• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Question

doughboysc

Reaction score
Recently, I went to DAVID LINDSAY CLOTHIERS in Greenwood, SC last week, and I look at their clothes, They sell clothes and suits by Samuelsohn, Oxxford, Southwick, and shirts and ties by Robert Talbott and Vineyard Vines neckties. I know that RT, Samuelsohn, Oxxford, Southwick does made-to-measure clothing, at expensive prices. And most of their stuff are expensive. Now on the rest of the story, I decided to get remeasured.

I still wear a 20" neck with 36" sleeve, and the guy at the store measured my chest and waist. Now my size the he measured me is now waist size 58" and chest is 60", I remember he said, you can wear 58 Long, I'm around 6'2" and weigh 330 pounds.

What should I buy, made-to-measure (or custom) or off-the-rack?

Tell me why

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Spencer:

1. David Lindsay is a fine, reputable store.
2. Buy MTM or custom- it will fit you better.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Steve...

Although at 6'2" 330 I'm pretty sure nobody will walk up to you and make fun if your suit isn't quite right :)

If Oxxford is within the budget I would strongly suggest them to you. For big men Oxxford, IMHO cuts a better fitting suit. Too many makers just double the proportions of a suit for a guy who weighs 165. It doesn't work that way though now does it? Oxxford's cut for a big man seems to me to be more flattering and according to many of my customers a lot more comfortable to wear. One friend I know about your size gets the trousers with the high back and external brace buttons and gets a nice fit as a result.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what happened to doughboysc.

YMark

Reaction score
According to your profile, you're 19 years old. You're a young man.

Not trying to be a prick, but you might want to think about ditching all those TV shows you're interested in, and use a custom suit as an incentive to get into shape.

Good luck to you.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this guy serious?
Questions like the above are useless.  Were he not serious, then you're just feeding the troll.  Since he is serious, your question brings nothing positive to the thread.  The comments following your question are even worse.  Steve and Chuck were generous enough to provide substantive and accurate responses.  Why can't you guys leave it at that?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7,April 28 2005,16:26
Is this guy serious?
Questions like the above are useless. Â Were he not serious, then you're just feeding the troll. Â Since he is serious, your question brings nothing positive to the thread. Â The comments following your question are even worse. Â Steve and Chuck were generous enough to provide substantive and accurate responses. Â Why can't you guys leave it at that?
I did not have any malicious intent behind my question. Â I simply wanted to know if he was some prankster, as there have been several on the board in the past. Â The fact that he lives in Greenwood, SC prompted my question becuase that is where I spent the first 18 years of my life.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SCnupe - I'm afraid I'll need some proof of that so you'll have to take this quiz: 1.  Name the colors of the following Skoal flavors  - Straight  - Mint  - Vanilla 2.  What is cow-tipping? 3.  What is a flathead (no Policy, it is not me) 4.  What is the plural of y'all? 5.  What is the proof of Everclear? 6.  Complete this sentence:  Yankees _. 7. SEC investigation means: A. You traded stock illegally B. 'Bama done bought them another linebacker ....sorry, we've had some Yankees pretending to be good ole boys lately and I think we need a quick credential check on you
wink.gif

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SCnupe - I'm afraid I'll need some proof of that so you'll have to take this quiz: 1.  Name the colors of the following Skoal flavors  - Straight  - Mint  - Vanilla 2.  What is cow-tipping? 3.  What is a flathead (no Policy, it is not me) 4.  What is the plural of y'all? 5.  What is the proof of Everclear? 6.  Complete this sentence:  Yankees _. 7.  SEC investigation means:     A.  You traded stock illegally     B.  'Bama done bought them another linebacker ....sorry, we've had some Yankees pretending to be good ole boys lately and I think we need a quick credential check on you
wink.gif
I may fail miserably, but I am willing to take a stab at it. 1. I think mint is green. Or is it blue? Don't know the rest. 2. Pushing a cow over onto its side. 3. A screwdriver? 4. Ya'll is plural 5. 100 proof. 6. Don't know 7. SEC would be Southeastern Conference, not Securities Exchange Commission. So the answer is B.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See... I knew he was an imposter

1. Brownish/red
Blue
Too nasty to remember/care
2. Pass
3. Ooooh... Caroliner boy don't know his catfish? -50 points
4. Trick question: Technically Y'all is singular, All Y'all or you'ins is plural
5. OOoooooh.... 151 or 190 (Coma versus death)
6. Suck. - may or not be true but any true Carolina boy would answer thusly
7. Okay, you got that one

2/7 = Not bad for a left fielder but pretty bad for a SC reb...

Scnupe, I think we'll need DNA evidence to prove your authenticity now. Unless that DNA test comes back to show that mom and dad were related i think we have to conclude that you are a yankee spy.

Hopkins, Doughboy, Alanc and Cusey.... I think we need a review panel to determine this here fellers fate.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else see ernest trying to translate this one until his head explodes?

mnemonic

Reaction score
Only wussies drink 151 proof everclear. It's only for sterilizing the bitemarks from catfish noodling.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads