• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for you victims of crotch blow outs.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How exactly does this occur? I mean... do you see a certain area getting thinner and perhaps the threading slowly tearing and then one day bam.. or does the crotch area look fine and then one day it rips and you have a little hole?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
How exactly does this occur? I mean... do you see a certain area getting thinner and perhaps the threading slowly tearing and then one day bam.. or does the crotch area look fine and then one day it rips and you have a little hole?

It gets thinner progressively. I've only had it happen a few times and its usually after a couple years of wear.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best thread title ever?

Reaction score
have no fear, man it's THE FEAR that causes crotch explosions

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the video.

west coast wonderboy

Reaction score
crw1724be4.jpg

be afraid...

delirium

Reaction score
So, many of my jeans have been developing crotch holes; even jeans that are a moderate slim fit or regular fit
eh.gif
. I'm not sure how to prevent it. I have fairly large legs, so I think that's part of the problem. Any suggestions? Are crotch holes inevitable except for relaxed jeans?

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
seems to me crotch blow-outs are caused by how you wear your jeans. sagging your jeans just adds more stress to the crotch. I wear my jeans usually just wear they feel most comfortable, a little above the hips, and I've had no problems with the crotch wearing out...

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually my Oni Reds have holes in them. But then I wear them pretty much everyday. So relaxed jeans can have crotch blowns.

Serg

Reaction score
relaxed jeans can develop holes but if the top block isn't really fitted you wont get the huge random rips.

delirium

Reaction score
I don't understand why I have so much "crotch wear." That particular region of my jeans tends to weaken quickly.

Someone above said that sagging will stress the crotch more which makes sense. However, I wear my jeans normally.

Anyone else?

chiral

Reaction score
I just finished repairing/patching my 9 month old rescues which had developed large holes in the crotch area. They started gradually, but once they completely wore through in a small area the entire threadbare area basically disintegrated.

I think my problem was mostly caused by the fact that I bicycle everywhere, and for a large amount of time these were my main daily wear jean, so the repetitive motion of rubbing against the saddle just wore them down.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jeans and trousers are both subject to this problem.
if its an area wearing thin its just abrasion. its the two legs rubbing together. it happens more often on those having larger thigh muscles. after all its only cloth and it will wear out.
if its the seams that split open its usually because the rise is too long.

converge

Reaction score
My Slim Jim's sized down 2 are starting to show signs of an imminent crotch blow-out. I've worn them for about a year. There is no rip yet but some obvious signs of wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads