• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A pin to replace boutonniere loops? Does it exist?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have lots of suits and SC's, and was wondering if, instead of sewing boutonniere loops on all of them, there already exists a type of metal pin which could do the job. I hope I explain myself well, but I'm envisioning a kind of Greek letter Omega shaped pin, where squeezing the ends together slightly and letting them expand into the back of the lapel would secure it in place and the points would be out of sight by being "trapped" between / within the material of the lapel itself. Then there would be a little metal loop left hanging on the back of the lapel which could hold a small flower stem. Did I explain that at all well? Does such a thing exist?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly a regular safety pin would do the job?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, yeah, I must be pretty thick. The whole time I was thinking that wouldn't work because I couldn't bend the pin enough and still thread it through. But, yeah, obviously a safety pin has two little bars and the flower stem could be passed through them.

Uh, yeah, I feel dumb now. :D

FillW

Reaction score
Possibly a regular safety pin would do the job?

Work well.

Have actually you tried this?

I might try it this weekend but don't wanna mess up a good sport coat.

I don't think I've seen anyone wear a flower in recent memory- maybe not at all...
puzzled.gif

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I just tried it with a simple safety pin. Works like a charm. Slide the pin between the fabric an inch or two below the boutoniere hole so that it isn't visible from the front. :fonz:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads