• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A recovering MW customer

shawndo

Reaction score
My name is Shawn and I'm a recovering Men's Warehouse customer...
<Hi Shawn>

I work in the tech industry, so suits only come out for interviews. My first suit was a Navy Blue 46R with size 38 pants. $300 from MW.

I have lost a lot of weight since moving to NYC, and took the jacket in to maybe have it altered. The cost was going to be substantial relative to the value of the suit, since I am now a 42R with a 35" waist.

Yes, I bought another suit right then and there. Another $300 for a charcoal. It seemed like it fit well, but I don't really know what to look for. It's currently in the process of having the pants and sleeves hemmed.
I am now in the acceptance phase and admitting my problem!

Since it is being hemmed (modified) there is no way I can get out of the sale, right ? What can I do at this point? Just suck it up and count it as a learning experience?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call them and see if they have already altered it or not. If they didn't, then maybe you could stop them. Otherwise, you can always sell it on ebay or something. You could post it here too, but I dont think you'll ever sell it

shawndo

Reaction score
I was actually on the phone with them as I was writing the post. They already finished the job
frown.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would actually go in a different direction. If you are only wearing the suit for rare occasions, I would think you have a perfectly usable work suit. While you could have, with some work, found a better value for $300.00, you are certainly going to have a suit that will serve its limited purposes for some time and may not need more suit than you have.

I would worry more about whether it was well altered and less about where you bought it. A $2,500.00 suit that does not fit will not flatter. A fused Chaps Ralph Lauren or whatever MW is selling these days that fits very well can flatter.

Consider having photos done when alterations are complete and many knowledgable persons (as well as others) on this forum will offer their views. If additional alterations would be valuable, there are very good tailors in NYC that we can recommend.

If the alterations were done well, enjoy it. Even a MW suit, well-fitted, and properly matched with shirt, tie, and shoes will put you far ahead of more than 99% of fellow males.

shawndo

Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Since moving to NYC, I have been inspired to dress better on a daily basis. And watching "How I Met Your Mother" has inspired me to "Suit Up!" on occasion when I go out. By the way, is MW any worse than Jos A Banks? Or they are pretty much in the same arena? There just seems to be more MW bashing around here. I think I'm going for one of these as my next suit: http://www.thickasthievesla.com/ Maybe at least MW can measure me for my next suit!

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shawndo
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Since moving to NYC, I have been inspired to dress better on a daily basis. And watching "How I Met Your Mother" has inspired me to "Suit Up!" on occasion when I go out.

By the way, is MW any worse than Jos A Banks? Or they are pretty much in the same arena? There just seems to be more MW bashing around here.

I think I'm going for one of these as my next suit:
http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

Maybe at least MW can measure me for my next suit!

I prefer, somewhat Jos. Banks. I would certainly not have MW measure you for a suit. There are too many really good NYC tailors to take that chance.

shawndo

Reaction score
I suppose this &quot;Mr Ned&quot; would be a good one? Can I just go in there and ask for measurements, then walk out? How much does something like that cost, considering I won't be buying a suit from them?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in honesty. If you're only going in there for measurements, I would admit that upfront. Their time is money and using them for that service is robbing them of their time if you don't on purchasing anything.

That's just me...

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I would actually go in a different direction. If you are only wearing the suit for rare occasions, I would think you have a perfectly usable work suit. While you could have, with some work, found a better value for $300.00, you are certainly going to have a suit that will serve its limited purposes for some time and may not need more suit than you have. I would worry more about whether it was well altered and less about where you bought it. A $2,500.00 suit that does not fit will not flatter. A fused Chaps Ralph Lauren or whatever MW is selling these days that fits very well can flatter. Consider having photos done when alterations are complete and many knowledgable persons (as well as others) on this forum will offer their views. If additional alterations would be valuable, there are very good tailors in NYC that we can recommend. If the alterations were done well, enjoy it. Even a MW suit, well-fitted, and properly matched with shirt, tie, and shoes will put you far ahead of more than 99% of fellow males.
Well said, Marc! In any case, if you really hate the suit (take some time to think about that), why not sell it on eBay? Also, as a high tech professional, you really don't needs suits
smile.gif
Its been years since I last saw a high tech pro or even executive wearing a suit. (High Tech CEOs wear suits only when going to beg for Wall Street money). At your price point, there are not many well made suits. Jos Bank option is also not that great... However, since these 2 retailers are aimed at older customers, you can try Zara or Banana Republic for a slimmer, younger cut (but not necessary better made) suit.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a high tech pro working for a global high tech company and meeting regularly with customers, suits are de rigeur in our company for anybody likely to meet with the client or senior management. This includes anybody working at a client site, from grad through to CEO.

On campus, technical staff must wear ties, but jackets may be dispensed with. Biz caz Fridays, or if the weather gets nasty.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
As a high tech pro working for a global high tech company and meeting regularly with customers, suits are de rigeur in our company for anybody likely to meet with the client or senior management. This includes anybody working at a client site, from grad through to CEO.

On campus, technical staff must wear ties, but jackets may be dispensed with. Biz caz Fridays, or if the weather gets nasty.

I am excited to read your post, since it is all news to me, Dreamer.
I have been working in one large, but mostly small high tech companies over more then 25 years. Over these years, I had business relations with many leading companies, from Intel to Motorola, Cisco, Nortel, HP and MS among others. I visited their campuses in CA, FL, TX, MA and CO and I currently live in NY, but still have to see what you describe.
I am also curious in what field your company is.
All in all, great news!

shawndo

Reaction score
The best chance you have to find a tech person in a suit, is when the person works in the IT department of a conservative corporation.

I interviewed for a job in San Antonio, TX whose techs have to wear a suit every day. It was internal IT for a large oil company. No customers, still have to wear a suit.

I am now in the IT dept of a financial company in NYC, and even then there are no suits. You'd think NYC banks would be more formal than TX of all places!

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shawndo
I am now in the IT dept of a financial company in NYC, and even then there are no suits. You'd think NYC banks would be more formal than TX of all places!

That's not high tech, it is the money industry
smile.gif

If you are going to see suits at a working place, the money industry is a good candidate. However, according to you, even there the situation is not that great...Now, going back to your initial post, why would you then bother with suits?

shawndo

Reaction score
I'd want a classic charcoal for the occasional interview or wedding. I also want a couple nice, semi-casual suits that I can use to experience some nightlife. There are still &quot;jacket-only&quot; restaurants in NYC as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads