A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. papercut

papercut Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i just got me a pair of APC Petit Standards. I couldn't button the top 2 buttons when i tried them on at the store. At home i tried them on, an hour later, i could button them all. I'm worried they will stretch too much, will they?

2. eazyF

eazyF Member

Hi Guys, Been lurking for awhile while waiting for my first pair of raw denim/APC/higher quality jeans. I read though a lot of the stuff on this forum as well as sufu and still have some questions based on how the jeans fit when I got them. One important thing to note is that I bought these jeans lightly used from someone who was approx. 5-10 lbs heavier and 1-2 inches larger in the waist. I'm 5'6''-5'7'' and weigh 138lbs. The jeans in the picture are New Standards size 26. Front http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/...e540f7.jpg?v=0 Back http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/...2c31d7.jpg?v=0 Here are my questions: 1. I have about .5" of room in the waist (now 15" across). Should I be worried that they will stretch out more and become too big? Keep in mind that these were previously worn by someone bigger. Should a belt keep the waist from stretching too much more? Should I have them taken in? 2. Besides the waist the rest of the jeans are ultra tight, I can barely bend over. I usually don't wear my jeans even close to as tight as they are in the picture. It'd be awesome if I could get the thigh to stretch about 1.5" or so - Can I assume this will work out? Should I go with Rescues instead? 3. I'm not too happy with the "super stacked" look. Being 5'6"/5'7" means jeans with a 30" inseam are a little too long for me. I think I'm going to get the 34" inseam hemmed down to 31.5" to accommodate for a little bit of stacking and the shrinkage that occurs when washing and the honeycombs. I'll probably break them in for a week and then do this - based on the pictures do you think hemming them 2.5" is a bad move? Thanks

3. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

I'd definitely hem those before wearing them out. And they look pretty tight for having been worn by someone whose waist was 1-2" larger. Anyways if they are comfortable in them now and you don't want the waist to stretch out, then wear a belt. Or wear a belt at a later time when you are happy with the waist size on the jeans. It's not a science. Good luck.

4. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

should work. The 26 starts off as a 27 measurement. after a few weeks it'll stretch to about a 29.

I'm looking to get my first pair of APC NS and want to make sure I order the correct size.

My waist is pretty close to 28 (it's usually somewhere between 28 to 28.5"). I have a pair of Nudie SJDJ in 28x32 and I really like the (final) fit of those jeans, if that helps.

From the info that I've read in this thread (and a couple of others), I think I should order the APC NS in 26.

Can anyone weigh in before I pull the trigger?

5. eazyF

eazyF Member

I'm looking to get my first pair of APC NS and want to make sure I order the correct size.

My waist is pretty close to 28 (it's usually somewhere between 28 to 28.5"). I have a pair of Nudie SJDJ in 28x32 and I really like the (final) fit of those jeans, if that helps.

From the info that I've read in this thread (and a couple of others), I think I should order the APC NS in 26.

Can anyone weigh in before I pull the trigger?

See my post above for the "first" fit of the New Standards sz. 26 I just got. Very tight in the thighs!!

6. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

See my post above for the "first" fit of the New Standards sz. 26 I just got. Very tight in the thighs!!

They'll loosen up. Don't worry. Spray a little water on the tight area to help loosen them up, if you desire.

7. Pookehs

Pookehs Active Member

should work. The 26 starts off as a 27 measurement. after a few weeks it'll stretch to about a 29.

Thanks guys. In the end I actually got the sense to just go out and try them on, and I ended up getting the 26 NS after trying the NS and the PS in 26 and 27. (I physically hurt myself putting the PS in 26 on. It was crazy.)

Like eazyF, I may end up getting my NS hemmed.

8. Composer_1777

Composer_1777 Senior member

Got my first pair of APC's and I have a problem. I heard so many good things about APC I figured it was a good quality jean in a classic cut. I like a standard, classic straight fit jean so I went on the safe side and ordered the roomier "Rescue" fit jean. Here are the unworn measurements for a size 34 waist...

Waist: 17 1/4
    Rise: 11 3/8
    Hips: 21.5
    Thigh: 12 5/8
    Knee: 9 3/8
    Leg Opening: 9
    Back Rise: 14.25

The last number is where the problem is. A paltry 14 inch back rise gives me a perma-wedgie of epic proportions. I understand the waist and hips will expand but I think I'm stuck with the wedgie, no?

In comparison here are some of my other jeans back rise measurements (some of which I returned or sold because I never wore them.) The number on the left is the waist size:

36 Levi's 501: 16"
    36 J Crew Straight: 16.5"
    36 Levis' 559 relaxed straight: 16.5"
    36 KMW straight: 15.5"
    36 WESC straight: 15.5"
    36 EVER Haskell straight: 15"
    35 Jean Shop Classic fit: 15"
    34 Seven Relaxed: 16"
    34 Lucky: 16 3/4"

As you can see most of these are 2 inches off from APC - that's a huge difference. It appears to me APC is made for those who have a tight ass and want to flaunt it. Is this an uccurate statement or am I missing something? I have a decent rear end but jeeze these jeans suck right up in the crack and it looks like I'm wearing a G string.

My favorite cut is from J Crew and I end up wearing them 80% of the time. I'm really interested in getting into some raw jeans though, is there anything out there that might suit me better?

I'm in the exact same position as you. I have been wanting to get some raw dry denim from nudie or another brand for over a year but considering the price and the dificult bs in finding a fit i said screw it. Stickin wit sevens and ag so i don't look like a fat chick with a mushroom top.

9. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

eazyF i'm 5"7 and i weight about 128lbs now. my stacking looked like that at first but when it all settles down it looks a lot better. its up to you though to hem or not since its your jeans. its tough being short i know lol. i don't like to hem any of my jeans though.

10. Composer_1777

Composer_1777 Senior member

eazyF i'm 5"7 and i weight about 128lbs now. my stacking looked like that at first but when it all settles down it looks a lot better. its up to you though to hem or not since its your jeans. its tough being short i know lol. i don't like to hem any of my jeans though.

I'm with you on that one. Everytime i get mine hemmed, doesn't matter from where, they are never perfect and i feel the jean has been damaged.

11. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

I'm in the exact same position as you. I have been wanting to get some raw dry denim from nudie or another brand for over a year but considering the price and the dificult bs in finding a fit i said screw it. Stickin wit sevens and ag so i don't look like a fat chick with a mushroom top.

Yea, I'm set on never ordering another pair of jeans unless I have measurements in hand (I'm getting tired of returning clothes.) When I contact jean manufacturers or retailers asking for specifications most of the douchebags don't even bother replying back to me. Someday people will realize there is more to jeans than the waist size and start demanding measurements.

12. IRM79

IRM79 New Member

Hi there,

This is my first posting here. I finally got a pair of APC Rescue 34's today. They are great and I'm very happy with them. I tried wading through all the pages to find out what I am looking for but it would take me a month to read them all!

The problem is that the legs are very long. I normally take a 32" leg in most jeans, which leaves me with a 4" cuff on the APC's. I don't mind a small cuff but these are too much really. I read that they shrink back to around 32" after washing. Is this really true? I want to keep these jeans fairly dark so I will wash them earlier than my 14 month no washed Nudies.

I guess if they don't shrink up I would have to get them hemmed. I don't really like this idea as I don't really want to mess with them too much.

How are you guys with 32" legs wear your Rescues?

Thanks in advance,

Iwan

13. Ippo

Ippo Senior member

Hi there,

This is my first posting here. I finally got a pair of APC Rescue 34's today. They are great and I'm very happy with them. I tried wading through all the pages to find out what I am looking for but it would take me a month to read them all!

The problem is that the legs are very long. I normally take a 32" leg in most jeans, which leaves me with a 4" cuff on the APC's. I don't mind a small cuff but these are too much really. I read that they shrink back to around 32" after washing. Is this really true? I want to keep these jeans fairly dark so I will wash them earlier than my 14 month no washed Nudies.

I guess if they don't shrink up I would have to get them hemmed. I don't really like this idea as I don't really want to mess with them too much.

Thanks in advance,

Iwan

The jeans will not shrink in the length, because they are sanforized. This means the shrinkage has already been taken care of and won't shrink anymore, or not by much. You will definitely have to get them hemmed if you want them to lose 2" in the inseam.

14. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Iwan

Get them hemmed. You aren't messing with them by getting them hemmed. Or embrace the stacking.