and lapels. Don't put your hands in your pockets.