• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for lawyers and current law students

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
With due respect to Great Satchmo, there is no college class that will prepare you for the LSAT . . .

I've been told that philosophy majors generally blow the roof off of the logic games sections.

Originally Posted by yerfdog
even if there was, you wouldn't want to take it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A friend of mine that took the test last december suggested I read a philosophy book (forget the name) to help in preparing for the test.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a philosophy major (and am a current law student) and, as I said before, symbolic logic helped a lot. Google it. Take a class in it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I've been told that philosophy majors generally blow the roof off of the logic games sections.

I was a philosophy major and the logic sections were easy for me--I usually got perfect or near perfect scores in them (one or two wrong). The games section was my weak spot.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did fairly well on the LSAT. I only took it once, so I did not have the luxury of taking it without being nervous. The one recommendation I could give would be to practice with time constaints. Literally, you are done with one section, turn the page, and start the next. There is no time between sections to let your brain switch gears. This is the biggest thing that caught me off guard

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I have been considering taking the LSATs fo most of the year and on a whim decided to take a fee practice test by Kaplan next month and am aiming on taking the real test this october in time for sending early applications by December. Some questions:

2. I had a weak GPA in college (2.6 cumulative, 3.0 in one of my majors). Am I screwed out of getting into a top 100 scool? Even with a strong LSAT score (over 160) and resume/recommendations?

I had a year of work experience between undergrad and Law School. I had a cummulative 2.5 GPA (I loved to party and not go to class). I scored a 163 on the LSAT and got into a top 50 law school. If you are set on a school that is semi-competitive, focus on your application and get a little work in the legal field.
I am now in the top 20% of my law school class.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
A friend of mine that took the test last december suggested I read a philosophy book (forget the name) to help in preparing for the test.

Just get the powerscores bibles. they seem to be the best for LR and LG. They will teach you all the formal logic you need and you won't waste time on stuff that's irrelevant for the lsat. learn to diagram then do as many real practice tests as you need to.

Spilotro

Reaction score
I very much appreciate all of the advice so far, you guys are great!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I concur, all this input has been much appreciated. I think for me, taking the free practice test in July would be a great way of figuring out where I stand and where I need work. Then I will be starting the classes (looking between Powerscore, TestMasters180 and Griffon Prep) in late July/early August.

This should be interesting.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Take as many logic courses as you can if you aren't going to major in philosophy, and hope that your IQ is high since it's a pretty direct correlation to the LSAT.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get an internship with a party planner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics