1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A.P.C Summer 08

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by yasuda, Mar 13, 2008.

1. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

baby blue polo looks good, everything else is meh. saw it in the store last week. an oxford caught my eye, but I'd rather throw that $200 towards a BOO shirt.

2. onion

onion Senior member

To be honest, I don't think APC products are better made than BR. That line is all about the aesthetic.
    Well I strongly disagree. I think the quality of A.P.C. is far better, but to each his own. I will concede for the price is the quality is a bit lacking, but still leaps and abounds above BR.

3. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

First APC collection I like in a long time. Well, I like it a little bit, at least, and am not bored out of my mind looking at it.

And yeah, APC's shoes are ridiculously priced, and I believe its the same with all fashion brands.
    I saw a pair of the APC suede chukkas from fw07 on which the leather had just ripped, not the seam, but the actual leather, from stress.

4. nextlevel

nextlevel Active Member

the peacoat is nice

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Well I strongly disagree. I think the quality of A.P.C. is far better, but to each his own. I will concede for the price is the quality is a bit lacking, but still leaps and abounds above BR.

So explain what is "far better" about APC clothing over BR. I own cashmere knits from both companies, and IMO BR uses better quality cashmere. The tailored clothing I have from both brands seems to be comparable in terms of cloth quality but the BR products have better finishing/sewing. BR woven shirts hold up quite well and the quality of materials again seems in no way inferior to APC. APC denim is better than BRs, but that's probably the only thing they make that is consistently better. I like APC for the aesthetic and the fit but certainly quality isn't their strongest suit.

6. jet

jet Senior member

Agreed, fit of br is crap vs. apc, apc fabrics are better (they don't feel like polyesterish-cotton ie the button ups), knits don't pill like br just from looking at them and apc doesn't look like it rolled off of a conveyor belt a la br.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Besides, B.R. is a mall store that is probably designed for "plus-size" individuals.

8. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I like the 2nd last shirt, the tunisian military shirt. But it seems that they only go up to a medium.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Agreed, fit of br is crap vs. apc, apc fabrics are better (they don't feel like polyesterish-cotton ie the button ups), knits don't pill like br just from looking at them and apc doesn't look like it rolled off of a conveyor belt a la br.

Yeah, BR's fit is generally not incredible although I've found sizing down one on almost all of their stuff yields a pretty good fit. As far as the other stuff goes, though, I really haven't been thrilled by the quality of my APC knits. They're certainly not shoddy quality, but they aren't as good as comparable brands such as Agnes, Dries, Margiela, or CN. Same is true for the button-ups.

10. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

my apc parka from spring i've worn about 5 times and half the buttons are close to falling off already..
    thats an easy sewing fix but still...

although the material, the details, and the fit puts it above BR...

ALTHOUGH APC IS GETTING BOXIER...

11. onion

onion Senior member

So explain what is "far better" about APC clothing over BR. I own cashmere knits from both companies, and IMO BR uses better quality cashmere. The tailored clothing I have from both brands seems to be comparable in terms of cloth quality but the BR products have better finishing/sewing. BR woven shirts hold up quite well and the quality of materials again seems in no way inferior to APC. APC denim is better than BRs, but that's probably the only thing they make that is consistently better. I like APC for the aesthetic and the fit but certainly quality isn't their strongest suit.

I bought a long sleeve 2 button shirt from BR store, not the outlet. I washed it once and BOTH buttons fell off. I also bought a knit cardigan. When I took it home I realized the seam was ripped in the arm. I took it back and got another which had a rip in the knit near the shoulder. I kept the shirt as the buttons were sort of useless due to their placement, but returned the cardigan and got my money back.. and I don't own any cashmere from either so can't comment on that. I own a button up APC shirt and a knit sweater from APC and both have held up fine. Nothing spectacular, but no problems. The materials however left something to be desired, but so does BR.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying APC is as good as BoO, EG, R&B, Hickey, etc. in terms of quality. I'm just saying Banana Republic is worse. I also agree with the denim comment, one of the only items APC sells with a reasonable price tag is their denim.

12. constant struggle

everything i have ever bought from BR (3 knits i think, and 4 boxers ( i won't count those)) have fallen apart on me... in some way/shape/form..
    real bad quality in BR from what i've experienced...

and the material always feels real bad to me.... at that price point jcrew wins...

also i've never ever had a quality issue with jcrew except 1 button fell of a pair of dress pants i've worn for 2 years....

13. pinoy

pinoy Senior member

I really like those black derbies. Proportions and toe shape look perfect.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I bought a long sleeve 2 button shirt from BR store, not the outlet. I washed it once and BOTH buttons fell off. I also bought a knit cardigan. When I took it home I realized the seam was ripped in the arm. I took it back and got another which had a rip in the knit near the shoulder. I kept the shirt as the buttons were sort of useless due to their placement, but returned the cardigan and got my money back.. and I don't own any cashmere from either so can't comment on that. I own a button up APC shirt and a knit sweater from APC and both have held up fine. Nothing spectacular, but no problems. The materials however left something to be desired, but so does BR.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying APC is as good as BoO, EG, R&B, Hickey, etc. in terms of quality. I'm just saying Banana Republic is worse. I also agree with the denim comment, one of the only items APC sells with a reasonable price tag is their denim.

It really just depends on what you're buying. Some of BR's lower priced shirts are certainly not the best quality. The "premium" cotton ones usually hold up well, though. I posted a pic in MC WAYWN of a blue BR shirt. I've owned it since 2003 and probably washed it half a dozen times and it looks new. I've had good luck with BR knits, in general. By far the crappiest thing at BR is shoes. Don't EVER buy BR shoes.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Last night I wore a BR shirt I've had since the 90s.

I've had buttons fall off a steven alan shirt and an EG jacket. I still wear a JosAbank blazer I've had since 2001 with no issues.

Very few items of clothing are ironclad. These anecdotes are not indicative of overall quality.

16. hollaforadolla

hollaforadolla Senior member

the real question is, when the sale from spring season is. jet care to shed some light?

17. onion

onion Senior member

By far the crappiest thing at BR is shoes. Don't EVER buy BR shoes.

Holy crap I forgot about my Banana Republic shoes!! I got them on eBay for 14.99 and they were barely used, if any at all. They are very very uncomfortable, the leather is insanely stiff, and they hurt my ankles. They were a rip off for 15 dollars.

Also to get back on topic slightly... Is APC going to have a 50% off sale for their Spring line or do I have to wait for S/S?

18. constant struggle

i hope they do... get some insider info in here pls!

19. akaidiot

akaidiot Senior member

For the last few years, the sale at the store on Mercer happens the first week or so in May.

20. jet

jet Senior member

cs, you bought the wrong size parka...I'm one size bigger than you and I wear a small. The quality on that jacket is fantastic for the price point.

the real question is, when the sale from spring season is. jet care to shed some light?

I think it'll be around first or second week of june with friends/family around end of may/april. Who am I the go to sale guy?