• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Row of Opportunity: Savile Row's pivot towards RTW

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice agjiffy. It is hard to tell from the picture, but one thing huntsman does well is manipulate the checks by how darts are placed and how the pattern is laid out over the whole suit or sportcoat. It looks like they may have made one of the boxes disappear on each side of the chest, right?
Other tailors do this, too, but Huntsman is particularly attentive to this. It is almost a pity to order a solid from them.

G

Griffindork

Nice agjiffy. It is hard to tell from the picture, but one thing huntsman does well is manipulate the checks by how darts are placed and how the pattern is laid out over the whole suit or sportcoat. It looks like they may have made one of the boxes disappear on each side of the chest, right?
Other tailors do this, too, but Huntsman is particularly attentive to this. It is almost a pity to order a solid from them.

Yes, that is right. This pattern was impossible to line up exactly right, and if I post the back of the jacket you will see a single red line that is off-center, but the sacrificed the back to make the front look symmetrical.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a point worth considering in Svenn's post even if he didn't intend for there to be one. The overwhelming majority of SR clothing posted on SF is from A&S, which is the lowest priced of the traditional row options. To put A&S in perspective, I believe it represents about 12% of SR's turnover, maybe slightly more. Independents like Steed are seen more frequently as is the lower priced NSM. The only one of the silly priced options that is seen much on SF is Rubinacci.
But most of SR is missing from SF in any numbers. So are most of the established non-Rubinacci Italians. And the Americans are also missing. Maybe one or two Despos customers post photos of themselves, but that represents a tiny fraction of his work. And if you want to see Logsdail's work, watch a movie or CNBC but don't expect his customers to post here.
Why is that?

I think when aks andy and sf got started and for a long time after anything else than A&S is not cool. The main writers had no interest in much else, those who were interested in the other tailors it wasn't worth their time to write it at these two places. After all, it was sorta like drape was god (which it isn't).

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most people spending $6k on a suit have better things to do than post on teh Interwebs?

More like, that constituency is small, so the probability of someone both posting on Styleforum and being a Poole client is low.

People who can buy $6K suits have plenty of time to post on the internet. Someone who works double shifts at the Golden arches, less so.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People who can buy $6K suits have plenty of time to post on the internet. Someone who works double shifts at the Golden arches, less so.

Well said.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is exactly the opposite of what I've observed.

"Can" is an important word, though. While people of intergenerational or idle wealth represent a small portion of wealthy people, they may represent an disproportionate share of those who patronize SR.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is exactly the opposite of what I've observed.

"Can" is an important word, though. While people of intergenerational or idle wealth represent a small portion of wealthy people, they may represent an disproportionate share of those who patronize SR.

In my experience, a lot of success relatively successful people find comfort in the myth that their success is a continuing product of hard work. I think that the reality is that success is mostly a matter of luck combined with some good/timely decision making that positioms a person towards a pretty positive life outcome.

Not to say that successful people don't also work hard, but there is a lot more latitude in their schedules. You don't have the luxury of ******* around when you are waiting tables on a busy double shift or are roofing a house.

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

It doesn't take that much time or effort to post on the board, even if the post includes a picture. I'm not playing dress up. The clothes you see are things that I'm wearing to work. The incremental time and effort to get a post up, when I feel like doing it, doesn't seem to be having an adverse impact on my job performance or compensation as far as I can tell. I think the main reasons people don't post more pictures here are probably: (1) a general lack of civility and meaningful knowledge and (2) concerns about anonymity.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very "straw man" way of looking at things.

You may want to wiki "straw man."

I address your proposition directly, here:

Not to say that successful people don't also work hard, but there is a lot more latitude in their schedules. You don't have the luxury of ******* around when you are waiting tables on a busy double shift or are roofing a house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads