• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Pink Question

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a teacher who always wore one pink piece of clothing, as a sort of trademark. I wear a few pink shirts, but I wouldn't wear any other pink clothes, myself.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
I think that turtlenecks look lame.

-Tom
Ditto on that one. And pink turtlenecks, have to be careful in this town. May get asked for a date.

Etruscan

Reaction score
The fact that misogynistic and homophobic rappers consider pink an effeminate color is hardly surprising, nor--to me--discouraging. Indeed, I can think of few more telling indicators of unresolved latency than the fear of being mistaken for a homosexual. If there's anything more masculine than a sturdy-legged Scotsman in a kilt I've yet to see it. By contrast, rappers with their ridiculously logo-strewn, oversized track suits and vulgar jewelry are walking (and, alas, talking) advertisements of their own insecurity.

Now, as to pink, I love color, and my complexion allows me to wear virtually any, except yellow. More to the point, I am secure enough within my masculinity to do so without regard to what others may infer from it. Until the moths got it, I had a wonderful shocking pink merino turtleneck that I loved to wear out to dinner with a black suit. If I could find a replacement, I'd buy--and wear--it in a second, and the world be damned.

People--men, women and children--should dress to be appropriate for the social context and to express their personalities to the extent that is appropriate within it (hence the wisdom of avoiding white at other people's weddings, or red at funerals). I find it sad that some choose to suppress their personalities in the interests of conforming to a stereotype defined by bigotry and fear.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting thread, it has me rethinking of getting a light pink RL Polo polo-shirt...

Not sure if I want to take the plunge though, still undecided. Anyone wear pink polo shirts out there?

Jon.

Nonk

Reaction score
10 years ago I went on a Rugby tour to Spain and Gibraltar, and the team commissioned a salmon pink v neck sweater as the official tour uniform. I would not have worn it on my own, but when 25 burly soldiers were all wearing them they looked fantastic, and the chicks loved them.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this?
horportraitferry05012612av.jpg

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say go for it.

When I wanted to get myself a pink shirt with white collars and white french cuffs everybody said it would look horrible and i'd never wear it etc.

Now that I've got it I get nothing but compliments about the shirt.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say go for it.

When I wanted to get myself a pink shirt with white collars and white french cuffs everybody said it would look horrible and i'd never wear it etc.

Now that I've got it I get nothing but compliments about the shirt.
That sounds like a great shirt. Now I'm considering ordering a similar from Jantzen. If I can find a pink fabric with either a white or light blue pinstripe, I think that would look great as well with the white banker-style collar and cuffs.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy,Jan. 31 2005,13:15
I'd say go for it. When I wanted to get myself a pink shirt with white collars and white french cuffs everybody said it would look horrible and i'd never wear it etc. Now that I've got it I get nothing but compliments about the shirt.
That sounds like a great shirt. Â Now I'm considering ordering a similar from Jantzen. Â If I can find a pink fabric with either a white or light blue pinstripe, I think that would look great as well with the white banker-style collar and cuffs.
roze2.jpg
It's this one. I just love it. It's made by Barba, it's cool to wear with a lightblue (solid) tie. -edit- This is a nice detail shot

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roy, Very, very nice. Â The fabric and buttons look outstanding.
Thanks I think it turned out great. That's the fun thing about getting MTM stuff. The ability to choose your options and nitpick about every detail
wink.gif
But all I wanted to say is that when buying your clothes you should trust your own sense of style. Some people just don't have the imagination or ability to make nice combinations and they are usually the ones that tell you not to do something.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think those RLPL are very good value, or it might just be that they are so much more expensive in Amsterdam. They're more expensive than Kiton, Finamore and Attolini overhere but without clear signs of handwork.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads