• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A portion of my collection of vintage cufflinks

cuffthis

Reaction score
I began collecting vintage double sided and snap type cufflinks in the mid-1980's. I first started collecting pairs on base metal, sterling and the occasional 10k, 14k & 18k pairs, as these were the most abundant ones and the ones that fit my affordability level easiest. These consist of simple engine turned metals, reverse painted glass, enamels, figurals, precious and semi-precious stones and other sub-categories. I love them all but I am particulary fond of the extreme top right pair, which features owl's heads on sterling, with ruby eyes. All of these pairs are double sided. I have my snap pairs in different displays. I eventually started collecting only precious metals and higher end cufflinks. But I also still proudly wear my "cheap and cheerful" pairs, of which most of these are. Each pair has a story behind it. How I found it, where it was bought, who owned it before, etc. Collecting is fun, and the ideal antidote for stress (along with laughter - and wine, of course)

Jill

Reaction score
Love them. Would love to see more.

If I may be so terribly crass, what is the least and most you've paid for a single pair?

Which ones have the most "colorful" history, that you know of?

Which ones get the most comment from colleagues/strangers when you wear them?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuffthis, with so many beautiful colors and design, if I had those I think I'd be wearing FC shirts on a daily basis -- whether or not I was wearing a tie.

Nice.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Beautiful.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's like offering a naked lady to a just released inmate. Unfair.

Did you say barter?

cuffthis

Reaction score
Love them.  Would love to see more.

If I may be so terribly crass, what is the least and most you've paid for a single pair?

Which ones have the most "colorful" history, that you know of?

Which ones get the most comment from colleagues/strangers when you wear them?
Least expensive - free, as some people like to see their pairs end up with a collector who will treasure and wear them with pride (my favorite price point.). But I have found 14k pairs for as low as $.25, hehe.

Most expensive - Faberge diamond/ruby/enamel pair in original fitted box - high 4 figures $$$$ (my best investment - could buy a pretty nice car now for their current value).

Most colorful history - a pair owned by Cary Grant, hallmarked Birmingham 1938, silver with double sided comedy/tragedy faces. Acquired from Bill Weaver, Cary Grant's personal assistant in the late 1960's/early 1970's (I found out later that Mr. Weaver was co author of a rather unpleasant tell all book on his dealings with Cary titled "The Private Cary Grant")

Most comments - my coworkers just don't get it, and rarely say anything. Among fellow collectors, I am noted for my collection within my collection of rare snap cufflinks made by manufacturers that no one has ever heard of or seen another pair made by, as well as snap cufflinks with unusual closures. These include pairs that have a connecting bar holding the two sides together (preventing them from becoming lost if they inadvertantly unsnap), pairs with side buttons to open/close them, pairs held together with magnets, and about 20 other unusual ones, the likes of which I and every other collector of cufflinks I know have never seen before.

Cliff

Reaction score
Holy cow cuffthis, you could open a store with all those. How long did it take to collect all those beauties?

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Holy cow cuffthis, you could open a store with all those.  How long did it take to collect all those beauties?
or more appropriately, a museum . . .

The links in the picture are absolutely gorgeous.

cuffthis

Reaction score
A lot of people have sent me emails asking how I store my collection. I have a lot of different storage and display cases around my house for the non precious metals pairs. One of my favorite small storage boxes is this one. It was bespoke for me by a maker of custom humidors. He redesigned it to hold cufflinks by adding the compartments seen below. The upper tray is removable and the bottom tray is fixed. Another of my favorite pairs is located in the bottom tray, 2nd row, 3rd and second compartments from the right. This pair of figural sterling double sided feet, with Hallmarks for Sheffield 1922, are simply fun to wear. Think about it - a pair of feet at the bottom of your sleeves. A sure conversation starter, and a great way to have fun with your clothes, which, IMHO, it's all about.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what happens when a group of small children decide to visit Mr. and Mrs. Cuffthis? I'm guessing toddlers, Reidel stems, and snap links don't mix very welll...
tounge.gif

cuffthis

Reaction score
So, what happens when a group of small children decide to visit Mr. and Mrs. Cuffthis? Â I'm guessing toddlers, Reidel stems, and snap links don't mix very welll...
tounge.gif
Simple. We put toddlers in the dungeon. They can visit with the guests who came to visit wearing solid color silk pocket squares and short sleeve dress shirts (and don't have nice elbows).
mad.gif

JohnMS

Reaction score
I can see that I'm an accountant in the wrong industry...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads