1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Proper Trench

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mjd

mjd Senior member

Well my Burberrys full length trench arrived today - it's built like a tank. I'm a bit surprised however about how bulky they fit torso-wise. shoulders and arms are fine but boy it is roomy. However, I am a very slim and short fellow so I can't really be surprised. I'd recommend hitting up eBay or a thift shop to find a vintage trench!

2. Busa

Busa Senior member

Looks like that ad thingy in the Will Smith movie "Hancock"... lol

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

So is mine. I can fit another person in it with me. I want to see if I can get it slimmed. Based on pics the Brooks one is practically an exact copy of the Burberry one.

E: dd is correct, I get my shirts and suits from Frank. Shoes I get at Leffot, none are bespoke. Yet.

4. mjd

mjd Senior member

That's a good way to put it, it's a 2-person trench.

5. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

That's part of the reason I decided to return mine. (In addition to the beetle damage on the wool liners.) The seller said it was on the small side of 40R since it was vintage, but the epaulettes ended a bit down my shoulder and I could wear a puffa coat underneath it.

Does anyone know who manufactured the "Made in England" coats for Brooks Brothers?

6. patrickBOOTH

My brooks coat says Made in USA.

The epaulets end just find on my shoulder the armhole is just a bit low. The roominess doesn't bother me too much. I like drapey, and well, it is a raincoat and meant for function like I have been saying this whole thread. Overcoats are a different story, imo. Walking around in the cold and such is different than running through the rain and peeling it off.

7. patrickBOOTH

The small side of a 40 should be exactly 40 inches. Most 40 jackets are somewhat bigger, because they should be to properly fit.

8. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

^ Yeah. I think he was off on the sizing. Fit me more like a 42 or a 44. There was no size tag, so I can't be sure, though.

The one I returned was made in the US, but I found another vintage BB coat that says "Made in England."

9. patrickBOOTH

Flan, what did you end up doing with the coat? You returned, it yes? Was it to NJ because it looks like there is one with some damage to the collar on ebay right now. I'm thinking of getting it because my 42 might just be too big I could probably attach the collar of my current one to the slightly smaller one. Might be worth a shot....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

11. patrickBOOTH

Im just curious if buying one one size smaller is going to make any difference with the armholes. Not sure if it is worth it or not. Also, another issue is that the sleeves will get shorter as well, which can be an issue for my neanderthal arms.

12. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Raglan sleeves are tough. I can tell you that I'm 6' 2" and the sleeves were plenty long on me... The shoulders/armholes were roomy, but I'd imagine they're probably a touch smaller than a 42.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  13. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Ordered a Alexander McQueen from ebay - new without tags for about 200 all in. Just arrived and looks nice though I need the sleeves a bit shorter.

It is tan and is about knee length which seems a reasonable compromise. Fashionable but also keeping me dry.

First McQueen I own. Not sure of qualitu but looks good and is as expected trim fitting. Ebay can be nice

14. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

What is the right fabric weight if one look to get a trench made? And think on the heavier side as I am in Canada.

15. patrickBOOTH

Nothing under 13oz, imo.

16. mjd

mjd Senior member

It has been raining in central Canada lately, and friday I was able to really test out my Burberry in the pouring rain. By pouring rain, I mean hard to see a few feet in front of you etc. I was able to stay perfectly dry, so here's a vote for getting a quality trench. I even found the roomier fit for the Burberry to help with keeping me cool in the humidity.

17. patrickBOOTH

It was raining today when I left for work, but far too humid to even think about putting on a coat. I was sweating like crazy in my suit jacket. Days like these if you don't get wet from the outside you are just going to soak in sweat anyways.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  18. mjd

mjd Senior member

I admit I don't wear a full suit in the warmer months.

19. patrickBOOTH

I do, and pride myself on it. I also complain endlessly during the summer. My vanity is greater than my misery.

20. mjd

mjd Senior member

And without pride you have nothing and vanity helps build pride. Well done sir, you're making the right choice.