• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Willnz93

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here so be kind on my lack of knowledge!

Basically all my jeans and clothes in general save my PS 28" (which i was wearing) were stolen from our apartment in Italy on Holiday recently and so I'm in the position of slowly rebuilding my wardrobe.

Currently i'm in love with my PS as they are the first and only pair of 'proper' jeans I own and so naturally I would like to add another pair of APC's to my collection. I would be looking for a pair that are perhaps not as skinny as my PS, but due to my fairly thin and tall stature most straight jeans (which I believe the NS are) tend to look fairly baggy on me and I prefer a slimmer look. I live in the middle of nowhere pretty much (Norfolk UK) and so i have been unable to try any on as of yet but I'm led to believe that well sized down New Cures may be what I'm looking for? however images on google and forums etc all tend to look very different for some reason.

In short I'm pretty sold on the colour and simple styling of my APC PS jeans but want an alternative pair that are a bit different but along the same lines and are just looking for some expert opinions!

(Appologies for spelling/grammar/formatting as this was done on my phone!)

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yo!

I'm planning to buy a new pair of jeans soon and I'm pretty sure I want some APCs. My "true waist" -- as measured two inches down from the navel like LA Guy said on the first page of the thread -- is about 30 inches. I like the fit after all the stretching and shrinking and such to be sort of tightish so, in accordance with the info in the OP, I was planning to size down two and buy a pair of 28 inch waist Petit Standards. Sound good? Anyone have any final comments/tips/info before I buy?

Also, I know that the size numbers don't always match up with the waist size (size 28 isn't necessarily 28 inch, 29 isn't necessarily 29 inch, etc.) and some sites seem to be kind of lacking in the necessary info. Unfortunately, the size guide on APC's site seems to be pretty useless. Any good sites to buy from so I can make sure I'm buying the right size?

Thanks!
your true waist is more like 2" above your belly button unless you're shaped really funny. two inches below your belly button, assuming this wasn't a typo, you measure 30"? is this about where you wear your jeans? if so, i'm thinking a size 28 may be a bit big, as a 28 will measure 30 brand new before it stretches. if you're actually a 30 true waist though and what you said above was a typo, disregard that. also, context clothing's size charts are the most accurate i've found, as said on the other page.

Vaio

Reaction score

Hey guys, first post here so be kind on my lack of knowledge!

Basically all my jeans and clothes in general save my PS 28" (which i was wearing) were stolen from our apartment in Italy on Holiday recently and so I'm in the position of slowly rebuilding my wardrobe.

Currently i'm in love with my PS as they are the first and only pair of 'proper' jeans I own and so naturally I would like to add another pair of APC's to my collection. I would be looking for a pair that are perhaps not as skinny as my PS, but due to my fairly thin and tall stature most straight jeans (which I believe the NS are) tend to look fairly baggy on me and I prefer a slimmer look. I live in the middle of nowhere pretty much (Norfolk UK) and so i have been unable to try any on as of yet but I'm led to believe that well sized down New Cures may be what I'm looking for? however images on google and forums etc all tend to look very different for some reason.

In short I'm pretty sold on the colour and simple styling of my APC PS jeans but want an alternative pair that are a bit different but along the same lines and are just looking for some expert opinions!

(Appologies for spelling/grammar/formatting as this was done on my phone!)

you can try 3sixteens or something like that. They sell them at self edge, and im pretty sure they have a slim cut very similar to the ps.

your true waist is more like 2" above your belly button unless you're shaped really funny.
two inches below your belly button, assuming this wasn't a typo, you measure 30"? is this about where you wear your jeans? if so, i'm thinking a size 28 may be a bit big, as a 28 will measure 30 brand new before it stretches.
if you're actually a 30 true waist though and what you said above was a typo, disregard that.
also, context clothing's size charts are the most accurate i've found, as said on the other page.

measure where you actually wear your pants, (i wear mine on my hips, about 2inches below my navel) and size down 1-2, depending on what fit you want. I usually wear a 28, but i sized down to a 27.

Kolossos

Reaction score
your true waist is more like 2" above your belly button unless you're shaped really funny.
two inches below your belly button, assuming this wasn't a typo, you measure 30"? is this about where you wear your jeans? if so, i'm thinking a size 28 may be a bit big, as a 28 will measure 30 brand new before it stretches.
if you're actually a 30 true waist though and what you said above was a typo, disregard that.
also, context clothing's size charts are the most accurate i've found, as said on the other page.

Now I'm confused. Do you mean that size 28 is actually a 30" waist? Or do you mean that the size listed as being 28" waist is actually a 30" waist?

And yeah, I measured 30" 'waist' two inches below belly button. That's approximately where I wear my jeans so LA Guy's advice seemed reasonable.

Last edited:

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
The waist on APC's is like a ******; it can stretch a mile yet never tear. On SuFu there are people sizing down 5 on their NS and they actually look good once they've stretched. I'm a true 31 and I wear a 28 in NS but they fall on my hips as I like to sag them a bit. So size according to how you want them to fit and soak/stretch if adjustment is needed.

Kolossos

Reaction score
I think I'll be getting the PS. I want them to be sort of tightish after all the stretching but not skin tight. How much should I size down, then? The OP seemed to indicate 2 sizes was good, but after hearing some people size down 5 (!) now I'm not sure.

SupraSaiyan

Reaction score
I have a size 27 PS and looking to order NS. What size should I get? The PS stretched out maybe 1 size too big for me.

Thanks guys

Rincon

Reaction score
^ Yes, I was just at the store in Soho yesterday and they confirmed for me.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now I'm confused. Do you mean that size 28 is actually a 30" waist? Or do you mean that the size listed as being 28" waist is actually a 30" waist?

And yeah, I measured 30" 'waist' two inches below belly button. That's approximately where I wear my jeans so LA Guy's advice seemed reasonable.

a size 28 will measure 30" laid flat when its new and unstretched, since APC's are vanity sized (the NS anyway, i just looked at the size chart on context and it looks like the PS isn't vanity sized anymore? i'm almost certain it used to be.)

they will also stretch 2 or more inches in the waist from wear, so its not uncommon for a size 30 to measure 34" or more across (new standard, atleast)

see; size chart
http://www.contextclothing.com/brand.php?brand=A.P.C.+Denim

sorry for confusing you, i'll try to clear it up. from what i usually read, there seems to be two usual methods for sizing. (bearing in mind I wear new standards, and this is kinda geared towards them)

first method

measure your true waist (the narrowest part of your waist, usually 2" above the navel) and then size down two from that.

for example, if you measure a 30" true waist, one would order a size 28. This kind of assumes you've got a normal hip to waist ratio though, so probably less likely to get your correct size.

edit - i just looked at the Petit standard size chart on context, and apparently they're not vanity sized anymore? i'm almost certain they used to be.

second method (i did it this way when I ordered my NS)
measure around your hips where you intend to wear your jeans. compare this measurement to the measured waist on the context clothing size chart, and remember to factor in that the jeans will stretch out 2" or 3", maybe even more (for instance, my size 28 NS measured 30" when I got them, and two years later, they measure 34". I was skinnier when I first got them though, I'm not sure if I could fit into a new pair of 28 NS these days)

And then there's thigh measurements, rise, etc,

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads