• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Proper Trench

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Good thread. I just realized how much more affordable the Brooks Brothers trench (womens) is at ($398) compared to Burberry. Now I need to convince my fiance she doesn't need the Burberry. Burberry didn't quite fit her right OTR. Even if BB doesn't quite fit perfectly there's plenty of budget left for good alterations.

We got a wedding to pay for...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well if you are buying something new they are all short. Impossible to find a proper long trench other than vintage unfortunately.

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good thread. I just realized how much more affordable the Brooks Brothers trench (womens) is at ($398) compared to Burberry. Now I need to convince my fiance she doesn't need the Burberry. Burberry didn't quite fit her right OTR. Even if BB doesn't quite fit perfectly there's plenty of budget left for good alterations.

We got a wedding to pay for...

If she's game, eBay is an great place to get Burberry trenches for great prices. That's where I got mine. Under $200, brand new.

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well if you are buying something new they are all short. Impossible to find a proper long trench other than vintage unfortunately.

Exactly.

I will say that after being out in a week of heavy rain, the full length below the knee trench was fantastic.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know you are not lying but I find this impossible to believe. It is a raincoat - why wouldn't people want it to be long?

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Both my fiance and I have proportionally shorter legs. I know she preferred the shorter cut Burberry to the longer one she tried at the shop. I myself quite fancy my shorter trench as well which just a tad longer than my suit jackets. Style over function, I guess....isn't that the moniker of this board???

smoothmoose

Reaction score

If she's game, eBay is an great place to get Burberry trenches for great prices. That's where I got mine. Under $200, brand new.

Good point, though I already spend way too much time on this forum as does she on other fashion sites. I think we can do without scouring around too much on eBay (just did a quick search and didn't find something in her size). That said, $200 is definitely a good savings for Burberry even if gently preowned.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I think that it probably doesn't create the right look for enough people these days, because they want something that looks cool when unbuttoned rather than something that keeps them dry better when buttoned. Long DB trenches are rarely flattering when unbuttoned (well, few DB anythings are when unbuttoned) but they certainly do the job in keeping the wearer dry. I know which I prefer in a trench but as pB says, that isn't particularly in fashion right now. It'll come back at some point, I'm sure.

A wider point is that I think that a lot of trench manufacturers have realised that people nowadays frequently want to wear their items casually, over a sweater for example, rather than over a suit or jacket. So a shorter & trimmer cut in a single-breasted pattern becomes more popular, as it tends to looks more flattering in that setting (it gives people back the look of that jacket they're not wearing, if you like...). Even when they do make DBs, you tend to have to choose between a loose/long/traditional style or a trim/short one. Ideally, I'd want a trim, long version. I was in Burberry the other day and tried on a few versions, and my ideal trench was a mix of two of their models, but short of their custom programme, I wouldn't be able to get that design (even with custom, they weren't entirely convinced it could be done, but this was not one of their regular shops, so the staff weren't fully trained on its limits I think).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much all of that Holdfast. Like I mentioned earlier when I went into Burberry and tried on some of their models, one was close but they said they discontinued making a "Long" and only make regulars, whih is annoying. They suggested just sizing up to get the length I needed but in doing so it looked horrible. I asked them to check to see if I can get a custom one in my chest size but sleeves and hem the proper length and they said they couldn't do it. By, "custom" they said they can only change colors, and buttons and such. Very disappointing.

williamson

Reaction score

Style over function, I guess....isn't that the moniker of this board???

I sincerely hope NOT!
...Long DB trenches...certainly do the job in keeping the wearer dry...as pB says, that isn't particularly in fashion right now. It'll come back at some point, I'm sure.

Fashion is often the enemy of practicality; but it occasionally makes a right turning.
Holdfast said:
...Even when they do make DBs, you tend to have to choose between a loose/long/traditional style or a trim/short one. Ideally, I'd want a trim, long version.
I'm sure many more men would - but how do we get that over to the manufacturers? There are some tall, slim men out there, after all! Earlier posters write as if they overcome this problem by buying vintage, but that will never be the answer that everyone favours.

Ennius

Reaction score
I confess to preferring the short slim style, though they arent very practicle for serious rain. Now that I have a knee length khaki trench, I am waiting for big sale on Black Fleece navy one that is short - as my fashion one.

Though the hard driving rain in NYC last night reminded me of value of long trench over style at key times!

Coburn

Reaction score
Here's a great thread on Trench Coats on Cutter and Tailor
http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?s=84cbf3af4bf6e3a78bce4bde0bb487ae&showtopic=1227

smoothmoose

Reaction score
FYI for lurkers following this thread, Brooks Brother's annual 50% sale is on right now. And both men's and women's trench coats are on sale. The women's is 50% off at $199. Now if I can only convince the fiance to give it try. Her heart is still pretty set on Burberry even though the fit wasn't that great when she tried. I think at $199 we can spend as much as she needs on tailoring to get the perfect fit...

...I know the wiser men here and around the world might advise me to better pick my battles...and maybe this is a battle I can't win. But I already agreed to increase the budget on our wedding bands...what is a man to do?...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can somebody give me advice on getting a proper trench coat for the rain? Before everybody tells me to go to Burberry I'd like to know if there are better options. Furthermore I would like it to be very classic in style. I see a lot of trenches in the city and I am kind of overwhelmed by the variety. If I only have one trench what should it be? Thanks a bunch.

The Real Thing:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=20348&cat=263&page=2

http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/mens-coats/374/

My Dad had one in grey wool gabardine which was water repellant. It was part of his World War 2 officers uniform.
You don't see these anymore AFAIK, but they were a great alternative to the traditional cotton/cotton blend options
available today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads