• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mandrake9072
Longer periods *before* washing, not longer periods of washing.

Meaning, wearing your jeans for 6 six months without washing would mean you get better and more pronounced fades compared to washing them within two-three months.

Also depends how hard you wear these things too.

i am not a big fan with fades. i like my jeans to be pretty uniform in color, so does that mean i should wash my jeans after two or three months of wear?

can others with experience confirm this?

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
i am not a big fan with fades. i like my jeans to be pretty uniform in color, so does that mean i should wash my jeans after two or three months of wear?

Well, the whole point of wearing raw jeans is to achieve fades that are unique to the wearer. The reason people endure months without a wash, initial tightness / stiffness, etc is to produce those high contrast fades. If you are looking to have jeans WITHOUT fades, perhaps raw denim is not for you. Many stone washed jeans come in minimal or zero distressing, and eliminate the need to break in raw jeans, and the worry of causing fading.

However, if you insist of wearing raw and producing no fades, there are somewhat unsubstantiated claims that having them dry cleaned the day you buy them will make them harder to fade. Also, washing them before much wear (much wear = folds / creases become defined) will cause even indigo loss. Again, you will NEVER achieve zero contrast, especially if it is form fitting. I do encourage you to at least try to fade one pair of raw jeans, if only just the $30 Levi STF, because the look really is unparalleled.

BSullivan

Reaction score
For the record, I bought my APCs in December--a size 29 to my normal 32--got them hemmed, and love the crap out of them. I can see the beginnings of my fades! I have yet to wash them, but considering I wash my jeans 4 times a year already, going longer than that won't really be a problem. Febreeze is all!

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep reading that APC's may stain light colored clothing, but how much stain are we talking about here? I mean, I have light grey seats in my car, will I have to cover them with a towel? (sorry if this sounds silly)

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I keep reading that APC's may stain light colored clothing, but how much stain are we talking about here? I mean, I have light grey seats in my car, will I have to cover them with a towel? (sorry if this sounds silly)

For me personally the only thing I've ever had happen with raw denim is that the tops of my light grey sneakers turned a bit blue. But that is from constant friction.

I doubt you would have to worry about car seats or anything like that... but I coudl be wrong.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223

APCs are notoriously fast with fading. You can try giving it a soak before your first wear which will get rid of some of the starch (stiffness). The starch increases friction (and therefore fading).

skunkworks

Reaction score

It's a valid concern. You probably won't have any bleeding unless you drive a lot. The only real noticeable bleeding I've seen is on the back of my belt and on the tops of my shoes from when the jeans get wet. Just make sure you don't sit in your car with wet jeans.

velobran

Reaction score

I wear my rescues daily.

My tan leather seats have a blue tint to them, and I don't even drive that car very often. Also, rub against a white wall, you will leave a blue streak. I have also, of course, had it rub off on my shoes and on a light colored cotton jacket.

Glory Daze

Reaction score
1) How long should I wear the NS's for before the first wash?

2) Should I hand wash them, with only water?

3) Do I only soak them in cold water to get the jeans to shrink and tighten a bit after a couple weeks of wear?

They're gonna be my first pair of raw denim, so I'm not sure how to treat them properly =)

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first pair from The Denim Bar. Sized down two sizes (natural waist is 36, bought 34). Very excited. Can't wait to get them. Will post pictures when they arrive. -M-

travanx

Reaction score
just got back from getting my first pair of raw denim.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
So the 34 in standard fit me nice and pretty tight. its mainly my thighs where it would have been harder to get a 33 to fit on me. Is there any reason to not buy another pair of these? I like how they fit a lot. Also any hints on what size nudie would fit me? i am 6'3 if height matters.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by travanx
just got back from getting my first pair of raw denim.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
So the 34 in standard fit me nice and pretty tight. its mainly my thighs where it would have been harder to get a 33 to fit on me. Is there any reason to not buy another pair of these? I like how they fit a lot. Also any hints on what size nudie would fit me? i am 6'3 if height matters.

Dude.

Go back and exchange them for a 33. Raw APC's will stretch like hell. They will stretch everywhere that pressure is put, including the thighs.

The best fit for me is probably a true size 35 pair of pants (meaning normally a 34). I'm wearing a pair of 31 apcs. The waist is a tad tight, but the thighs and everywhere else are fine.

Go down at least a size below what yuo can fit into in the store.

travanx

Reaction score
Even if I cant button the 33 on? I really think the 33 were really too tight on me. I could get my leg through the 32. I read through here and figured I would get whatever the tightest fit would be with being able to button them on. I am thinking of maybe ordering another 34 off of denimbar and you are kind of making me wonder about ordering a 33 as well.

nino

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the inseam length of Rescues nowadays? My 2 older pairs of rescues (newest is about 1 year old) had raw inseams of 37-38". I hear now they come 34" raw?? Is this true?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads