A Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by doughboysc, Apr 27, 2005.

1. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

Recently, I went to DAVID LINDSAY CLOTHIERS in Greenwood, SC last week, and I look at their clothes, They sell clothes and suits by Samuelsohn, Oxxford, Southwick, and shirts and ties by Robert Talbott and Vineyard Vines neckties. I know that RT, Samuelsohn, Oxxford, Southwick does made-to-measure clothing, at expensive prices. And most of their stuff are expensive. Now on the rest of the story, I decided to get remeasured.

I still wear a 20" neck with 36" sleeve, and the guy at the store measured my chest and waist. Now my size the he measured me is now waist size 58" and chest is 60", I remember he said, you can wear 58 Long, I'm around 6'2" and weigh 330 pounds.

What should I buy, made-to-measure (or custom) or off-the-rack?

Tell me why

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Spencer:

1. David Lindsay is a fine, reputable store.
    2. Buy MTM or custom- it will fit you better.

3. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Agree with Steve...

Although at 6'2" 330 I'm pretty sure nobody will walk up to you and make fun if your suit isn't quite right :)

If Oxxford is within the budget I would strongly suggest them to you. For big men Oxxford, IMHO cuts a better fitting suit. Too many makers just double the proportions of a suit for a guy who weighs 165. It doesn't work that way though now does it? Oxxford's cut for a big man seems to me to be more flattering and according to many of my customers a lot more comfortable to wear. One friend I know about your size gets the trousers with the high back and external brace buttons and gets a nice fit as a result.

4. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Is this guy serious?

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I was wondering what happened to doughboysc.

7. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

According to your profile, you're 19 years old. You're a young man.

Not trying to be a prick, but you might want to think about ditching all those TV shows you're interested in, and use a custom suit as an incentive to get into shape.

Good luck to you.

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I actually think Spencer is for real. Sorry bout that.

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Questions like the above are useless.  Were he not serious, then you're just feeding the troll.  Since he is serious, your question brings nothing positive to the thread.  The comments following your question are even worse.  Steve and Chuck were generous enough to provide substantive and accurate responses.  Why can't you guys leave it at that?

10. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Originally Posted by scnupe7,April 28 2005,16:26
    Is this guy serious?
    Questions like the above are useless. Â Were he not serious, then you're just feeding the troll. Â Since he is serious, your question brings nothing positive to the thread. Â The comments following your question are even worse. Â Steve and Chuck were generous enough to provide substantive and accurate responses. Â Why can't you guys leave it at that?
    I did not have any malicious intent behind my question. Â I simply wanted to know if he was some prankster, as there have been several on the board in the past. Â The fact that he lives in Greenwood, SC prompted my question becuase that is where I spent the first 18 years of my life.

11. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

SCnupe - I'm afraid I'll need some proof of that so you'll have to take this quiz: 1.  Name the colors of the following Skoal flavors  - Straight  - Mint  - Vanilla 2.  What is cow-tipping? 3.  What is a flathead (no Policy, it is not me) 4.  What is the plural of y'all? 5.  What is the proof of Everclear? 6.  Complete this sentence:  Yankees _. 7. SEC investigation means: A. You traded stock illegally B. 'Bama done bought them another linebacker ....sorry, we've had some Yankees pretending to be good ole boys lately and I think we need a quick credential check on you [​IMG]

12. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I may fail miserably, but I am willing to take a stab at it. 1. I think mint is green. Or is it blue? Don't know the rest. 2. Pushing a cow over onto its side. 3. A screwdriver? 4. Ya'll is plural 5. 100 proof. 6. Don't know 7. SEC would be Southeastern Conference, not Securities Exchange Commission. So the answer is B.

13. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

See... I knew he was an imposter

1. Brownish/red
    Blue
    Too nasty to remember/care
    2. Pass
    3. Ooooh... Caroliner boy don't know his catfish? -50 points
    4. Trick question: Technically Y'all is singular, All Y'all or you'ins is plural
    5. OOoooooh.... 151 or 190 (Coma versus death)
    6. Suck. - may or not be true but any true Carolina boy would answer thusly
    7. Okay, you got that one

2/7 = Not bad for a left fielder but pretty bad for a SC reb...

Scnupe, I think we'll need DNA evidence to prove your authenticity now. Unless that DNA test comes back to show that mom and dad were related i think we have to conclude that you are a yankee spy.

Hopkins, Doughboy, Alanc and Cusey.... I think we need a review panel to determine this here fellers fate.

14. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Anyone else see ernest trying to translate this one until his head explodes?

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

Only wussies drink 151 proof everclear. It's only for sterilizing the bitemarks from catfish noodling. [​IMG]