• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Pink Question

mano

Reaction score
The other day my secretary, "Mary" (her real name) was wearing a pink turtleneck shirt.

So, it occured to me, why is it okay for a man to wear a pink dress/button down shirt, but not a pink pullover or turtleneck, both of which would be too effeminite?

alaaro

Reaction score
who said its too effeminate? I say go for it.

mano

Reaction score
I'm in touch with the feminine side of myself, but I'm not in touch enough, or secure enough to wear a pink turtleneck.

mnemonic

Reaction score
i think the pink turtleneck would show a subtle panache.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could find a pink turtleneck that fit me properly, I would wear it with no shame. I'm secure enough to do so and I love the attention it brings.

mano

Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected.

When I thought of it, I asked Mary and then my business partner, both women in their early 50's, what they thought of a man wearing a pink pullover or turtleneck, they both gave thumbs down.

Tom

Reaction score
I think that turtlenecks look lame.

-Tom

jester

Reaction score
When I saw the thread title, I thought you were talking about Thomas Pink shirts.

I don't like turtlenecks, but if I did, I wouldn't have any problem wearing a pink one. What's the big deal? Pink(-colored) collared shirts are OK, so why would a turtleneck be any different?

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
The best rule is if you like it then wear it. I have pink dress shirts, pink and blue striped ties, pink and blue socks, pink polo shirts, and pink sweaters. Don't listen to anybody else on this and jsut wear what you like.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I wouldn't typically consider a pink sweater for men. Personally, I would just stick to a dress or polo shirt for pink.

That said, if you wore a pink v-neck under a jacket, with jeans, the look could definitely be pulled off. You most likely could pull off a pink sweater if you've got the rocks to do so. Unfortunately, I do not.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
OK, it's all well and good to wear pink shirts, I do it myself. Just be aware of the entire ensemble--a pink merino v-neck over a button-down shirt with khaki slacks might be more acceptable than a plush pink cable knit cashmere turtleneck with black slacks.

Tom

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the origins of pink, and violet as so called "feminine" colors.
Perhaps flowers.

Edit: dammit, labelking, now you're going to make me spend time with the dictionaries and etymologies and I'll dip into all my books and compare the word pink in various language and be up half the night, and probably still won't come up with an acceptable answer.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I wouldn't typically consider a pink sweater for men.  Personally, I would just stick to a dress or polo shirt for pink.

That said, if you wore a pink v-neck under a jacket, with jeans, the look could definitely be pulled off.  You most likely could pull off a pink sweater if you've got the rocks to do so.  Unfortunately, I do not.
I know a real a$$hole, a guy I went to College with. Biggest snob you'd ever meet. He was also a brillant dresser. So affected in so many ways, but he could pull off the appearance of unaffected affected dress.

He was the only guy I knew who could wear a pink shetland plan crew or cableknit crew sweater with aplomb.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads