1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A poll for runners who lift and lifters who run

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Threadbearer, Aug 12, 2012.

What kind of shoes do you wear when you run and when you lift weights?

1. I wear running shoes both when I run and when I lift weights

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. I wear weight-lifting shoes when I run and when I lift weights

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I wear running shoes when I run and weight-lifting shoes when I lift weights

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Like many of you, I jog and lift weights regularly, often doing both on the same day. I think I'm going to start swapping out shoes between activities, though, mostly to help preserve the cushioning of my running shoes a little longer. I've become curious to know how others are dealing with the running/lifting shoe question.

For the purposes of the poll, “weight lifting shoes” can mean anything other than running shoes and can include cross-trainers, wrestling shoes, tennis shoes, Chuck Taylors, flip-flops, etc. Please specify in a post below.

P.S. If you lift weights WHILE you run, start your own damn thread. :tounge: And be sure to post pics in it!

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I often workout prior to or after a run, so I keep the same shoes on - NB Minimus Zero. If I workout without running, I still wear my running shoes.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I run in running shoes, lift barefoot when possible.

4. Threadbearer

Did it take some time adapt to running in minimalist shoes? I've heard that the transition can be tricky and injury-inducing.

I have an irrational fear that keeps me from lifting barefoot. Consciously, I know that an athletic shoe is not going to protect me from a dropped barbell or plate, but I just feel too vulnerable without shoes on.

5. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

If I do both in a single workout I change shoes

I have a pair of lightweight running shoes for sprints / intervals, and a pair of proper lifting shoes

Having switched to lifting shoes a couple of years back I have never looked back. When I try to lift in anything else I find it horrible

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems, but I did transition to them gradually. I've been running in them for at least a couple of months, maybe three, without any problems whatsoever. I'm at the point now where I can't imagine going back to my regular running shoes.

7. Flame

Flame Senior member

+1

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If you lift any weight then running shoes will blow out sooner or latter. Ignoring the ruined shoes you risk knee injury.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  9. Threadbearer

After reading this thread and some other things online and in books, I've decided to become a two-shoe guy. I'm going to run in lightweight, unstructured (but still cushioned) running shoes for a while as I work on shortening my stride, and then I'll switch to minimalist shoes after that. In the meantime I'm going to start lifting in lifting shoes. I figure I won't really be doubling my shoe expenses because each pair should last that much longer now that each pair is getting much less use.

Thanks for the info, gents.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

that's a good call, primarily because you won't be able to run in real weightlifting shoes.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I switched to New Balance Minimus when they came out and have worn ever since. I don't run much outside of intervals/sprints on the treadmill, elliptical etc so my comparison might not help... but I love them. And I lift in them every day. Great for squatting, leg work... and nothing to compress and wear out.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yeah, same with me.

13. Threadbearer

Saw a guy at my gym this morning lifting in a pair of these. I wonder if he runs in them, too. :happy:

[​IMG]

He was also wearing jeans, a tucked in polo shirt, and -- wait for it -- lifting gloves.

14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I do this, and when someone from the front office at the gym yells at me I pretend to comply. Only when i'm doing upper body day do I keep my shoes on.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

There was a guy at my gym this morning lifting in street clothes - jeans, hard-soled shoes, and a polo. I've seen another dude workout dressed similarly.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  16. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Dress shoes are likely better to lift in then the average running shoe . I'm not even kidding :)

I've seen people suggest work boots for similar reasons

17. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Don't see the problem unless you're doing your leg workout or need better balance for certain exercises.

18. janky fish

janky fish Well-Known Member

I lift in flip flops and pop them off to squat or dl etc, but a lot of places don't want you to be barefoot unfortunately

19. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I lift in Asics Onasuka shoes...fairly flat, pretty much like an indoor soccer shoe.

I run in Newtons. If I double I'll generally space it out to allow my body a rest period so I rarely wear the same shoes for either, but NEVER run in the Asics.

20. js4design

js4design Senior member

Run and lift in the same shoes, VFFs.