• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A pair of shoes for each business suit, too much?

ValidusLA

Reaction score
You bet. If you are south east PA - if you have the opportunity to get to New York City ever (is Harrisburg to Philly Amtrak still Train 666 lol?) then there is a CJ retail arm where you could try on shoes. Though I would call to make sure they have 13s.

Currently (though maybe not forever as they are soon launching an online store) you can order shoes from UK mail order and pay in GBP less VAT. As an example, the Connaught which is their standard captoe mainline (and comes in UK 13) is 445 GBP. After taking off VAT it is 370.86 GBP. Converted to USD at current rate that is $512.

Is the Connaught worth $117 more than the Park Avenue? In my opinion that's an unequivocal yes. The shipping you pay on the C+J's will be about the same as the sales tax you would pay on the Allens (and you won't pay sales tax on a single pair under $800 USD coming in from UK).

Wordsthoughts

Reaction score
Just searched and the Belgrave is such a beautiful shoe!! Online , they say 12.5 is the top size. I'm a true 14 even in shoes. It would be a splurge for me to buy a pair. How is their return policy?

I have a big bonus coming in about 2 months and would love to get these in the Chestnut Antique Calf because black isn't as fun.

Wordsthoughts

Reaction score
You bet. If you are south east PA - if you have the opportunity to get to New York City ever (is Harrisburg to Philly Amtrak still Train 666 lol?) then there is a CJ retail arm where you could try on shoes. Though I would call to make sure they have 13s.

Currently (though maybe not forever as they are soon launching an online store) you can order shoes from UK mail order and pay in GBP less VAT. As an example, the Connaught which is their standard captoe mainline (and comes in UK 13) is 445 GBP. After taking off VAT it is 370.86 GBP. Converted to USD at current rate that is $512.

Is the Connaught worth $117 more than the Park Avenue? In my opinion that's an unequivocal yes. The shipping you pay on the C+J's will be about the same as the sales tax you would pay on the Allens (and you won't pay sales tax on a single pair under $800 USD coming in from UK).

In Pennsylvania there is no sales tax on shoes or clothes purchased from US retailers. Maybe a new your trip would be worth it to try on a pair. I really like the way the Vass shoes look too. I've watched a few YouTube reviews of their golden museum cap toe shoes and they look beautiful as well. I wish my size made things easier because I love shopping online and don't really like to be bothered with returns or in store shopping. I'm very simple and that's how I started thinking of the 1 to 1 pairing of suit to shoe idea to begin with.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Man...my local sales tax is 10.25%!

Here is the catalog I got from them in December with my last order that indicates Belgrave goes to 13.
20210213_222018.jpg

Do beware of jumping right to handgrade. It's definitely more expensive. But yes the Belgrave is beautiful.

EDIT: I have not had to deal w/ returns before. The price sheet says:
"Crockett and Jones offers a full refund or money-back guarantee on all unworn goods returned to us within 28 days of the purchase date and with a valid receipt. However, shoes showing any evidence of being worn, including scuffed soles, are not eligible for return. Please not that we cannot refund the cost of the return postage."
Considering they charge 30 GBP to ship, I would avoid the need to return and try to try on any lasts I would want in NY if you can in any way get there.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
C&J are great shoes but are they really worth the premium over Loake, Barker and Cheaney? There is one specific Loake last that fits me perfectly, so I have around 5 different styles. I also get good deals on Barker Handcrafted seconds.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Cheaney is closer to C+J than those other two I would argue (and I think many would agree,).

C+J is much better than Loake and Barker .

Is it enough better to warrant the price difference? I would say the price difference is small enough to justify it yes.

Lobb or GG are better than CJ but the price difference is extreme.

Diminishing returns always kick in in these things, but I would say that point of "tiny returns" is somewhere between CJ and GG, not between Cheaney and CJ.

feedtaleone

Reaction score
I’m mixing oxfords, derbies in burgund, black and various shades of brown.

Samcho650

Reaction score
I’d say 5-6 is a happy medium. I have two blacks, two dark brown and two light brown. Although I only have 7 suits total. Along with 4 blazers/sports coat. I find 5-6

feedtaleone

Reaction score
In the recent past, we covered various types of men’s boots and shoes, both formal and casual. In our Brogues Shoe Guide for Men, we touched lightly upon the difference between Oxford and Derby shoes, and today we’d like to focus our full attention on the Oxford, which is often referred to as the most elegant type of men’s shoe – for a good reason! get-vidmate.com instasave.onl

Nickd

Reaction score
C&J are great shoes but are they really worth the premium over Loake, Barker and Cheaney? There is one specific Loake last that fits me perfectly, so I have around 5 different styles. I also get good deals on Barker Handcrafted seconds.
I’d say yes, they are worth it. Although the jump from Loake and Barker to Cheaney in quality is larger than the jump from Cheaney to C&J. Fit is paramount though. A pair of Loakes that fit you perfectly is better in many ways than a beautiful pair of EG or G&G that aren’t right for you.

To the original question - I have way more than 10 pairs, so I clearly don’t follow my own advice but 10 would do nicely in terms of what you need rather than want. A pair of Oxfords in brown and black, brogues, loafers, trainers, smart and work style boots, boat shoes for wearing with shorts, maybe Chelsea boots and chukkas and you’d be covered for most eventualities.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.