A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. niix

niix Senior member

Heh, sorry I'm not skinny enough to be a hipster. [​IMG]

2. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Heh, sorry I'm not skinny enough to be a hipster. [​IMG]
    Buff fat people tend to underestimate their body fat %.

3. niix

niix Senior member

Buff fat people tend to underestimate their body fat %.

True. Regardless I'm going to post some updated pictures so everyone can stop calling me a fatty. [​IMG]

4. Spyre

Spyre Active Member

Hey guys, sorry for the noob questions, but I'm trying to figure out what size and style APC I want... I would like to replace my Levis 511's (who's fit I love, but quality is obviously weak). I went through more than a few pages of this thread looking for answers but when there's 400+ to look through its a bit much.

1) Which APC cut is a low rise slim fit w/ tapered leg?

2) If I'm a true 32 in waist, I gather I should size down, right? Should I get a 31? a 30? For what its worth, I don't like my jeans skin tight, I'm a pretty thin guy but my theighs are too thick have painted jeans

3) I know that theres an SF affiliate retailer that has the detailed measurements (waist/knee/leg open/front rise/back rise/etc) of every jean posted, but for the life of me I can't find that one website anymore. Anyone know where such APC measurements can be found?

5. niix

niix Senior member

Hey guys, sorry for the noob questions, but I'm trying to figure out what size and style APC I want... I would like to replace my Levis 511's (who's fit I love, but quality is obviously weak). I went through more than a few pages of this thread looking for answers but when there's 400+ to look through its a bit much.

1) Which APC cut is a low rise slim fit w/ tapered leg?

2) If I'm a true 32 in waist, I gather I should size down, right? Should I get a 31? a 30? For what its worth, I don't like my jeans skin tight, I'm a pretty thin guy but my theighs are too thick have painted jeans

3) I know that theres an SF affiliate retailer that has the detailed measurements (waist/knee/leg open/front rise/back rise/etc) of every jean posted, but for the life of me I can't find that one website anymore. Anyone know where such APC measurements can be found?

Check out www.contextclothing.com, they have detailed measurements for the different cuts under the APC section.

Low rise would be petite standard, I found personally it was too low of rise and a bit annoying. New standard or New Cure may be for you, depending on how you want the legs to fit if you're looking for similar to a 511.

6. max_r

max_r Senior member

Hey guys, sorry for the noob questions, but I'm trying to figure out what size and style APC I want... I would like to replace my Levis 511's (who's fit I love, but quality is obviously weak). I went through more than a few pages of this thread looking for answers but when there's 400+ to look through its a bit much. 1) Which APC cut is a low rise slim fit w/ tapered leg? etc
    its been a while and i can't remember how 511's fit, but like 6 or so months ago i remember thinking (while in the changing room trying on some 511's) that my size 28 new standards fit kinda similar to 511's in size 33, except the 511's had more taper and a slightly lower rise. levi's sizing is pretty eratic though, i found a pair in a different wash size 31 that fit the same as the 33's. the closest cut would probably be petit standards, or new standards sized down a bit more than usual if you dont mind a more straight-looking leg and slightly higher rise. as for sizing, look at the context charts, measure your jeans, and factor in about 2" to 3" of stretch in the waist, and about .5" to 1" or so of stretch in the legs.

7. jtd76

jtd76 Member

Spyre,

I've got a new pair of Petit Standards in a size 30 that I'm selling; they sound like what you might be looking for.

Or anybody else that's interested in some 30 PS, let me know.

8. whenwe

whenwe Active Member

Just picked up a pair of New Standards, and I am worried I didn't size down enough because they are already feeling comfortable[​IMG]

Anyway do you guys get your jeans hemmed before or after washing? I need to take off a few inches, but am worried that if I hem them before washing they will shrink and be too short. Should I compensate for potential shrinkage by leaving them an inch or so longer, or is shrinkage insignificant? I plan on wearing them for at least six months before I either soak them or take them to the ocean.

9. Spyre

Spyre Active Member

Thanks for the answers guys.

as for sizing, look at the context charts, measure your jeans, and factor in about 2" to 3" of stretch in the waist, and about .5" to 1" or so of stretch in the legs.
    I'm a bit confused. The context site says that if I want a pair of PS to be 32", then the size 30 is the correct size. Am I right when I read max as saying that since it stretches 2-3 in the waist, I should get a size 28 (which has a 30" waist) so it can stretch to a comfortable 32"?

If so, haha wow I have never worn a 28 before ~ I feel so dainty ~

10. max_r

max_r Senior member

I'm a bit confused. The context site says that if I want a pair of PS to be 32", then the size 30 is the correct size. Am I right when I read max as saying that since it stretches 2-3 in the waist, I should get a size 28 (which has a 30" waist) so it can stretch to a comfortable 32"?

yes.

it can be confusing at first, 2" stretch, plus vanity sized by 2, but when you think about it, its not so hard. just ignore the tagged size and pay attention to the measured size.

for reference, my size 28 new standards currently measure 34" in the waist since they stretched 4", but thats only because i kept wearing them after i grew out of them, hoping they'd stretch some more, but 4" seems to be their limit of elasticity.

11. compbry15

compbry15 New Member

Hey All,

I'm looking to get my first pair of raw/unwashed jeans, and am going to go with APC New Standards most likely. For a while I have been wearing a little bit oversized levi's 514, size 31/32 but the waist was too big. Recently I've wanted something a bit more fitted and purchased some 29/32 Lucky Brand 221 Slim Straight jeans, which I really like. However, I'm looking to venture a little bit further in the world of premium denim, thus leading me here (and to APC).

I am 5'9.5" and 140lb, so fairly slim. My measurements are about 32" waist (measured 2" below navel), and 20" thighs (measured about mid-thigh).

I read the first few and last few pages of this thread, but 400+ is a lot to catch up on [​IMG] Does anyone have any recommendations for a size on these? I'm looking for it to be slim fitted but not skin tight. From what I've read, I'm thinking 28 but would like some verification if possible.

Thanks!

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

size down two, motherfucker, buy a 28. Yes, they're tight at first. Yes, they'll stretch. Holy shit, there may be 400 pages but they all say the same fucking thing.

now will someone tell me who is stocking dark grey petit standards?

13. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

You guys are telling him to go down 4 tagged sizes in PS. That may be true for NS, but for PS, that is going to be wayyy too small. Petit Standard should only size down 2 sizes total. He said he wants to be comfortable at 32". Buy the 30.

Trust me, the Petit Standard is slim in the leg as well. Everything is going to stretch that is tight against your skin, but what will happen if you size down too far in PS is a buldged out knee and no stretch in the calf area. I'd say go down 3 MAX in PS.

I wear a size 30 true waist and I am rocking 28 PS. If you buy 28 PS with a 32" waist you will be fucked.

Just call Context if you want to talk to someone who will tell you the same thing I just did.

14. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

yes.

it can be confusing at first, 2" stretch, plus vanity sized by 2, but when you think about it, its not so hard. just ignore the tagged size and pay attention to the measured size.

for reference, my size 28 new standards currently measure 34" in the waist since they stretched 4", but thats only because i kept wearing them after i grew out of them, hoping they'd stretch some more, but 4" seems to be their limit of elasticity.

He's talking about Petit Standard, not New Standard. Petit Standard should size down two sizes total. Trust me I've sized down too far. It won't stretch below the knee, and it has a slight taper.

15. max_r

max_r Senior member

He's talking about Petit Standard, not New Standard. Petit Standard should size down two sizes total. Trust me I've sized down too far. It won't stretch below the knee, and it has a slight taper.

really depends on the size of ones legs. if his legs are on the larger side, then yeah, sizing down alot will probably be a mistake as PS has pretty narrow legs. the waist will end up a bit loose, but if you wear a belt its not a big deal at all.

however, if he has skinny legs, sizing down is probably a good idea. thats why i recommended looking at the measurement charts and comparing them to his 511's, rather than relying only on the waist size.

for reference i'm wearing petit standards right now, i only sized down an inch on the waist, but it was because i paid more attention to the leg measurements than the waist measurements, and i prefer my jeans to fit loose in the waist.