1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Today's Hober:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Sweet jesus. Two questions.

1. Where did you get that sports coat? I've been looking for damn near exactly that.

2. I can't find that tie on Sams site no matter what I search. Any better pictures yet or maybe a product number?

Thanks!

3. gogators

gogators Well-Known Member

4. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I believe you are right. Mr. Six had stated it was the Royal Fusiliers Regimental #3 but I can't find that.

5. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

Mr. Six was correct - the #3 Royal Fusiliers fabric is sold out.

I sent David an inquiry about restock on that fabric and he said perhaps in 4-6 months, if at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

@mrjester--The tie is definitely Royal Fusiliers #3. It's usually under the Regimental Stripe ties. I think I got the last one from the material that David had on hand. When it's back in stock, it should show up in that section of the Hober site.

The jacket is Epaulet's Brown Houndstooth. It's the same material as these pants: http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...lim-walt-trouser-super-120s-brown-houndstooth. I don't think they're stocking the jacket regularly any more, but they can have one cut for you as a special order. Just shoot them an email. If you haven't dealt with them, they're great folks who will gladly help with sizing.

1 person likes this.
  7. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Awesome. I have those pants and have been craving a jacket exactly like it. Not that I'd wear it as a suit.

And that tie is fantastic. Looks an awful lot like the University tie but I'm not sure since I didn't see the picture on the website. I love those bold stripes.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

newshoes - looks great. i really need a purple ground neat.

9. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Got an email early this morning telling me that my package has been shipped (DHL). I can't wait!

10. Engi

Engi Senior member

Hi all,
    I'm in the process of ordering my first ties from Sam, in particular a grenadine in navy and a grenadine in burgundy.

Now my questions are:

• Which kind of garza is better: grenadina grossa or grenadina fina ?
    • I like dark navy ties: do you think that the midnight blue is a good dark blue ? Any "live" photo of Sam grenadine midnight blue could help ... :nodding:

I'll order them four fold and unlined.

Thanks a lot for your help,

ciao

Engi

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  11. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

1. No of the weaves are "better" than the other. They are simply of different aesthetics. The grossa is of a bigger weave and the fina of a smaller weave. I have both, and I find both to be truly amazing ties.

2. I can't speak of the midnight blue, but I do own the grossa dark navy and fina navy, and the dark navy is a really dark, rich blue which is slightly more muted in the color and richness than the navy. I really, really the grossa dark navy and strongly recommend it!

Give David an e-mail as well, as he is really helpful and knowledgable.

1 person likes this.
  12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Grossa vs. fina is purely a matter of preference. The grossa weave is a bit larger than the fina. Some prefer one or the other but many on here have and happily wear both. Midnight blue can be a great option; I do not have any photos of a plain midnight blue tie but the grenadine stripe and dot ties are generally on a midnight blue background and there are a bunch of these posted. This could give you some idea.

1 person likes this.
  13. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

To highlight the difference between grossa and fina. These are bianchi grenadine silks.

As mentioned, it is purely a matter of preference.

Are there cases in which one is more suitable than the other, though?

[​IMG]

14. Sander

Sander Senior member

I would say fina is more formal, grossa more sporty.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

^^ that is generally the difference people site. though i think for most people, and for most daily wear, you could really wear either one. ^^

2 people like this.
  16. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

+1

For me, the grossa doesn't really make as much of a difference to formality as to the interesting-ness of different textures. So I would definitely be comfortable wearing a grossa to, say, a job interview as long as it was a subdued and dark color (like the dark navy).

17. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

The formality difference between weaves, particularly grossa and fina, comes up often. IMO, there is no difference in formality only a difference in weave. I think both are pretty formal ties and I would wear, and have worn, either to any business meeting or boardroom.

2 people like this.
  18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1. I'd wear mine anywhere too, but if I were concerned about formality, it wouldn't be one grenadine vs. another. It would be grenadine vs. some ultra-conservative silk tie with no texture.

3 people like this.
  19. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Just spoke to DHL and my package will be delivered during the day. I spoke with David when placing my order and asked him if it was possible to have a speedy process, which he certainly made happen. It only took five days from when I placed the order for the three ties (one black prometeo grenadine, one gray cashmere and one 6-fold Macclesfield print neat) plus one cream silk PS to be made and delivered to Sweden.

Amazing! I'm really looking forward to getting home and open the package!

Thanks again, David. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    2 people like this.
  20. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

That's indeed really speedy! Hope they turn out good, it sounds like a fun parcel.

Mine should be arriving any day..