1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. OuterHeaven

OuterHeaven Senior member

PC sales start quite late, and they don't discount significantly. Better keep eyes on other retailers carry APC.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Senior member

3. edmi

edmi Member

PNS is a great cut for medium / slim-athletic builds, and long overdue due to slightly more space in the thighs and higher back rise. PS works better for guys with a skinnier ass / thighs - too tight / low rise for me. PNS is better for those who like the NS but prefer a narrower leg opening - it is slightly narrower than the PS. Check the Denim section on the APC site ( www.apc.fr ) for very accurate measurements. Also, it's not been publicised at all, but APC have IMO improved the cut this year on the PNS. My two new pairs of (2014) PNS bought from an APC store recently have 1cm added to the rise compared to my previous 2013 model. I bust out the measuring tape to check this when I found them to fit better in the top block and thighs.

1 person likes this.
  4. edmi

edmi Member

5. edmi

edmi Member

For a good fit in APC, I'd def pay attention to the leg and top block fit as much as the waist alone. If in doubt go one size up as kentpope says - sausage thighs, male camel-toe, over-tight waistbands and those horizontal pull creases on the fly are a good indicator that you sized down one time too many. Been there, done that myself. Sure I can fit into 28 NS/PNS, but they're really too tight and never stretch as much as you would imagine if you believed everything that you read on forums - it's cotton after all, not spandex. You'll end up with crotch blow-outs, ripped seams and all day discomfort that never goes away. Turns out that 29 in PNS / NS - the right proportioned cut for my build - fits pretty damn well, and after some initial discomfort / stiffness / stretching out, has become insanely comfortable. Size 30 would work too if I wanted a looser fit low on the hips.

6. dr1248

dr1248 Senior member

Agreed. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. niqen

niqen Member

thanks for sharing mate, appreciated

1 person likes this.
  8. ASpec818

ASpec818 Senior member

1 cm? That's a negligible difference..

9. edmi

edmi Member

you'd be surprised how much difference it does make. If you wear close tolerance / fitted clothing, you'll know a cm here and there in the right places can make or break a fit. I think this is where APC show their experience as designers and pattern makers - and not least over 25 years making jeans. They know that the smallest of pattern changes here and there can improve a fit without resorting to a new model or a dramatic re-cut - and in doing so preserve the appeal/integrity of a style. In the case of my recent PNS's, 1cm made enough of a difference in comfort for me to pull out a measuring tape and quantify it for sure. I'd actually bought two new pairs as I rotate them for work - and the second pair was the same, so I doubt it's a manufacturing error.

10. edmi

edmi Member

Pleasure mate. Oddly, I don't find that much useful info on APC fits online - sure, forums full of an insane amount of opinion, often driven by or in reaction to internet hype - but very little motivated by a desire to actually help someone online figure out whether one APC model or size is better for them or not.

1 person likes this.
  11. wanksy

wanksy Senior member

Planing on picking up either the PS or PNS, will be getting the raw one instead of the stretch one.
    I heard people are sizing down 3 sizes on the PS, what about on the PNS? My true waist is 32.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

ok, I know I've been corrected by others but just wanted to take a second to recall what I said before about the different cuts, I made a few assumptions and was wrong... Just went to NYC and tried on the different cuts...

In my experience
    PS is fairly tight and skinny but straight all the way through with a taper.
    NS is a slimish but not tight straight cut with minimal taper and I believe selvedge (if you care).
    PNS is more or less in the middle, so compared to the PS, the rise is slightly higher, the thigh is looser but still slim, so overall looser top block compared to the PS and it actually has a tighter taper below the knee.

personally I have a skinny straight build, so PS works for me and I found the PNS was actually too tight in the calves and too loose in the thigh. If you like a skinnish cut but actually have a little meat on your legs and are used to more traditional cuts or sag a little then the PNS will probably work best, and if you're more MC or tradition and want something good solid but not uncomfortable or too edgy then the NS is the one.

and the other thing I was told which seems strange is that for the PS, they do that 2% stretch version, which is nice since it's a damn tight cut and the stretch really helps with the comfort, but they only do it for indigo, not black...?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. edmi

edmi Member

I measure 32" in true, measured waist and 29" PNS fits great - I'm average / athletic build - 5'10", 73kg. I tried a 28 PNS but it was painted on, and have an older 30 PNS that fits nice and loose off my hips. If you're slim and have slim thighs / ass, chose a 29 in PS as it's cut for skinnier builds in the top block. Both have taper, PNS more so. In short - if you're slim/skinny, take the PS - if you're average/athletic, get the PNS - both in 29. If you have thicker legs, 29 in NS will work for your waist size.

14. niqen

niqen Member

couldn't put it any better than that. exactly what i think of the matter as well.
    i searched for any proper APC fit guide online, and as you put it, oddly enough there was not much to find, except
    the occasional hype or trend-driven opinion. so once again, my most profound thanks!

i don't have the "usual" body shape, especially around my thighs. this is probably why i started questioning, and asking for opinions on the fit
    of the PNS. i suppose i really like how the PNS look, and the fit, in theory. it's hard for me to decide which size to pick, as there are so many
    divided opinions out there (and here) regarding sizing down or up, as raw denim often tends to get roomier as you wear your jeans with time.

right now, i think i'll go for my usual size (34). if the jeans turns out to be slightly too tight i could always return them, and swap for a larger size.

i've lost about 26 kg over a period of 12-13 months, so i've been adapting to this new body shape, not that sure which size to choose, especially
    in raw denim jeans, as i'm actually quite new to the concept.

as mentioned, the jeans i currently use are stone island denim, not many have heard of them, but stone island is perhaps most renowned for their
    jackets and sweaters. even so, they have an "average" fit all over, i'd say.

they stretch (like all denim will) after each wash, and they get somewhat loose after a few days without wash.

these are regular tapered jeans, and compared to the PNS they will probably be a tad more roomy.

so a size 34 in PNS would perhaps be the correct choice. worst case scenario is i size up, after putting them on. :)

will post feedback!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  15. wanksy

wanksy Senior member

I'm 5'9, 71 kg, athletic build as well, quite similar to you. I think I'll get the 29 PNS.

Thanks for the help!

16. edmi

edmi Member

agreed - and APC still work well however you want to size them - tight, slim or loose just by going up or down a size. Many brand's jeans don't give you that range and still look good / flattering. Key is finding a fit suitable for your own build as you suggest.

17. edmi

edmi Member

I reckon they'll be spot on for you :) Hope they work out just right. Also, the size 29 PNS come with between a 33' and 32.5' inseam on my two pairs, which - unless you like massive stacks - is convenient news for guys in our height range as no visit to the tailor needed.

18. edmi

edmi Member

good luck - go with your gut feeling. Every brand is different, and where we all have our lumps and bumps contributes to how we like to wear our jeans. APC's have never been accused of being 'baggy' cuts, so even if it stretches out a little more than you might have preferred, it will still look great. I've seen oversized APC's on guys look fantastic - this myth that you HAVE to have ball bustingly tight fits in APC to look good is just that - a myth. They're pretty versatile. I know of Stone Island - along with CP Company - quality gear. I can't vouch for their current jeans / trouser sizing but in my experience APC do run about a tagged inch less than MOST other brands. Perhaps measure your favourite jeans, subtract an inch, and then compare with the apc size chart in the denim section of apc.fr - Hip and thigh measurements are critical - the waist will give more than these areas. All the best!

19. edmi

edmi Member

also, don't discount the New Standard. If you decide that heavy taper isn't for you, the NS is def still a flattering slim-ish tapered jean. For which ever model you chose, you're measured waist -3 will be your best bet. Snug but just buttonable when first tried is good - they'll ease and stretch in the right places over 10-30 wears to a nice comfortable place.

20. mr.invincible

mr.invincible Senior member

damn, i miss out on some apc over at hypebeast with the blackfriday discount.

im looking for size 28/29 in new cures/nps