A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

There is no reason to soak as nothing will happen. Any inseam loss can be prevented later on by tugging on the legs so there is no point. APCs come lightly starched so if you soak them, you will lose some indigo and color and the fading will be more difficult to achieve. Soap and water, or an eraser, or anything gets indigo off shoes and the APCs aren't terrible with bleeding like some other brands. I'd reccomend just wearing them out of the box as there are really no benefits to soaking. I still can't find cures, so i guess i'm going to have to just size down 1 on new cures.

2. ruben

ruben Senior member

I don't know what to tell you. They stretch out a lot more than people who have never owned them think. If you look at APC NS measurements post stretch, they're not all that skinny. The only reason i say slim to regular is because on here and sufu there is a different standard. It is still very slim compared to general brands, but the measurements are most certainly not the measurements of skinny jeans after stretching. Also, way too many people are sizing down 3 on new standards hoping for skinny jeans when they should just size down 1 on new cures or 1 or 2 on cures.

Even w/o the sizing down, I'd say they're much skinnier than 501s.

Obviously by SF standards they're not thin...

3. SWB

SWB Senior member

Does anyone know how frequently denimbar updates their stock? I want some NS in 30, but obviously I'm late to the game.

4. ruben

ruben Senior member

Shoot them off an email, they'll put you on a list and shoot you off an email right before they put new stock up on the website.

Oh, scroll down to that factroy people thread, IIRC they had some 30s.

5. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

anyone have rise x thigh measurements on 26 NS, 28 NC, and 27 or 28 hipsters

6. MDT

MDT New Member

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of APC New Standard in 25x34. I'm only 5'4, my denim size is 26x30, so I would need to remove about 4' from the length. Will it ruin the fit?

7. Ag229487

Ag229487 Senior member

Anyone know where I can still find the Vintage Washed Indigo New Standards?

8. newbien

newbien Well-Known Member

I need help on ordering the correct size for my new standards. My true waist is a 29. Context measurements show a tagged size 26 measures to 26.5 and a tagged size 27 measures to 28. Do i go by context's measurements or by apc's tagged size?

9. SAM113

SAM113 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You should go by our measurements.
    APC "vanity sizes" their jeans, which means they are tagged 1-2 sizes smaller than they measure. You also need to take stretch in to account when choosing your size.
    Take your regular dry denim size and go down one or two, depending on your body type and how you like to wear your jeans.

10. dnk024

dnk024 Well-Known Member

hey all..um looking at the APC Rescues and was wondering if i'm a true 32 would it be bad to buy an actual 32? I'm not sure how much they'll stretch out but if it's only a size..i'm ok with it being a lil loose.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

It's not just the stretching. They come about an inch and a half larger than tagged size. So if you're cool with your size 32 jeans measuring abou 34" on the waist and then stretching a bit(less obviously because they'll be loose to begin with) than go for it. Sizing down 2 will still make them relaxed fit so don't worry about it being tight or anything. Sizing down 2 basically just makes them your size, and then they still will stretch.

12. SWB

SWB Senior member

I'll admit right up front that I'm far too lazy to read all 33 pages of this thread (still shaking off the migraine from reading 90 pages of the sufu DH denim thread), but I'd wager my question is slightly less common than the ever ubiquitous "what size" ad nauseum. If not, feel free to tell me to eat shit and use the search function.

So, here's the deal: the rise on my 19cm diors began a bit higher than I'd like, but after a couple of weeks it scrunched down to 9.5", which I consider perfect (I can't recall the actual rise they started with, but they're size 31, for reference). Anyway, I'm about to order some New Standards, but am a little weary of the 11" rise listed. I think with Diors the measurement goes down a quarter of an inch with every size, is this the same with APCs? For instance, if a 32 is listed as an 11" rise, would a 30 be 10.5"?

Finally, will the rise naturally shrink as they're broken in, as was the case with my DH? And one more: is there anywhere cheaper with these in stock than Azalea (now "tobi"?)? Denim Bar, Context, Factory People etc. are all out of 30s. Not a big deal, but I'd obviously prefer to save the $20, if possible.

13. SWB

SWB Senior member

Okay turns out I wasn't that lazy afterall, or rather impatience won out. No answers were to be had. One more question, though:

What's the deal with these being made in Macau? Maybe I've just become a "made in Italy/Japan" brandwhore, but something about $140 jeans made in China seems a bit off to me. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, I'm just wondering how they could possibly cost that much to produce, relative to the retail price. Is the denim itself just of inordinately high-quality? I realize that well-cut Japanese selvedge denim is a relative bargain at $140, but then again, the labor cost on a pair of NS must be about 4 cents. Just curious...

14. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

Hey all.

So, after browsing this forum for a while, I finally picked up a pair of nice (read: better than what I find at Nordstrom Rack (i.e., Mavi/Theory)) jeans - A pair of Rescue 36's. Now, I have a legit 38" waist, ~45" hips, and 26+" thighs, so I'm a big dude. I finally got the pair today, and right out of the bag, the thighs fit fine, the hips are a bit tight, and the waist is actually a bit loose (so, I'd guess that the waist measures ~38.5"). The overall fit is currently acceptable. I also just love the look.

So, my question is, should I return the 36 and get a pair of the 35" jeans, in order to get a better waist fit once it stretches out? Can I expect them to stretch a decent amount in the hips if I get the 35"?

Thanks (for giving me another avenue to spend more money)!

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

vibes, I would get a 35

They will be a little tight at first on the hips but they'll stretch quick. You'll regret keeping the 36s once they stretch. I only sized down one on mine way back when and now they practically fall off.