• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A place to hang my hat?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Two bowlers, Herbert Johnson. Saved when I truly lose my mind and start dressing as John Steed.
Every year I tell myself that this is the year I will wear my hats.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three brimmed hats. All for summer. Two Panamas, one from Dobbs. Also, a coconut straw from JJ Hatters on 32nd and 5th (great store), which is the only one I've ever worn (to a wedding). All of my winter hats are of the newsboy/eight piece pie cap variety, a cashmere john locke, a borsalino, and a beretta.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
How many people here own brimmed hats?

I own many (like dozens). Two straw and a bunch of felts. Outside of summer, I generally rotate among two to four felt hats for daily wear, not counting something more formal like a homburg for weddings or black-tie.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I own many (like dozens). Two straw and a bunch of felts. Outside of summer, I generally rotate among two to four felt hats for daily wear, not counting something more formal like a homburg for weddings or black-tie.
Wow, I own 4. Actually the one that fits me nicest is a jaguar green trillby from Jay Kos. I have a very nice Churchill made panama which my mom piked up from a thrift shop for me. It is a perfect fit. I wear a hat like 3 times a year. Where are your felt hats from and what colors?

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
How many people here own brimmed hats?

A fedora and a trilby, both by Art Fawcett, as well as a Panama and a few flat caps for those days when I'm not feeling the brim look.

I just had my felt samples out this morning contemplating another.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, I own 4. Actually the one that fits me nicest is a jaguar green trillby from Jay Kos. I have a very nice Churchill made panama which my mom piked up from a thrift shop for me. It is a perfect fit. I wear a hat like 3 times a year. Where are your felt hats from and what colors?
colors - all. Many shades of gray and brown and a few green Most of mine are vintage, with a huge number of Boralinos from Bulgaria - I kid you not - there was a guy who liquidated a bunch of NOS Borsalinos from a warehouse somewhere. I bought about six or seven - one was ruined in transit, but the rest are beautiful. They must be old because they predate the little corrugated thingie Borsalino puts between the sweatband and the hat to increase airflow. They have been doing that for at least twenty years or so. If I remember, I will put in the name of the store for which they were made. I remember that it was in Sofia. Felt really is one of those things that isn't as good as it used to be. I learned that when the first hat I bought - an English made trilby - wore out and I tired to replace it. Nothing new that I saw was close. I hit the vintage market and accumulated lots of hats till I found what was really good - vintage Borsalinos, especially ones made for the European market. Finding NOS ones was tough, but not impossible, and I don't mind used ones as long as they are in really good condition. If you can find a Borsalino marked Grand Marque Luxe (like this one) buy it, whatever the condition, just for the education. I have a few. Also some lesser grades. My favorites were made for the Neopolitan and Florentine market (you can tell by the name of the retailer). The Bulgarian market ones are not as good - or at least different. That's enough for now, but someday I will post a picture of the pimptastic ones in mink plush. Somehow, I ended up with two, NOS. Plus a ton of other hats that I only wear out of boredom. I know there are people out there claiming to make hats that are as just as good as vintage felt(Art Fawcett, Optimo). They may be doing so - I haven't checked. Fortunately or unfortunately, I now have many more than I need.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish I could wear a hat. Aside from the size of my head, I think the particular shape of my skull and hair line make hats extremely unflattering to me. Also, hat hair is a significant problem for me.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
His he, THE guy for hats?

iGents think so. Also Optimo. I have a Panama blocked and trimmed by Art and he did a nice job. If I were to buy another hat, I would use him. But you may prefer to buy in person if you ar enot sure exactly what style works for you. Realistically, that is more important than quality. In that case, try Orlando at Worth & Worth. You will pay more for, arguably, less quality. But you will have an easier process of choosing the style.

Art really is full custom and, as you know, that way lies danger for the uninitiated

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Six felts and two straws. I'm thinking I'll order a couple from Graham this winter.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I wish I could wear a hat. Aside from the size of my head, I think the particular shape of my skull and hair line make hats extremely unflattering to me. Also, hat hair is a significant problem for me.
Other than the last ones, none of those are real concerns. The trick is finding the right shape and proportions for you. You missed your chance with Optimo in Chicago.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Art really is full custom and, as you know, that way lies danger for the uninitiated

That is true, I'm not certain I'd point someone who didn't know what he wanted to Art.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I own three and wear (two of) them regularly. I have an olive Akubra Sydney that's my go-to hat, a modern Stetson "straw" (actually some cheap fabric) that I picked up for less than $20 that's great in the summer, and a vintage Stetson fedora in a medium-dark gray that my hat guy is in love with (when I first had it blocked and restored he referred to it as "one of a kind" and estimated its worth at 10x what I'd paid). The vintage Stetson doesn't get tons of wear, as it is a bit more rare and a tad small, as it's 7 3/4 and I prefer 7 7/8.

I definitely plan on picking up a few more in the near future.

It took me a few days to get used to the sight in the mirror, but I'll echo what previous posters have said: if you want to wear a hat, just do it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oDD_LotS
It took me a few days to get used to the sight in the mirror, but I'll echo what previous posters have said: if you want to wear a hat, just do it.

I can only manage the boater and the top hat, and those get worn at leap year-ish intervals.

I might be going to something in the winter for which I can justify the top hat. We'll see.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads