• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Proper Trench

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The makers still make them, but what's present in any given area depends on what shops want to stock, given the preferences of their customers.

If you're still keen on Burberry, can you order via their website? Not ideal compared to trying one on, but...

Also, Aquascutum do still make them.There are a few NWT Aquascutum long trenches on eBay, but it's a crap shoot for finding your preferred colour/size. I've had a saved search for ages, and not found the ideal one yet.

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
Patrick,

That sounds like one busy shopping day shopping!

Did any of the places have sales on medium length trenches? I could even consider that given the lack of choices.

It sounds like one needs a reason to visit London to get the full length trench, or order one from the UK?

ddgdl

Reaction score
I went to every Burberry I could, their "full length" coats aren't all that full length. I asked them to make me one longer and they told me no.

Yesterday I went to Bergdorf, Barney's, bloomies, brooks, Paul Stuart, j press, cenci, Armani, ysl, Loro Piana. Nobody has a long trench. I searched eBay today and it seems that the only truly long trenches are vintage. It feels wrong to look at ebay, but what can I do?

I went with a vintage Burberry...for $60 (from a fellow SFer, no less). Works for me
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bertie

Reaction score
I am not a fan of all the bells and whistles on traditional trenches and struggle with the inspector gadget look. The Sanyo coat in the link seems a bridge between the Burberry and Mac.

http://www.sanyofashionhouse.com/cortlandt-sb-trench-with-belt.html

I've decided to get an overcoat made up from covert fabric and very light lining to use in place of a trench but I live in a place it can (and has) snowed in every month of the year so hard core rain protection is not as necessary as on the east coast or the UK.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish i had known you were looking as I had a vintage Burberry db trench sitting in my closet for the longest. It was tagged a 40L - fit me well enough but was just too long and didn't think I'd wear it enough. But everyone loved to look at it - it had the plaid lining and even a camel colored neck liner that buttoned on.

I also have the Duncan coat, the mackintosh/jcrew collaboration. It's nice but it's really just quarter lined with a thin cotton tartan lining. That being said, it really keeps in the warmth so I was comfortable in temps at around 45 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. But the Burberry looks like a different beast altogether.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a vintage made in america brooks coat online. By the pics and such it is in mint condition, better looking quality than the burberry's and the longest I have found in measurements. It was cheap at around $200. That can hold me over until I come across something I like better. Then again this coat just might be perfect. Will post with a follow up.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got the coat today. It is pretty awesome I will post pictures when I get a chance. Much longer than anything I tried on in a store. Very old school. Ultimately worth the $200.

steezy

Reaction score
Can anybody comment on the general fit of Burberry vs Aquascutum? I feel that I read somewhere that Aquascutum runs slimmer, but it just might be my imagination.

I look forward to seeing the pictures Patrick.

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
same question as above - can anyone comment on the Acquascutum sizing? say versus Burberry?

I may try to buy on line but want a sense of the fit...

Ennius

Reaction score
one more question on Acquascutum.

Looks like some are made in Canada. Are others made elsewhere? Any quality difference?

Thanks

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, during my excursions the Burberry trench comes in two styles, classic and slim. The classic is their fuller cut coat, however the issue is they only stock "regular" lengths not longs any more. The slim one is slimmer and shorter all around.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

one more question on Acquascutum.

Looks like some are made in Canada.  Are others made elsewhere?  Any quality difference?

Thanks

Acquscutum is made in England, at least their high end ones.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH I thought Aquascutum went bust last year and the UK factory in Corby closed. Apparently the brand bought by some Asian fashion conglomerate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads