1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A return to black shoes for 2013

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vida, Jan 4, 2013.

1. vida

vida Senior member

In my quest for simplicity I am reconsidering black shoes. Currently I have 6 pairs of brown in various shades, chocolate whole cuts being my favorite. While I think brown is warm and elegant, I appreciate the the "modern" and "minimal" aesthetic black offers. I also like the continuity between shoe and my dark suits. Thoughts?

2. atoms

atoms Senior member

There is nothing wrong with black shoes. I'm surprised to find someone without, even on this forum. Get some, be happy.

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I had only black "shoes" when i joined SF. I have progressed to having no black shoes at the moment. There are times that i recognize that black shoes are needed in certain instances. Now, i am on the quest for a pair of black shoes again.

Only question is, do I stay at a moderate cost, because i won't use them much? Or do i go expensive, because the times i will use them, they will present a certain level of professionalism and elegance? I still haven't decided, but i am seriously considering a black whole cut oxford...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. onix

onix Senior member

I only have 1 pair of black shoes. Worn a handful of times last year. I have nothing against black shoes. I just look better with non-black shoes.

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

The occasion that calls for black shoes are the times that you need to look your best. Go all out IMO.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

There are different shades/hues of black and the color is classic with good leather maintenance.

7. vida

vida Senior member

Different hues? I have an idea of what you are saying but would like to see an example (pic).

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I'm thinking he is talking about shade values, not so much hues (which would pertain more to colors). Maybe different tanning processes result in darker leathers?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I like black shoes a fair bit more than the average SF poster but would caution that black shoes are not necessarily "modern", "minimal" or "simple". There are plenty of more intricately-styled black shoes out there, and the shoe last matters a lot too. I would therefore be very reluctant to simply elide black shoes as a group with a "minimal" look.

However, it is fair to say if that a black shoe will look more formal than a non-black version of the same last & style.

Within that narrower framework, I do think black shoes are a much nicer-looking option than brown ones for most city looks. For example, I'm not really much of a fan of burgundy or brown shoes with flat worsted business suits. Somewhat countrified looks (regardless of where actually worn) are significantly more pleasant as a gestalt with brown or burgundy shoes though, so there is an element of horses for courses here.

If you're going for a very formal/business-oriented wardrobe, I think there's a strong case for only needing black shoes. If you like wearing tailored clothing outside of a work setting (or wear more casual tailored clothing for work), then it makes sense to have a proportion of other colours. Again, style/last also play a strong part in determining how the colour of the shoe plays with the overall look IMO.

10. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

I have only one pair of black shoes, calf double monks. I'd like another, perhaps a pair of EG captoes on the 888 last.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wear black shoes more than any other color, mostly for work and other business-related or semi-formal occasions. For social occasions I wear only brown or burgundy shoes and the occasional navy.

12. vida

vida Senior member

I like the 888 EG last too. I am also a fan of the G&G Sinatra (TG73 last).

1 person likes this.
  13. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

agree 100%

14. Balmorals

Balmorals Active Member

888 is great. Can't wait to try the TG73 once my Wigmores arrive.