• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A return to black shoes for 2013

vida

Reaction score
In my quest for simplicity I am reconsidering black shoes. Currently I have 6 pairs of brown in various shades, chocolate whole cuts being my favorite. While I think brown is warm and elegant, I appreciate the the "modern" and "minimal" aesthetic black offers. I also like the continuity between shoe and my dark suits. Thoughts?

atoms

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with black shoes. I'm surprised to find someone without, even on this forum. Get some, be happy.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had only black "shoes" when i joined SF. I have progressed to having no black shoes at the moment. There are times that i recognize that black shoes are needed in certain instances. Now, i am on the quest for a pair of black shoes again.

Only question is, do I stay at a moderate cost, because i won't use them much? Or do i go expensive, because the times i will use them, they will present a certain level of professionalism and elegance? I still haven't decided, but i am seriously considering a black whole cut oxford...

Last edited:

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have 1 pair of black shoes. Worn a handful of times last year. I have nothing against black shoes. I just look better with non-black shoes.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had only black "shoes" when i joined SF. I have progressed to having no black shoes at the moment. There are times that i recognize that black shoes are needed in certain instances. Now, i am on the quest for a pair of black shoes again.
Only question is, do stay at a moderate cost, because i won't use them much? Or do i go expensive, because the times i will use them, they will present a certain level of professionalism and elegance? I still haven't decided, but i am seriously considering a black whole cut oxford...

The occasion that calls for black shoes are the times that you need to look your best. Go all out IMO.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my quest for simplicity I am reconsidering black shoes. Currently I have 6 pairs of brown in various shades, chocolate whole cuts being my favorite. While I think brown is warm and elegant, I appreciate the the "modern" and "minimal" aesthetic black offers. I also like the continuity between shoe and my dark suits. Thoughts?

There are different shades/hues of black and the color is classic with good leather maintenance.

vida

Reaction score
Different hues? I have an idea of what you are saying but would like to see an example (pic).

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Different hues? I have an idea of what you are saying but would like to see an example (pic).

I'm thinking he is talking about shade values, not so much hues (which would pertain more to colors). Maybe different tanning processes result in darker leathers?

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like black shoes a fair bit more than the average SF poster but would caution that black shoes are not necessarily "modern", "minimal" or "simple". There are plenty of more intricately-styled black shoes out there, and the shoe last matters a lot too. I would therefore be very reluctant to simply elide black shoes as a group with a "minimal" look.

However, it is fair to say if that a black shoe will look more formal than a non-black version of the same last & style.

Within that narrower framework, I do think black shoes are a much nicer-looking option than brown ones for most city looks. For example, I'm not really much of a fan of burgundy or brown shoes with flat worsted business suits. Somewhat countrified looks (regardless of where actually worn) are significantly more pleasant as a gestalt with brown or burgundy shoes though, so there is an element of horses for courses here.

If you're going for a very formal/business-oriented wardrobe, I think there's a strong case for only needing black shoes. If you like wearing tailored clothing outside of a work setting (or wear more casual tailored clothing for work), then it makes sense to have a proportion of other colours. Again, style/last also play a strong part in determining how the colour of the shoe plays with the overall look IMO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear black shoes more than any other color, mostly for work and other business-related or semi-formal occasions. For social occasions I wear only brown or burgundy shoes and the occasional navy.

vida

Reaction score
I like the 888 EG last too. I am also a fan of the G&G Sinatra (TG73 last).

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like black shoes a fair bit more than the average ...

... I do think black shoes are a much nicer-looking option than brown ones for most city looks. For example, I'm not really much of a fan of burgundy or brown shoes with flat worsted business suits. Somewhat countrified looks (regardless of where actually worn) are significantly more pleasant as a gestalt with brown or burgundy shoes though, so there is an element of horses for courses here.

If you're going for a very formal/business-oriented wardrobe, I think there's a strong case for only needing black shoes. If you like wearing tailored clothing outside of a work setting (or wear more casual tailored clothing for work), then it makes sense to have a proportion of other colours. Again, style/last also play a strong part in determining how the colour of the shoe plays with the overall look IMO.

agree 100%

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads