A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

so wtf did I do wrong in soaking my NS's??? I wore them for about 6 months with no soak or wash and they began to get some nice webbing and creases... soaked them in mildly cold water last night for about 2 hours, let them air dry, check em out this a.m. and NOTHING!

any and all creases, where I could start to see denim fading, are all gone... the denim looks like it is new, its like leaving them in the water belnding the denim to fill in where they had started to fade?? is this pssoible? I am pretty pissed off from all the time I put in to have em come out like this.

On a good note they def. shrunk back to their original tightness

they were only beginning to get some webbing? it's not enough for APC

2. hnlax

hnlax Senior member

my girlfriend wants a pair of apcs...i wear the ps, but she wants skinny.

i'm assuming i'll get her the new cures, but do the smaller sizes still have the 34" inseam? i know i'm going to have to get them hemmed for her.

the new cures are unisex, right?

3. kevin250

kevin250 Active Member

my girlfriend wants a pair of apcs...i wear the ps, but she wants skinny.

i'm assuming i'll get her the new cures, but do the smaller sizes still have the 34" inseam? i know i'm going to have to get them hemmed for her.

the new cures are unisex, right?

I believe all APC's have a 34 inch inseam. And yes, all APC jeans are unisex, but you have to be careful of the rise. New Cure has something like a 10 inch rise, whereas PS is something more like 9, so you should take that into account as well.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Well I couldn't wait for a response. I had to soak them and I did. I soaked them in crystal clear cold water for 30 minutes. I removed them promptly and found this:

I am not quite sure what is in there but I am pretty sure it isn't indigo[​IMG]
    The funny thing is they really didn't smell that bad.

It's a combination of indigo and massive amounts of starch. Getting rid of the excess starch isn't a bad thing. I think you'll find they'll be a better jean after touching water, and will break in better, as well as feel and fit better. They won't smell bad. But you'll also get off some of the dirt and other crap that adheres to the starch and gets into the fibers. That's a good thing.

^^ Your profile says you have a 32" waist. Do you really want to size down five? Think about this.

Four down from what you normall wear is the max you may want to consider. I'm usually a real 31w and I wear a 28 tagged NS (which translates to a real, measured 30: waist). Five down would probably be impossible to get on.

so wtf did I do wrong in soaking my NS's??? I wore them for about 6 months with no soak or wash and they began to get some nice webbing and creases... soaked them in mildly cold water last night for about 2 hours, let them air dry, check em out this a.m. and NOTHING!

any and all creases, where I could start to see denim fading, are all gone... the denim looks like it is new, its like leaving them in the water belnding the denim to fill in where they had started to fade?? is this pssoible? I am pretty pissed off from all the time I put in to have em come out like this.

On a good note they def. shrunk back to their original tightness

Always, always soak first, before wear. There will still be enough starch left in 'em to keep them stiff and crunchy. The creasing and starts of whiskering are still there, and they'll re-set as soon as you get a few hours or a day or two back in them. Trust me.

Soaking or washing does relase some of the unabsorbed indigo which can settle back into areas where it's fading. But this is loose indigo, and will come off quickly.

The denim will now be more supple, so the creasing won't seem as severe, but in the long run, they'll get just as contrasty, and the denim is healtheir for the soak. The indigo loss and fading you invested is not wasted. It's there. Just wear them for a bit...

5. splattered

splattered Senior member

Always, always soak first, before wear. There will still be enough starch left in 'em to keep them stiff and crunchy. The creasing and starts of whiskering are still there, and they'll re-set as soon as you get a few hours or a day or two back in them. Trust me.

Soaking or washing does relase some of the unabsorbed indigo which can settle back into areas where it's fading. But this is loose indigo, and will come off quickly.

The denim will now be more supple, so the creasing won't seem as severe, but in the long run, they'll get just as contrasty, and the denim is healtheir for the soak. The indigo loss and fading you invested is not wasted. It's there. Just wear them for a bit...

Really? I had no idea i was supposed to soak APC first before wearing them? I though this was just for the STF dry stuff?

Should i have soaked my nudies too? Ive been wearing them for a couple weeks now and the creases/honeycombs are setting in pretty nicely... i was just going by the 6 months no wash instructions on the tag (though to be honest i know i couldnt last anywhere near that long)

And also what about the 3Sixteen? Soak those first too?

6. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Senior member

Really? I had no idea i was supposed to soak APC first before wearing them? I though this was just for the STF dry stuff?

Should i have soaked my nudies too? Ive been wearing them for a couple weeks now and the creases/honeycombs are setting in pretty nicely... i was just going by the 6 months no wash instructions on the tag (though to be honest i know i couldnt last anywhere near that long)

And also what about the 3Sixteen? Soak those first too?

You aren't supposed to soak them before wearing them. He is wrong.

7. eastvillager

eastvillager Active Member

Yeah mine didn't touch water until a year and a half of wearing them. They look fantastic.

8. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I believe all APC's have a 34 inch inseam. And yes, all APC jeans are unisex, but you have to be careful of the rise. New Cure has something like a 10 inch rise, whereas PS is something more like 9, so you should take that into account as well.

More like a .5" difference in the same size..... but people usually size down a lot more on the P.S because it isn't as skinny throughout.

9. SLeiber32

SLeiber32 Senior member

Ok so excuse me as a noob but I'm really having trouble comprehending APC denim through this thread. It just seems like everything is so dependent on a bunch of different variables. I have a true waist of 28-29 but all my jeans that fit me well are a 30in waist. I can't for the life of me figure out which style and size I should get in order to have the perfect fit AFTER stretching. Here are the measurements of my favorite fitting jeans: Waist: 30in Thigh: 10in Rise: 11.5in Knee: 7.5in Leg Opening: 7.5in Inseam: 32in I like a pretty skinny fit, something like this (yes, I know these jeans are crap and ugly lol): http://images2.pacsun.com/is/servlet...roduct_detail$ http://images2.pacsun.com/is/servlet...roduct_detail$

10. ahk1979

ahk1979 Senior member

Judging by those measurements and the jeans you linked to, I think you would be happy with Petite Standards. They are slimmer and lower rise than NS, but not quite as slim in the thigh as the New Cure (also don't have that weird almost flare thing going on at the bottom like the New Cure does). Check out the WAWT thread, as I believe user chronoaug has worn them in a few of his recent fits.

As for size, if you are normally a 30 (your jean size will normally be 1-2" larger than your measured waist size) in most jeans I would go for a size 28 to account for the stretching. They will be pretty snug to start, but after a couple of weeks of regular wear should be about perfect. If you still are unsure on the size, shoot a PM over to chronoaug. He is a super nice guy and I am sure he would be able to tell you how he sized his.

Good luck!

11. splattered

splattered Senior member

I see a spike in APC for sale on this forum... just wondering why.

12. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

because APC denim is a pain in the ass, having to size down ridiculous amounts in order to accomdate for stretching is not worth it. i sized down 3 for NS, which was painful as hell at first, and it still stretched too much.

13. splattered

splattered Senior member

sized down 3 including vanity sizing, i'm assuming? So from like 30>27?

I tried to size down from 30>26 and that was impossible...

Guess i'll need to invest in a belt. :/

14. kidkorea

kidkorea Senior member

selling new cures in a size 30, brand new PM ME!

15. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Senior member

Made my first venture into premium denim with APC New Standards. Here they are pre-soak. Should I keep them? The crotch seems to be doing some weird things. Or is that pretty normal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]