1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Proper Trench

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 27, 2013.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Double breasted is better for flashing. The wrap keeps you warmer.

Well, I will admit I have owned lower quality ones in the past and have always ended up selling them on ebay. I love the functionality and the fact that I can keep more of a crease in my trousers when wearing one, but the issue is when it rains and I am out walking in a trench I sweat profusely so the feeling of being in one is horrible. I am just getting so sick of soggy trousers I might have to yet again, suck it up and pull the trigger on one.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

That's a nice one; pretty much identical in broad style details to the Aq. Kingsgate, I think. For me personally, it's a couple of shades too pale. I think that's Burberry's "khaki" colour, but IIRC they also do a "honey" which is much closer to the colour I prefer in a trench.

Trenchs are even more annoying to size right than overcoats though, so if you buy online make sure there's a returns policy and you're happy to put up with that hassle if you need to.

BTW, I'm surprised you get sweaty in a trench; at least I never have. Maybe you're a faster/more energetic walker than me. I don't think that's just a cotton v manmade thing; I know my Kingsgate is pure cotton, but I think one of the other raincoats I own may (can't remember for sure) be a cotton-rich blend, but even with that, it's fine. Just steer clear of the old-fashioned plasticky kinds of raincoat & you should be fine, I'd say.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

Nice to have friends in high places! I've never been a big fan of tan raincoats, though I acknowledge that it is probably the most proper color. I don't like the collar of the ones you guys referred to. I'll post a picture of mine this afternoon, you can have at that.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

You could probably find something serviceable in the Loro Piana Storm System book. Though I have to think it costs a pretty penny.

The only time I've seen one bespoke was at Nino Corvato's shop. He used cotton gabardine which he Scotchguarded.

I asked him how waterproof it was (since the seams weren't taped, etc.) and he just shrugged.

5. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I was thinking maybe cavalry twill. I don't think a business raincoat needs to be 100% perfectly waterproof. It is not like you are going to be standing in pouring rain for 8 hours.

Holdfast, I am a greasy guinea as it is, so the breathability issues of the rain coat make it worse.

6. Holdfast

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

That would be warm. Not a bad thing but something that would bother me.

If you'd consider that, why not something like a 13 / 14 oz tweed? You could always scotchguard it and that will help.

8. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, but then we are getting into, "Why not just wear by overcoat?" The cotton gab with scotch sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm not so sure if Frank can, or is willing to do a removable flannel liner or anything though. I think I am set, at least, on the design of the Burberry one. I like that if I get one made have more options for color.

9. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

The Anne Hathaway

I really liked the navy Grenfell one that used to be on the Armoury's site.

10. Holdfast

Hey, I have plenty of Greek genes in me ; that Mediterranean heritage comes with a price!

Still, even so, I'm sure you'll be fine with a normal pure cotton trench that doesn't have any weird fancy rubberised coating.

11. mymil

mymil Distinguished Member

12. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

I have also been in search of the perfect trench for some time now. Unfortunately, no luck as of yet, but I did stumble upon this rib-tickler:

[​IMG]

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

I've got a Burberry just like that one, purchased from eBay UK quite a few years back.

The outer layer is 100% cotton (whereas most Burberry trenches nowadays have a blended fabric) and it came with a button-in, camelhair liner for colder weather.

Given that daytime temps in winter here rarely go below 15 degrees celsius, I've never yet used the liner!

It is a brilliant coat and, whilst expensive, should last a lifetime.

14. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

Let us know what Frank says- I'd be interested to hear his reaction.

15. williamson

williamson Senior Member

The single-breasted fly-front raglan-sleeve raincoat (which Holdfast has sometimes depicted in WAYWRN) is a classical style which has been around since the 1930s (it used to be referred to as the slip-on style) and is certainly not a late 1980s invention or fashion. I see it as a style for light rain, the true trench-coat being better for more "serious" rain.