1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

oh.. that's weird. my 28 NS measures about 9.5 whereas my 28 WG measures just a hair under 10. possibly different models of the WG might have different measurements?

2. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

i think best chance of getting them stretched is when they are wet.

3. itbegins

itbegins Senior member

This is fine for trousers, definitely not so with denim.

4. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thank you

5. K2793

K2793 Senior member

Yes they will shrink with a wash. Can you get the hemmed part reattached? Like Dirty Denim said, some people like that look and pull it off. I personally can't. If you soak and then tug on the legs while wet that could help to stretch them out. But no guarantee they stretch further than what it has already been hemmed to. Post some pics and let's see if it's bad or looks good

6. Green20

Green20 New Member

Hey!

I'm a loyal Diesel wearer but am finally joining the raw denim trend. Problem is, I'm not really sure of my size because I'm a bit all over the place. I bought a pair of A.P.C. New Standards in a 30 waist but am afraid they'll stretch too much. Below are my sizes in some of my other jeans I wear:

Diesel Safado 0885K - 29
    Diesel Safado 0661D - 29
    Diesel Zatiny 0073N - 31
    Diesel Zatiny 008XR - 30

I have a pair of 7's in a 31, a pair of Rock n Republic's in a 31 and a pair of Earnest Sewn "Hitch" jeans in a 31.

I have more of a slim athletic build (but with no ass) so Safado's fit me fairly well. (slim, straight, but not skinny), but I know the waist size is a lot smaller than what I wear in my other jeans.

Any ideas if I should size down again on my A.P.C.'s since they are known to stretch a lot or if I should be good w/ the 30's?

7. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thanks for offering your help. Hear are some photos. Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

The front shot doesn't look short at all. The back shot looks just a tad short but I think its the angle of the pic u took

1 person likes this.
  9. cross8524

cross8524 Active Member

10. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I can't recommend APC denim.
    I wear my second pair of NS at the moment and they are only ~9 months old.
    They have been washed for maybe five times and already fall apart around the crotch.
    The fabric is fraying heavily and a thread has broken.
    I experienced the same with the first pair, though I have to admit it had to withstand a lot of tension because it simply was a little too small.
    No pair of jeans has ever fallen apart for me as quickily as those two APCs have and the jeans I owned previously both got worn a lot more than the APCs and have been cheaper.
    In my opinion APC denim is not worth the money asked for.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  11. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

Crotch issues are mainly a personal issue. Iv never had a crotch blow out regardless of how tight they are. If u are someone that has issues with this then u should expect it with certain cuts regardless if they are well made or not

12. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I have bought and worn jeans of various mainstream fashion brands for almost two decads now and not a single pair has ever fallen apart at the crotch area.
    In fact I threw away all my previous pairs after several years of wear because the colors were washed out, not because they had holes or broken threads to them.
    The only fraying I ever encountered prior to buying APC was at the hem, because as a teenager I thought it was cool to wear pants that were too long for myself and I constantly stepped onto them.
    APC sells their denim at a premium pricepoint, thus I expect them to offer premium quality, which they are not.
    They are made in China/Macau just like every other fashion brand which retails at half or a thrid of the price.
    Their cut is good and I like the color the fabric is dyed to but they are no more robust, or even inferior to cheaper alternatives.
    I am neither willing to wear pitted jeans nor to throw away a piece of clothing of that price after less than a year of wear.

13. yosamuel

yosamuel Member

These New Standards are easily the best looking pair of jeans I have ever owned. The fit is perfect, the colour is beautiful and they are beginning to show some character.

However, after six months I had crotch blow-outs (on both sides), holes in the back pockets (from my iPhone) and found that the inseam was beginning to come apart in various places.

Granted, I have now worn these almost every day for nine months and never washed them, but I haven’t worn them (as they say) “hard”. Much cheaper jeans have held up better under greater abuse.

But I guess this isn’t the point of A.P.C. denim; they’re designed to be the best looking pair of jeans you can buy. Because they look so great, and most of the denim still has a *lot* of life left in it, I’m going to spend some money having them fixed up—but I suspect I’ll probably pick up some Albams next.

14. DPU16

DPU16 Member

This is just a general raw jeans question, but if I bought a used pair of raws (4-5 wears, no wash, no fade), should I soak prior to wearing them?

On a similar note, I have a pair of Nudies that I was given before I knew about raw jeans (I was just told not to ever wash them). I never soaked them prior to wearing them though, so should I soak them? I was dumb and had them hemmed to my normal jean size (as I said, I was unaware about raw jeans). I'm worried the soak will shrink them to the point that I cant wear them!

15. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Every pair of raw denim should be given an initial soak. If the threading is cotton it helps tighten up the stitching. But aside from that you're going to have to wash them eventually so why wait to find out they don't fit? They do stretch out too, and apcs tend to do this a lot.

16. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

When you say soak, do you mean literally leave them in a bucket overnight in cold water only? Just trying to clarify.

When washing denim, even if only every 6 months or so, should it just go into the washer or should again be done in a bucket etc?

17. itbegins

itbegins Senior member

ppl hot soak, ppl cold soak, typically the hotter the water the more the denim shrinks. you're jeans are sanforized (pre-shrunk) so they'll shrink a bit in length .25 to .5", you can try stretching the inseam when they're wet.

washing - you can do it in your bathtub with a woolite or a more gentle detergent, turn inside out, i) move them around in soapy water, ii) leave for a bit, repeat i and ii 4 or 5 times, drain, soak in water, drain, hang dry, or you can use the washing machine, but washing machines do generally give vertical fades/lines where the jeans crease in the wash, which may not be what you're after. you'll want to hang dry either way, more shrinkage occurs in the dryer.

18. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Thanks.

I'm yet to wash my denim but have just sent them to be tailored.

Though I am getting them tailored to be able to roll once - so any shrinkage should be fine.

Any idea if similar rules apply to corduroy?

As in, they will shrink with their first wash.

19. jkim3691

jkim3691 Member

When they stretch out, you'll be fine. Remember the knees stretch out from bending and that adds a bit of length to your inseam.

20. minimal

minimal Senior member

Ug - does anyone know how recently A.P.C. changed the inseam length?

I last bought a pair of NS from them about 2 years ago - at the time they had inseam of 35.5" (for waist 32), as did all the NS and Rescues I had bought prior to that.

I recently went to get a new pair - they *all* have inseam 34", which unfortunately is too short for me (literally, this isn't a question about stacking).

I'm totally bummed - if this is relatively recent, I'll track down resellers that have old stock. But if it was like 1.5 years ago I'm screwed...even worse I traded in a pair of faded Rescues, for which they gave me credit towards a new pair. Now I'm out the Rescues, with no replacement! F F F!