• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. Threads (Help me choose which item)

Marbles29

Reaction score
Now that everyone is a week removed from electing into office his or her malfeasance-monger of choice, help me decide which A.P.C. outerwear selection I should pony up over half a grand for. First and foremost, In order to provide me with the most insightful advice, I must reel off my main trio of outerwear pieces.

Banana Republic Tweed Blazer/Coat with Epaulets and Such
Cockpit U.S.A. Horsehide Leather Jacket
Down Nylon Jacket

As you can see I lack an elegant wool piece, particularly something suited for NYC winters. Without further ado, here are the choices:

1) http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/4,978.html

2) http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/4,1056.html

3) http://www.stuartandwright.com/A.P.C...Coat_1899.html

I think choice 3 may be the woman's version of the duffle coat, but the men's version has an uncanny resemblance. All 3 items fit me superbly in medium and they are all close in price (so that is negligible). When I posed this question to the salesman, he said I could use all three -- and it wasn't a sales-driven comment, he knew it was beyond my means to purchase all three. It goes to show how my wardrobe lacks some essential items.

Early Gallup polls show the Duffle Coat is in the lead with the Short Peacoat trailing closely. The Blazer Coat is still in the mix but has some ground to make up within the next few weeks. I think the Duffle is most practical and very cool, but I think Peacoat flatters me the best but is the least warm. Let me know what you guys think, feel free to leave comments besides just voting. Thanks!

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah
get this http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/4,991.html
or this http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/4,939.html

i tried on the first one from last season at barneys. the sales associate was like wow thats dope under his breath when i tried it on and when i put it back on the rack he bought it immediately.
ffffuuuu.gif

Marbles29

Reaction score
Thank you for the input...Unfortunately, I didn't try on the first one today but I did try on the second gray duffel which was nice, but didn't appeal me more than the other three.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blazer is meh and I don't like the sheepskin collar on the peacoat. I say get the duffle coat.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marbles29
Thank you for the input...Unfortunately, I didn't try on the first one today but I did try on the second gray duffel which was nice, but didn't appeal me more than the other three.

then dont get any of them. the ones you posted are pretty pedestrian (which i know is kind of the appeal of apc, nicely cut ok quality classic outerwear)

wait for the toj duffle or get their chesterfield. definitely more bang for the back

Marbles29

Reaction score
Thanks...IMO the sheepskin collar is the only reason the short peacoat is in consideration, I like the way it looks popped. The primary reason I can't justify the peacoat is that it is scarcely warmer than my leather jacket, well who knows.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marbles29
Thanks...IMO the sheepskin collar is the only reason the short peacoat is in consideration, I like the way it looks popped. The primary reason I can't justify the peacoat is that it is scarcely warmer than my leather jacket, well who knows.

yeah i actually think that the sheepskin collar is pretty cool. i almost copped a APC peacoat last season when it made it to final final sales at barneys and was like $90, quite nicely cut. wouldnt pay retail, though. buy my visvim peacoat instead! haha

Marbles29

Reaction score
90 bucks??? Whatever I do, I can never find such steals. I asked how many Duffel Coats in Medium they had in stock, and the guy said 5 or 6. Which was the same amount they told me last Friday. I'm beginning to wonder if It'll be around for a sale.

Marbles29

Reaction score
Do you guys think the Short Peacoat will be a warm up winter coat in NYC?

Marbles29

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. It's gonna be either the Duffel Coat or Short Peacoat. The Blazer Coat is like a third-party candidate -- technically it's in the running, but not in the race.

Does anybody know when this stuff (if it does) will go on sale? Or should I just throw down half a grand for it in like two weeks, b/c that's probably the best to expect. Based on some of the posts here and the fact that the A.P.C. inventory is good for the sought after coats, presumably it may be best to wait.

Marbles29

Reaction score
Tried on the mac coat, awfully nice -- ascends the list, higher than the blazer coat, but remains to be seen whether it'll hang with the big boys. The hand was the nicest aspect of the mac coat...but it's practically a coin toss between the short peacoat and duffle. the peacoat gained a lot of momentum today. this salesman claimed it was warmer since it was completely wool, unlike the duffle coat mix. tough

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads