• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for lawyers and current law students

Spilotro

Reaction score
I'm about to start my bachelors program this fall, which will take me a couple of years, then I plan to go to law school. Would it be wise to begin prepping for the LSAT now, and what would you recommend I do to prepare myself for it? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Paul

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did 7 or 8 practice tests. Some people spend months (doing what IDK), and some people do a few properly timed practice tests and see that they are where they need/want to be.

I would say that a year before you plan to write, read a bit about the test, understand the test enough to do a proper practice test, and see where you are. For that matter, you could do this now to see if you are even remotely close to where you need to be (or past it out of the gate).

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it would be wise to start prepping for the LSAT now. Enjoy your undergard education while you can.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't know if it would be wise to start prepping for the LSAT now. Enjoy your undergard education while you can.

Yeah, don't even think about the LSAT until 3 months before you're going to take it. There's just no reason to.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
I'm about to start my bachelors program this fall, which will take me a couple of years, then I plan to go to law school. Would it be wise to begin prepping for the LSAT now, and what would you recommend I do to prepare myself for it? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Paul

Go on line and read up about a company called test-masters. I know several people in law school who used them and spoke highly of them-especially because they did so well on the LSAT. They should give you a recommendation about when to start studying for the LSAT-I would think about 3 months prior to the exam, as others have mentioned. Also, do enjoy undergrad, b/c you may not enjoy law school and have an even better chance of not enjoying your job when you pass the bar.
plain.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR

I would say that a year before you plan to write, read a bit about the test, understand the test enough to do a proper practice test, and see where you are. For that matter, you could do this now to see if you are even remotely close to where you need to be (or past it out of the gate).

I'd say this is about right. In general, if you tend to do well on standardized tests like the SAT and whatnot, that'll probably translate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's more important for you to figure out what law school is actually like before you wholeheartedly commit to it. There are several threads here that will give you some insights. If you decide that you really want to go, start looking at the LSAT about 6 months before the test. That should give you plenty of time to figure out what you need to work on to do well.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All things being equal, a top top LSAT score will land you in a great law school, as compared to just a decent law school.

And you do know the advantages to attending a well-known, top 25 school.

There is no such thing as preparing for the LSAT too early. 3 months prior to the actual test is for chumps. If you have the time, there is no reason to NOT starting to familiarize yourself with the test format, do sample tests, and even enroll in a class.

Remember, a difference of even just 10 points on your LSAT will mean a top 25 school vs. a so-so school. That's if your undergrad GPA is also excellent, and not reflective of the typical "I'm going to college to drink ****** off" attitude.

Also, since you seem to know that your want to go to law school, college is merely a "stepping stone." Remember, you can always go to a community college once you have an established career and learn subjects/topics to be a "well-rounded" person. Whereas you only get one shot to do well in collge to get into law school.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prepped for 6 months for the LSAT. 3 Years might be overkill.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start planing the summer before your Junior year. Take a test basically cold and see where you are. If you need to come up like 50 points start studying, if not wait a bit. Figure out when your due dates are for applications, usually around DEC 1st for early admission, Jan-Mar for last minute apps. Take the LSAT early enough so if you botch it you can take it again ( about 6-8 months before your applications are due). If you are really worried about it take an LSAT course over the summer between Junior and Senior year.
Don't even think about **** for a few years yet.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
I only have taken the GRE (applied for clinical psych doctoral programs), but I've had a few friends who took the LSAT and are in law school now (as well as my entire family being attorneys).

From what I understand, and this is 2nd hand, a lot of the test is going to be logic and problem solving, among other sections. Instead of specifically studying to the test, why not talk to advisors for law school (even at some decent schools) and ask what major and specifically what classes will benefit you most for the LSAT and law school in general.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, you do not want to take the test twice. If you get a 160 then a 166, most schools will call it a 163.

Also, +1 for taking classes (such as symbolic logic) that may help.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
All things being equal, a top top LSAT score will land you in a great law school, as compared to just a decent law school.

And you do know the advantages to attending a well-known, top 25 school.

There is no such thing as preparing for the LSAT too early. 3 months prior to the actual test is for chumps. If you have the time, there is no reason to NOT starting to familiarize yourself with the test format, do sample tests, and even enroll in a class.

Remember, a difference of even just 10 points on your LSAT will mean a top 25 school vs. a so-so school. That's if your undergrad GPA is also excellent, and not reflective of the typical "I'm going to college to drink ****** off" attitude.

Also, since you seem to know that your want to go to law school, college is merely a "stepping stone." Remember, you can always go to a community college once you have an established career and learn subjects/topics to be a "well-rounded" person. Whereas you only get one shot to do well in collge to get into law school.

Bullshit. First off your only young once. This does NOT mean drink until half dead every night and blow off everything to chase ass, but you can't go back and relive being 18 by enrolling in some CC. Having a thought to your future is good. BEing motivated is good. Being that freaky dude in the library studying for a test FOUR YEARS away is bad. College is not just a stepping stone, meet some people, get laid, snort a line and have a few shots, sneak into the deans office and nail some young thing on his desk, and MAKE SOME ******* FRIENDS.
People take a year off, switch majors, travel, leave college for a few years and still ******* KILL it in life.
Please note I am not suggesting you just mail it in throughout college and roll over and start studying a week before the LSAT. Have a plan, talk to your advisor, take challenging classes and do well but I can promise you that you can get into a killer law school and still wander a bit as an undergrad and you will be much happier for it.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
From what I understand, you do not want to take the test twice. If you get a 160 then a 166, most schools will call it a 163.

Also, +1 for taking classes (such as symbolic logic) that may help.

I've heard both, that they average your scores, and I've heard that they take your higher score. My good friend took the LSAT twice, got the same score both times (or at least pretty close), but mentioned that he thought the higher score took the cake.

Regardless, I think not worrying about the LSAT yet, doing your research on what classes will help, is the best course of action.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Start planing the summer before your Junior year. Take a test basically cold and see where your at.

...and see where you are.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads