• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A place to hang my hat?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own several, and never wear them. I was reading some of that Hatless JACK book by Neil Steinberg and the author states some things Ive come to believe for a while now. According to the author, there was a time when leaving your place without a hat on was about as possible as walking out without shoes on. It was so ingrained in one's head to wear a hat that it was done unconsciously, and its absence was a palpable strain on your nerves. Now that the axis has shifted, there is nothing left to the hat but the desire to stand out and enjoy a "fad" which in itself is the very antithesis of what could make the hat a staple anew. I do remember when I first watched old movies that the men in the hats always seemed more decent, more important, more serious, more trustworthy. Even the way they wore the hats determined their mood and character with gangsters wearing them rakishly tilted. Men without hats were always pimps, or playboys (which was actually bad then), fugitives, the insane, children etc.. And these vibrations were all transmitted to me watching black and white movies without any knowledge about hats or hat etiquette. Thats the power of advertising or film for you. Today, if you see someone with a hat on in a film you get the sense that the director/costume designer wants you to think the character is an oddball or a lightweight or someone in need being noticed. It would be interesting to hear women's opinions about seeing a man with a fedora or a dress hat on (as opposed to a baseball cap). If it helps at all, I do like hats. I especially like summer hats, panamas, optimos and the like (not boaters especially). I wish we wore them as part of the outfit, but then theres that dandy thing you know where youre looking forward. When my life is more settled, hats will feature more. As it is now, with the places I go to, with the obligations I have, with the type of girls I like to cavort with, the hat simply gets in the way. And, me worrying about my hat just isnt stylish. I should point out that the IDEA of the fedora is always with me in theory as I have more than a soupcon of that American Hero we all know from the old movies of the 30s and 40s in my style repetoire. The guy with the DB chalkie, the spring in his step, the girl on his arm and the snap brim just jauntily so over his brow... with that Glen Miller music in the background.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C'mon FNB, it's not that big a deal. Just wear 'em. I've never understood the skittishness of people concerning dress hats. I've worn them for a very long time and have never gotten anything but compliments- either direct or wry- about them.

As to where to put them, if you're creative it's not a problem. I've had a bartender put one up with the "top shelf" liquor for safe keeping.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
C'mon FNB, it's not that big a deal. Just wear 'em. I've never understood the skittishness of people concerning dress hats. I've worn them for a very long time and have never gotten anything but compliments- either direct or wry- about them.

When I was in grad school, I had the honor of being selected to pick The Great Harvey Mansfield up at the airport and bring him to campus. He got off the plane in a sharp suit and a hat. I had on and odd jacket and tie, but no hat. I said something like, "I wish I could get away with wearing a hat, I don't know how you do it, but you look great," and he shrugged and said, "Just wear one."

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wigens FTW

I wish I could wear a beaver-fur tall hat.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
C'mon FNB, it's not that big a deal. Just wear 'em. I've never understood the skittishness of people concerning dress hats. I've worn them for a very long time and have never gotten anything but compliments- either direct or wry- about them. As to where to put them, if you're creative it's not a problem. I've had a bartender put one up with the "top shelf" liquor for safe keeping.
Somehow it just gets in the way. I dunno what to tell you. I would like to wear them but it just never worked out that way. I have good friend who wears them and he looks great. He recently bought a bowler hat and that looks fantastic on him.

dsmolken

Reaction score
I wear a cheap wool felt hat when biking in the rain or snow. I've gotten used to it, though it took a while to ingrain the habit of tipping it when greeting people. Once you get that down it feels very natural.

Mine gets enough compliments that I now want to get something nicer.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It truly is a matter of getting used to wearing them, and then getting used to finding places to put them when you take them off.

I wear them for driving and in light rain. They are great for both. But I don't like carrying them into bars, restaturants and other places.

Why? Well, I sat on my beaver fedora yesterday. :)

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Why? Well, I sat on my beaver fedora yesterday. :)

Just visit Bates on your next visit to London. That way you can see Binks the Cat.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
According to the author, there was a time when leaving your place without a hat on was about as possible as walking out without shoes on.

I can believe this. Probably similar to the feeling on the wrist sans watch.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
When I was in grad school, I had the honor of being selected to pick The Great Harvey Mansfield up at the airport and bring him to campus.

Did he give a lecture? If so, did he start it his classic way? Which was to walk right into the room, then to the podium, and begin lecturing immediately without any greeting or transition?

- B

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two bowlers, Herbert Johnson. Saved when I truly lose my mind and start dressing as John Steed.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Two bowlers, Herbert Johnson. Saved when I truly lose my mind and start dressing as John Steed.

If you truly lose your mind, you'll start dressing like Mrs. Peel.

Just one, by Dorfmann Pacific

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads