1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Yes.

2. accordion

accordion Senior member

Is there a general rule for how long to wait? And what's the difference between soaking and washing?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  3. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Most people wait about 6 months I believe

4. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

No rule it is all personal preference but most people wait 6 months. The starchiness of the jeans and the dirt and oil is what can lead to crotch blowout. Washing it helps take care of that.

Soaking is putting the jeans in a tub of water. Most people do warm to hot water to get rid of most of the shrinkage, mostly in the length as the jeans are sanforized. Washing is with detergent.

5. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

so is the rise (Front and Back) Actually Higher on PNS? Or is it just a even more tapered PS?

6. leipergrey

leipergrey Well-Known Member

I'm about to soak my NS for the first time after about 6 months of wear.

I want to avoid as much inseam shrinkage as possible and don't mine fading so I'll soak them in cold water, no woolite black.

I've also read stretching the inseam after soaking them can help reduce the shrinking.

Is this worth it? Do I need to just pull them a little while they're drying?

7. edmi

edmi Member

PNS front and back rise is more similar to the NS than the PS. It's closer to an aggressively tapered NS than the PS, though the back rise is a tiny bit lower / flatter than the NS.
    The PNS is a true slim (very) tapered jean - it's not in my opinion a pair especially suited to guys with especially thick legs though - for that I'd recommend a NS ( and have it tapered to your measurements if you like a narrow hem )

If it helps with a relative size guide, I wear both NS in 28, and PNS in 29, alternating depending on which leg opening works better with the shoes/boots I'm wearing.

1 person likes this.
  8. accordion

accordion Senior member

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching, but what are the differences between washing and soaking? And if after 6 months ish the jeans aren't too dirty I should consider soak instead of wash?

9. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

WTF I answered your question a few posts above. Learn to read

10. accordion

accordion Senior member

So washing is necessary to get rid of starch and prevent blowouts, and soaking prevents shrinking? If so would I need to soak the jeans after I wash them to unshrink them?

11. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

You need to rinse the jeans after washing them to get the soap out, but no additional soaking is needed.

Not sure what you mean by soaking preventing shrinking. It doesn't do that.

Short answer - wash them with a small amount of Woolite Black, rinse, and you're done.

1 person likes this.
  12. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

Hmm 2 loose threads after a few days of wear.

13. edmi

edmi Member

Soaking is preferable - they will shrink too, mostly in the leg, but you'll not lose so much dye and they'll stay dark and go back to your shape quickly.

Machine washing will shrink them, higher heat a bit more than cool, but it's really agitation / the spin that shrinks natural fabrics like cotton and wool. You'll also wash out more dye. Wool wash is all you'll need if you do machine wash your APC's.

In both cases they will stretch back out, with wear, to before wash size before too long.

To restore leg length stretch and pull at the legs/inseam whilst they're damp - you'll get most of the length back.

Do not tumble dry unless they're way too big for you to start with - heat + agitation is what shrinks natural fabrics the most.

These are actually pretty standard guides for washing all quality sanforised denim, especially if you like your jeans to stay darker and develop a more contrasted fade.
    The only difference I see with APC is that people look to the brand for much tighter fits than they'd consider with most other brands. Crotch blowouts occur on all jeans over time - APC price point all the way up to £300+. This is partly due to the way traditionally made jeans are sewn at the crotch, partly because of downsizing, sagging or wearing the wrong cut / size for your physique ( a very common sight in APC forums ) and partly by not soaking / washing when filthy.

14. leipergrey

leipergrey Well-Known Member

I machine washed my pair of NS yesterday. The fading looks great but unfortunately the inseam shrinked 1 1/2", so I guess we had a good 6-months run.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I want to hem both pairs of my APC (indigo and black)...

Do most people that wear APC hem before really wearing? At 5'10", it's somewhat annoying walking around with huge cuffs in order to get any kind of fade before you can hem. But if you hem soon, you risk the denim shrinking too short after the first wash. I've had these for four months now, so I may as well wash/hem/wear...

16. heartlessphil

heartlessphil Senior member

My first pair of A.P.C I hemmed, tapered, wore em maybe 6 months, had to wash because of dirt stain. They shrinked about 1.5 inches and the indigo became ugly. I didn't wash em correctly I think.
    Now I buy the jeans, hem and taper them and wear until it's good for garbage. It works for me because I don't wear em everyday (I have a rotation) and I prefer to keep em dark :)

17. sharks9022

sharks9022 Senior member

My old new standards (32) fit a little snug in the waist and are still fairly tight in the thigh after 3 years of high use and a handful of washes. It's time for a new pair and I was curious if a size up in the new standards would take care of the thigh tightness or would a switch to the rescues be more appropriate? I'm not a huge fan of the legit straight leg that the rescues have and don't want to mess with getting them tapered, so I would rather stick with new standard. I'm over tight pants. I'm an adult now; I need testicular circulation.

18. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

4 months of periodic wears on my size 29 NS and they got washed - now they're sort of a mid navy blue and soft as hell. The blue is too in between to wear a lot, really, so I got a new pair of PS, size 28 and dayum...these are AMAZING.

19. masshi

masshi Senior member

how did you manage sizing down 1 in a slimmer cut?

20. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

Hem and taper before wearing...don't break in the jeans beforehand since it'll adapt and mold naturally