• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The inseam will only shrink for a limited time, if you pull them while damp/wet you can avoid most of the shrinkage all together.

To answe my own question a couple pages back, yes butler still exists and all shop except (rue de varenne) in Paris offers the service.

So 3 pairs of beaten up ns,s are going to Paris.

Hill

Reaction score

heat is what causes stuff to shrink, not water. keep them away from the dryer and do a cold wash and you should be fine

The inseam will only shrink for a limited time, if you pull them while damp/wet you can avoid most of the shrinkage all together.

To answe my own question a couple pages back, yes butler still exists and all shop except (rue de varenne) in Paris offers the service.

Thank you

Hill

Reaction score

heat is what causes stuff to shrink, not water. keep them away from the dryer and do a cold wash and you should be fine

Thank you

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not quite, I washed/soaked mine in cold water only and never tumble dried, they shrank about an inch on the inseam.

thats probably your best bet though.

Hill

Reaction score
Here are my 4 month new standards I just washed. Thanks for your help on the inseam. I stretched them every hour after washing and actually got 3/4" in length back, which makes the length perfect now (assuming it will stay that length). The befores were taken in daylight, the afters in artificial light.

Before

After

Hill

Reaction score
Yeah they were starting to get that clammy, dead skin cell feeling so I thought it would be good to wash them now. I think someone a few weeks back said that letting them get too dirty can expedite crotch blowout. If that's true I'd rather have worse fades than a patched crotch. Plus I wanted to get these softer for the warmer months.

But I agree, it would have been nicer to be farther along once they had gotten this dirty. I work at a desk so I don't wear them as hard as I'd like to.

Buster

Reaction score
Hill,
Any specific method of stretching them?
I may need to do the same to mine.

Hill

Reaction score
Hill,
Any specific method of stretching them?
I may need to do the same to mine.
Right after rinsing I laid them on the ground, picked up a leg, and put my foot on the waistband. I stretched the two seems of the leg then the middle, fairly hard. After doing the same thing on the other leg, I hung them upside down in the sun. The sun didn't do much to accelerate drying because it was in the mid-70s, but the breeze seemed help significantly. I continued to stretch them about once every hour for the next 3 hours. They were close to dry at that point and the inseam was measuring longer than what they had been so I didn't bother stretching anymore.

My only concern is that I hope I didn't flatten out the creases, whiskers, honeycombs, whatever, to the point they could be reset, which would mess up my current, albeit weak, fade lines. But I doubt that will happen.

Also, on an unrelated and unsolicited point, I used Dr. Bronner's peppermint and so far the results look and smell good. Much cleaner feeling and smelling than the Woolite Black I tried on another pair last week.

quuz

Reaction score

Yeah they were starting to get that clammy, dead skin cell feeling so I thought it would be good to wash them now. I think someone a few weeks back said that letting them get too dirty can expedite crotch blowout. If that's true I'd rather have worse fades than a patched crotch. Plus I wanted to get these softer for the warmer months.

But I agree, it would have been nicer to be farther along once they had gotten this dirty. I work at a desk so I don't wear them as hard as I'd like to.

Haha I've been wearing my pair of new standards for one and a half year approx 4 days a week now :embar:

CFowler2790

Reaction score
Heard you guys like APCs in this thread

Just bought a new pair of New Standards sized down 2 sizes (top two buttons don't button so fingers crossed waist stretches 2 inches again). Figured I'd give ya'll some pics of my 1st pair which are PS sized to fit before stretching and worn almost every day (I'd say 320 days a year) for nearly two years. Initial wash after 1yr, then again after 6 months.

Edit: They're not actually that overall faded looking, phone flash ftl.

Last edited:

Hill

Reaction score
Got it. Yeah that's cool; I'm sure you're getting some nice fades. Can you post pictures?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.