Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. mcclammer

mcclammer New Member

I know this gets asked to death, but I am stingy guy in a town where nobody sells APC.

I am a size 32 waist, 5'11", 160lbs, is sizing down done by just 2 sizes?
    I don't know if I want the skinny of NC or if I want the NPS. I currently like my 511s the most, though I wouldn't mind a bit skinnier.
    Basically, I ordered NPS in 30 and NC in 30, and I can button the NPS all the way but the NC I can't get past the second or third button, though I can say I have tried for more than a few minutes. Basically, I would like to know if the NPS, with stretch accounted for, will stay fairly slim like 511s or if NC can stretch to have a little bit of slack in them. Right now the knee doesn't seem to be too tight(ie I might prefer it a bit tighter) on the NPS but I'm not the tallest guy so I don't know what it will look like once hemmed and stretched, etc.

I know you can't predict the future, but if I am committing to a pair of jeans that costs a decent amount of money, I would like to make the best purchase possible. Thanks for any help.

2. kinch

kinch Well-Known Member

My true waist is 32". I don't want skinny jeans, so I'll be buying Rescues. Size 30 should do it, right?

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I am a size 32 waist, 5'11", 160lbs, is sizing down done by just 2 sizes?
    I don't know if I want the skinny of NC or if I want the NPS. I currently like my 511s the most, though I wouldn't mind a bit skinnier.

Don't go the skinny NC route unless all your friends are doing it, and even then, start a new trend. Skinny's are kicked to death and on their way out.

No matter what the stretch factor, jeans are too tight if you can't button them at the top.

Sizing down two on the tagged (label) size will get you to your real waist size. It's common advice to go down one more for the stretch factor. Note: this does not factor in rise comfort, your thigh/hip/ass size and many other physical factors. This is just advice for fitting the waist.

Buy from a place that allows exchanges. You'll get a particularly good deal as a first-time buyer at www.needsupply.com

4. mcclammer

mcclammer New Member

Don't go the skinny NC route unless all your friends are doing it, and even then, start a new trend. Skinny's are kicked to death and on their way out.

No matter what the stretch factor, jeans are too tight if you can't button them at the top.

Sizing down two on the tagged (label) size will get you to your real waist size. It's common advice to go down one more for the stretch factor. Note: this does not factor in rise comfort, your thigh/hip/ass size and many other physical factors. This is just advice for fitting the waist.

Buy from a place that allows exchanges. You'll get a particularly good deal as a first-time buyer at www.needsupply.com

Ah, k. I have read so many different numbers about the actual size when accounting for vanity size, etc that I just broke down and posted. Thanks for the help.

Serendipitously I did order from needsupply, I'll probably return my order and then reorder the 30 and a 29 in PS. In my town skinnies aren't kicked to death(very few people wear them), but tbh, I like slim, not manorexic slim. I bike a lot and have thick legs so I couldn't pull off too skinny anyway.

Thanks again for the quick advice. I'm really excited to see fades happen over time.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

My true waist is 32". I don't want skinny jeans, so I'll be buying Rescues. Size 30 should do it, right?

My rescues are a 31 (I'm a 34) and they fit perfect now. You will regret 30.

6. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

Hey Jet are your rescues pretty relaxed in the leg (thigh area)?

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

You have to realize that I'm a big du, 5'11" 172 and they fit perfect. I don't wear them tight but they aren't baggy with a nice slouchy fit with low pockets and no hip flare. They are slimmer than hm pants that I have so it's all about context. If you're a skinny du I would recommend sizing down 4 but chances are they won't have your size if that is the case. I have black ns in 32 and those are pretty slim (plus I can button no problem but didn't want to go down another size) so I got no dong room plus I have to wear boxer briefts with those.

8. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

Thanks Jet dog, I got to get my brother some jeans, or my mom will beat me. He's like 5'6" and 145 - 150 lbs.

9. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

You have to realize that I'm a big du, 5'11" 172

dang 34 waist? now i know where all that weight is...

10. 1up

1up Senior member

You have to realize that I'm a big du, 5'11" 172 and they fit perfect. I don't wear them tight but they aren't baggy with a nice slouchy fit with low pockets and no hip flare. They are slimmer than hm pants that I have so it's all about context. If you're a skinny du I would recommend sizing down 4 but chances are they won't have your size if that is the case. I have black ns in 32 and those are pretty slim (plus I can button no problem but didn't want to go down another size) so I got no dong room plus I have to wear boxer briefts with those.

Hey jet, could I possibly get your insight with what size you think I should purchase in APC rescues?

I loved RRDG and RRDS, I just came off wearing a 32x32 RRDG, they were a good fit, but maybe a little big snug in the thigh area.

Should I get 30 in Rescues? Can you choose length for APC's at all?

Where's the best place to order them from?

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

dang 34 waist? now i know where all that weight is...

Actually my waist is 33 but I say 34 because I wear them on my hips and don't like them tight.

Ryan, thighs are perfect for me but I am athletic homie. My cousin is 5'7 and 32-33 waist and he got 30s (absolutely perfect on him) so I would say 28 or 29 in rescue based on that but depends on his specs.

Hey jet, could I possibly get your insight with what size you think I should purchase in APC rescues?

I loved RRDG and RRDS, I just came off wearing a 32x32 RRDG, they were a good fit, but maybe a little big snug in the thigh area.

Should I get 30 in Rescues? Can you choose length for APC's at all?

Where's the best place to order them from?

I had 34 rrds a few years ago but I never liked the cut and the 31 in rescues fit extremely well. I don't remember what the thigh was like back then.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

So, I just copped a pair of APC NS's in their SoHo store. I'm a size 30, and so I took a size 27. Ball busting, as described previously, but not unbearable.

The question now is: now what? Hot soak them and then get them hemmed? The sales clerk at the store as well as my french, APC-obsessed (though not denimhead) friend told me I shouldn't soak them, but everything i read on SF seems to indicate otherwise.

So, what's the deal? I very much want to do this "the right way" if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

13. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

Yeah, he like power lifts. He got 29 - 30 inch waist, but his quads and calves are pretty big, no homo. Thanks for the insight brah.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

So, I just copped a pair of APC NS's in their SoHo store. I'm a size 30, and so I took a size 27. Ball busting, as described previously, but not unbearable.

The question now is: now what? Hot soak them and then get them hemmed? The sales clerk at the store as well as my french, APC-obsessed (though not denimhead) friend told me I shouldn't soak them, but everything i read on SF seems to indicate otherwise.

So, what's the deal? I very much want to do this "the right way" if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

There is no "right way". Do what you want based on your preference. Personally I like to hotsoak before to get shrinkage and sizing out and set the creases even with sanforized denim but some people don't. Not doing an initial soak is an american thing, the japanese almost always initial soak and wash often. In the long run, it is not going to make much of a difference.
    Bottom line is do whatever you want. Experiment!

15. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

so a 30 or 31 in APC would probably be alright? (from a 31-32 in RR)

Are the bottoms quite tapered ? I'm not that big a fan of a smaller leg opening, maybe thats why I liked nudies. It doesn't accentuate my body shape very nicely (I have relatively big upper legs and smaller calves)

No. If you're a 31-32 in RR, go for a 28-29 in Rescue. For example, I find a 36 RR to be the Rescue equivalent (in waist) to a 33 Rescue and a 34 RR to be equivalent to a 32 Rescue. I have all 4 so I know. So if you're a 32 in RR, or want the Rescue equivalent to a 32, then go for a 29 Rescue, or if 31 RR go for a 28 Rescue.

The bottoms of Rescues are not tapered. Well they are, but they are considered a straight cut, so it's minimal - 9-9.5 inches across the hem on 32-33 Rescues.

Think of the Rescue as being somewhat similar to the Nudie Sven (which I also have).