1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

Received my shipping notice late last night/early this AM for my most recent order. Went with Macclesfield #84, a Navy and Powder Houndstooth, a Navy fina, and a the Powder Blue stripe on midnight grenadine! This brings my total of Hobers up to 7. I'm already thinking about a seven fold grenadine and some diamond weaves for my next order...

3 people like this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:fu:

3. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Nice haul! :slayer:

4. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Haven't been back here a while and look at the number of posts... That's a great match with the grey striped shirt Mr. Pink! What shirt is that if I may ask?

5. pinkpanther

^ Thanks Yowzer! It is from David Donahue (via Nordstrom).

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Nice choices. Navy and powder houndstooth will be in my next order if they have it in stock July 28th (NPC grace period).

7. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I would be very interested to see the navy and powder worn successfully. It looks gorgeous, just not sure what I would wear it with. Pink? I'd fear wearing it with white/blue patterned due to the similarities.

Keep in mind I have no imagination.

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Latest Hober acquisition. Posted pics of it a few days ago. Here's a shot "in action":

[​IMG]

Unlined, untipped navy grenadine fina, true 7-fold. Clearly, I need practice on my tie selfie pics to get to the level of PP and other posters in this thread. ;)

I haven't really worn the tie yet--just tried it on to see what kind of knot it makes and how it drapes, as this is my first unlined tie and first 7-fold. As suspected, the knot and drape are absolutely incredible. Sadly though, I will need to be selling this tie (and have already listed it here), as I totally neglected to account for the inherent stretch of an unlined grenadine. I specified the length to be 60", which has become my ideal length. After trying the tie on twice and being very gentle when tying and untying it, it stretched to 61.5". :confused: Someone hurry up and buy it from me so I can order another one in a shorter length. :D

2 people like this.
  9. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Classic look Fly. Probably a silly question but are 7-fold ties generally unlined? I suppose having a lining to give it better shape would make it too thick?

1 person likes this.
  10. tdude

tdude Senior member

that is a beautiful tie, knot, dimple. wow I have the grossa, maybe I need the fina too (cant buy yours though, I wear 57-58".)

2 people like this.
  11. pinkpanther

:) This was my effort a few weeks ago. Solid navy suit and solid shirt. I think it would also pair nicely with various striped shirts.

3 people like this.
  12. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Hi Arch, could you pls identify the 2nd from bottom? Does it reflect the true color IRL? Looks very nice and rich.

13. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

My first attempt will be a solid navy suit with a solid white shirt as well. Simple background to allow the tie to shine.

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

15. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Thanks. Arch. Nice tie!

16. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thanks! I'm no expert on 7-folds as this is my first, but yes, I believe they are generally unlined, especially a grenadine (though an unlined, true 7-fold grenadine is a bit of a rarity). Being that a 7-fold uses roughly twice the amount of silk as a normal 3 or 4 fold, it is plenty thick enough without an interlining. However, as noted above, the lack of a lining does mean the silk will stretch and wrinkle more easily. I guess this is the reason why many "7-folds" are actually lined 6-folds. Still, I quite like this unlined 7-fold, and while I wouldn't want all my ties to be of this variety, I think it would be nice to own a few more.

All of my Hober ties knot and dimple wonderfully, but this one takes the cake. :nodding:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  17. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

The "SF Club Tie" (navy grenadine w/ powder blue and brown stripes) has been restocked. :slayer: Also, eagerly awaiting pics of the new striped grenadines.

2 people like this.
  18. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Ordering one (@Claghorn, not for me - for a friends wedding in October)! Hopefully he still has them later for me.

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A traditional 7 fold tie is unlined. Many who prefer the overall look and feel of a 7 fold, but want arguably more durability, less stretching/twisting, and arguably a better drape, will opt for a lined 6 fold tie (which, of course, Hober has as an option).

I'm not advocating for one or the other, but my personal preference for tie construction is probably a lined 6 fold.

1 person likes this.
  20. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Thanks guys... the info is very useful. The lining route is looking more preferable since it would likely mean a longer tie-life over time. Been looking at a Fina since the last diamond weave and was thinking of going full bore for either a 6/7-fold.