1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

A Proper Trench

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 27, 2013.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Oconnell's only a had a green one in my size and they don't make the "real thing" anymore to order more.

2. Coburn

Coburn Senior Member

3. bc78

bc78 Senior Member

4. macjedi

macjedi Senior Member

I’ve been looking for a proper trench for 10 years. I wear a 34-36S, so fit has been a big problem. That, and living in Southern California, makes it hard to justify spending real money. I gave up and bought one at J.Crew on sale for around $250. It’s good enough for now.

0DBE4E4E-DBAB-46DD-8BEE-9E214C06B7A6.jpeg 6163C1D4-7611-4496-BDB2-3A55F4E5D605.jpeg BD472187-E99C-4E2B-8250-18C5B73C0871.jpeg

5. patrickBOOTH

I am still wearing the Fleabay brooks coat from this thread. I think I have been wearing it enough to know that when I get around to getting a bespoke one, I find that the detachable lining is superfluous. I never attach mine, it is annoying and I find with my winter weight suits the cotton twill fabric is fine enough on its own. If it is cold enough that you need it it is most likely snowing by then anyway. The fit still bothers me. When you go everyday wearing clothes somebody made, anything else feels very noticeably off. The low armholes, shorter than ideal sleeves, and back balance bug me, but honestly nobody probably notices. I find it does kind of stand out, people look at it as this classic style is a bit costumey. At work people love humming the Inspector Gadget theme song at me.

6. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I hope every once in a while your co-workers buy you a big salad in appreciation of the hours of amusement that you provide. I know I would.

7. patrickBOOTH

We all keep each other on our toes. My latest nickname in the office is "General Malaise".

8. iurvox

iurvox Active Member

9. patrickBOOTH

10. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

About a year and a half ago I got an Aquascutum Bogart trench coat. I wrangled hard over the decision because of the price (and buying site unseen). I really couldn't be happier. Like others, I lament the fact that modern trench coats are too short. I had been using a Banana Republic trench - which actually wasn't bad, it was just too short. The coat does it's job well - even though I don't actually spend a lot of time out in the rain. But, it is without a doubt, stylish as all get out. I also like that they have pass-through pockets so I can reach through the pockets and into pants pockets for phone or wallet. The only real thing missing would have been a detachable liner for warmth. But, it just looks so much better than the soft fabric coats (like London Fog) and it was one of the few currently made coats I could find that is full length.

11. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

Just now joining this thread.

The Armoury carries Coherence and their cool Al trench coat. Modeled after Albert Camus’ classic trench he always wore.

Grenfell makes interesting looking classic trenches.

12. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

I know Ben Silver carries the single breasted Grenfell

* Not traditional DB Trencher, I know!

13. Mercurio

Mercurio Senior Member

14. patrickBOOTH

15. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

I think that is too short for pB