1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. JFull

JFull New Member

Quick fit question: I picked up a pair of PNS sz 29 and I'm debating if I should exchange them for the PS. I have a sz 30 PNS that fit me pretty well that I've washed twice. For some reason this sz 29 feels roomier than my 30's did when I bought them new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Senior member

Guys, I've found it impossible to find a pair of well fitting washed selvedge jeans here in Stockholm (I don't want to order from abroad). So, I thought about buying a pair of raw A.P.Cs and wash them. Why do I want a pre-washed pair? I don't care about fades and such, I just want a pair of clean, dark blue selvedge jeans that don't bleed or need the same level of care as raw denim.

So, how much do A.P.Cs shrink, according to you guys? As I've heard, they should be sanforized. Their Petit Standard slim-fit seems to fit me perfectly, but should I go with that, or the regular fit and then tailor the legs after the washing (shrinking) process? Also, would you guys recommend to go with a delicate warm (40C°) wash the first time, to get all the excess indigo out?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. max_r

max_r Senior member

I only ever washed mine cold, but the inseam shrank maybe an inch, nothing major, really.

The jeans do stretch a ton in the waist and legs when worn though, and will shrink back to about their original size when washed, so if you're looking for something slim fit, you'll likely not be able to button them after washing for about 30 minutes.

Indigo APC's also lose dye quick with multiple washes, so you'd probably have not-that-dark jeans after a while.

For what its worth, the black raws seem to hold their dye really well. I rubbed a wet paper towel on mine to get a drip of liquid off them, and it didn't even pull any dye. Do that with new indigos and you'd have a blue paper towel.

I remember a thread on here not long ago, some guy looking for indigo jeans that don't fade easy so he can wear them in the office, there is an alternative to indigo that doesn't wash out as easy, but I forget the name.

edit -indanthrene. This thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/526479/preventing-fades-in-selvedge-denim

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Senior member

Quote:Thanks for your reply! If they'll stretch though, wouldn't it be better to with my true size, even though they'll be difficult to button them in the beginning? Also, did you experience any shrinkage around the leg opening? Did your A.P.Cs still bleed after you've washed them? A.P.Cs aren't that expensive, so I thought about buying a pair and see how they act. I'll be happy if I can use them for one year or more (hopefully one and a half). Black isn't an option, I'd rather like a blue pair.

5. max_r

max_r Senior member

No shrinking around the leg opening as I recall, minor length shrinkage only (and the overall leg/waist shrinking to around their new size but that stretches back out quickly enough). And there aren't really any rules to sizing, if you like how true-to-size fits, go with that. Though if you can easily button them up when new and unstretched, I'd wear a belt.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Seriously, APC? I've had my petit standards for months, and....

THERE ARE NO FADES!

Not one.

My first pair were quick to fade in the knees, I guess because I had carpet back then, and they'd fade when I played with my pets. The lap and wallet area came later, and they looked amazing. These I've worn for months, and they look brand new. So frustrating. Even the heavily rolled cuffs are a deep blue.

Did they change the recipe or something?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Mint condition (worn 3 times, never washed or hemmed, still crunchy) APC Petite Standards in size 26, color faux noir (charcoal) for sale.... check my profile. Retail $200 more or less these days? Asking nearly half and they're basically new.

8. jrslater13

jrslater13 New Member

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE - PLEASE DON'T SIZE DOWN ON YOUR PNS APCs. I followed the ridiculous advise of sizing down on my Petit New Standards about 3 years ago, and it ended with some sick fading on jeans that are now in the trash because of a massive crotch blowout. I decided to not read stupid advice from dudes that need to feel like the have their jeans painted onto their body, and bought a new pair in my actual size! What an idea. All I had to do was have the tailor hem in the waist after about a month and now they fit so perfectly. Definitely don't size down guys, unless you plan on losing weight.

9. jrslater13

jrslater13 New Member

Stop saying, in 3 months they'll be super loose! Just hem the waist and stop needing your pants to be skin tight. a little room gives way better fades anyway.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. GG Allin

GG Allin Senior member

You know you can have your tailor easily fix your crotch blowout, don't you? I've done it to mine many times.

11. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Many people overstate the amount that you should size down on APCs but I would almost always recommend going down 1 size (and just one size). Hemming the waist is a clear sign that you've bought the wrong size.

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO DOOOOOOOOooooo!!!!!!1

13. GG Allin

GG Allin Senior member

I agree that people tend to go crazy with the sizing down. Ca. 2007 in Styleforum people were sizing down on raw denim like crazy, and I fell into this trap as well.

14. max_r

max_r Senior member

I think people should pay more attention to the leg fit than the waist. Not everyone has the same size legs in relation to their waist either. The ideal fit for one person may be to go tts and wear a belt, the same leg fit for another person may require sizing down and letting the waist stretch.

I've always gone down 2" with my pairs (sz 29 measures approx 31", then stretches another 2" or so) and the fit is fine for me.