1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Proper Trench

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

They used to be made in the UK, now most of their trenches are made in Italy. They also had a concession in Canada, which I believe was sold when the company went broke. I don't think there's much difference in quality, though the top of the line coats were always made in Corby.

For the person asking about fit, the newer ones are slimmer, and more in line with Burberry's cut (i.e. order your suit size). The older styles (Kingsgate for example) are generously sized so depending on how you like to wear your coat you might consider sizing down.

The major problem was Aquascutum didn't own the rights to their own product in Asia, which is where the growth is in the luxury sector. As it turns out their Asian distributor ended up buying out the parent company.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I can see from that they'd want to move production nearer to home to save money, and possibly refocus as a brand whore fashion name, with the focus on the branding and the famous name, rather than the quality. The sort of thing Hermes Man in Malaysia loves. Presumably the high end stuff will still be made in Italy. Rather like Burberry.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. mjd

mjd Senior member

Will you be posting a pic of the trench you picked up PB?

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I suppose it depends on what they think the Asian market wants. Asian consumers may be as reluctant (rightly or wrongly) to pay top dollar for Asian made goods as many Westerners are. Saving money on production is only part of the equation - if they can command a hefty premium for European made goods then that will more than offset any extra production costs compared to say China, where costs are rising all the time anyway.

Then again, Burberry is making money hand over fist and the old Aquascutum went broke... which business model do you think the new owners are going to adopt? Of course they will focus on branding etc. though that doesn't mean quality will totally go out the window... at least for core products. Whatever happens I wish the brand well and hope it gets a new lease of life under new management.

6. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Inspired by this, I picked up a NWOT, vintage BB Made in the USA trench for +/- $200 on the bay. I think it's probably a bargain compared to what I've seen out there. From the pics, it really looks to be NWOT. There isn't any wear on the leather-covered buckles at all.

7. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

I was similarly inspired, though by PB's earlier post. Picked up a vintage Burberry (long) trench for $60 on ebay. As far as I can see, it has extremely minimal wear (two small scuffs) on the buckles, and no visible wear anywhere else. The reason for the low price was the zip-in liner was missing, but I get so warm in trench coats that I never wear the liner anyways. Probably my best ebay purchase in a number of years- and it was from a fellow SFer, too, I believe. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I will be. My girlfriend is in Boston this weekend so I probably won't have an opportunity for a proper pic until next week. I hate to say this, but I am kind of looking forward to the rain on Monday. I am pissed my Kirchtag umbrella isn't here yet, however.

@Flaneur: I love mine, it isn't perfect, a little wear on the leather buckles, but it is just patina and bound to happen on any jacket. All in all, I wanted a functional coat and that is what I got so I am happy.

9. mjd

mjd Senior member

I just purchased a double breasted vintage Burberry trench a few days ago via ebay and I'm also looking forward to the snow melting here and spring rains starting so I can wear it as well.

10. patrickBOOTH

I hope it is long enough that your trousers stay in tact in that rain!

11. mjd

mjd Senior member

Went vintage for the full length :)

12. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

Same here.

13. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

$60? Sweet score!
    Being happy with a functional garment is all I ever want. I thought maybe you'd gotten it from the same seller. I was surprised because I didn't expect to find one NWOT. Do you know if yours is the "Alexander" model? This model is 49" long from the collar seam. With a measuring tape that seems to hit me about mid-calf. I'll find out when I get it how long it is for sure, but I just ordered it on Wednesday and it's coming from Cali. (Scratch that. This one is coming from VA. The CA one was single breasted.))
    :nodding:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  14. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

I am not sure what model. It looks just like the burberry. It is about 49" long, yes. Long enough without looking too stupid. It has the removable lining and a removable felted collar. It is very nice.

16. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I'm thinking it's the same one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  17. mjd

mjd Senior member

That is almost exactly what I just bought off the 'bay. 34R which was hard to find.

18. patrickBOOTH

19. mjd

mjd Senior member

Here is the [​IMG]one i got.

20. patrickBOOTH

One thing I noticed about this style, which is what I have as well is that it buttons like a lady's coat, right over left. What is up with that?

Is that like a traditional British thing, because I recall having English made things in the past that zippered and buttoned opposite as well?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013