A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. masterllama

masterllama Senior member

I need to hem my NS
    do i need them to be soaked before i have it done?

APCs are sanforized so they won't shrink much when soaked.

you'll probably be off fine just hemming them with no soak.

2. Jimbo26

Jimbo26 Member

APCs are sanforized so they won't shrink much when soaked.

you'll probably be off fine just hemming them with no soak.

Yeah, don't soak them. But I would recommend that you wear them for about 2 weeks just to stretch them out and soften them up a little, that way you'll get a better idea of how they're going to drape before you get them hemmed.

3. kidkorea

kidkorea Senior member

About to give them another wash soon!

[​IMG]

4. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

A guy on ebay is selling a BNWOT pair of APC NS that he says her purchased at their surplus store in NY.

Is it possible that they are defective?

5. dmash

dmash Senior member

Do you guys suggest New Cure or Petite Standard for women?

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Do you guys suggest New Cure or Petite Standard for women?

Petite Standard. I think the silhouette flatters women more (Lower rise, more taper); it will look like a girls skinny jean when sized down.

7. dmash

dmash Senior member

Petite Standard. I think the silhouette flatters women more (Lower rise, more taper); it will look like a girls skinny jean when sized down.

Hmm, went ahead and got her new cures. EVERY shop I talked to said New Cures look more like a skinny jean. Petite Standard would look more like a boyfriend jean they said.

8. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I've been diligently reading this thread and am more confused than ever.

Some say soak before wearing, others say wear for the first time without washing .... there's contradictory posts about what washing will do (shrink back to it's original size v. oh no it won't) ... How often to wash .... And the sizing posts are voluminous & contradictory. Is there anybody out there that can definitively say they KNOW what they're talking about when it comes to APC jeans?

I tried a petite standard yesterday in size 34, and I found it fairly tight in the waist, but not horrible. I thought they looked good.

As instructed, my next step was to try to get into the 33, which I could hardly fit over my thighs & ass ... and I could not button it without (as many others have said) creating irreparable harm.

Now, I have to be completely honest: many of my other pants are indeed marked 34 waist. But I found the 34 APC petite standard plenty tight enough -- far tighter in the waist & butt than I would normally buy jeans. There's absolutely no way I could do what some here have suggested and go for the 32 (2" below what I wear), especially given my experience with the 33.

Could somebody who's an EXPERT recommend next steps? Perhaps try the next fuller APC style? Or, go with the petite standard in 34 and, if so, soak before wearing? Or don't soak? Or, stop being a baby & go get those 33's? Thanks!

9. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Soaking with unsanforized jeans (APC) is a preference. If you soak, you will get rid of some of the starch and stiffness. The jeans will not fade as quick but be less brittle. I would, and usually do, just have not with my APC's (I kind of went backwards and have been through numerous Japanese brands but wanted something quick and that I could try on in store).

They will shrink. I would say, half inch to inch in length once soaked, and nothing to noticeable anywhere else. Just like all the jeans you have ever got, be it at Gap or whatever. When you wash the jeans, they will shrink back down some, but will then stretch back out in short time (that day), again, like all the jeans you have ever owned.

As for sizing, just go down as much as you can. I have no experience with the slim cuts, so can not speak to sizing, but I went down 3 for Rescues, and I think the fit should end up OK. The guys that are only getting one button done up to start with are ending with a still slim fit. Depends what you want. It is probably hard to size down too much, but you can not enough. Remember too, that stretch is a function of how tight they are too start with too. They will generally stretch as much as they need to.

10. obnavox3

obnavox3 Senior member

11. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

A guy on ebay is selling a BNWOT pair of APC NS that he says her purchased at their surplus store in NY.

Is it possible that they are defective?

Can anyone comment on this? Please?

12. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

13. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

14. dmash

dmash Senior member

You think I could stretch out the thighs on 30" NS to fit my 24" thighs?

15. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Instead of forcing yourself into a slim jean, check out the rescue. I think it is a much more flattering fit for us guys with larger thighs/mid-sections. The Rescue is not a baggy fit by any stretch, but a more modern, standard fit, I would say. I used to think I had to get the cuts that everybody else got- life gets better when you go with what looks good.