• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A or B?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
A is great. That is how I believe men should dress.

If you really mean that, you can save several thousand dollars on your next sportcoat by visiting my local thrift shop.

marchal.gif

In all seriousness, I can't imagine the shoulders on your coats will end up looking like that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
In all seriousness, I can't imagine the shoulders on your coats will end up looking like that.

Not to speak for Matt, but lots of older gentlemen in Naples with nice suits seem to have shoulders like that. You can see the effect on Mariano Rubinacci himself, although not nearly so pronounced as on Luciano Barbera.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
A looks absolutely horrible in the chest and shoulders and I like oversized when done well. B is boring and GQ-esque. I dunno why I voted for B, I guess the colour choice in A offended me. I think many on this forum like "old man style" so much than they're somewhat uncritical of the end result. I guess most of the population would think B is amazing which isn't much better.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
At least I can excuse that as ***** and giggles/Internet persona/sexual fetish etc. But how do you explain "people in the net don't like my clothes/me/my tailor and I need vindication" and how does the other side explain themselves "we disliked a guy that we never met so much that we spent a lot of time insulting him and his tailor"
confused.gif

There is a lot more of the latter on the Interwebz than the former by a factor of, like, a hundred to one. And much less of both here than elsewhere. I don't know why you are making this complaint in this thread, or about SF, to be honest.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
A looks absolutely horrible in the chest and shoulders and I like oversized when done well.

You really think A's jacket looks oversized? To me, the way the jacket divets into the space between his chest and shoulders looks a lot more natural to his form than in B's case. Nobody has a flat plane between shoulder and chest, but B's jacket fit suggests just that.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You really think A's jacket looks oversized? To me, the way the jacket divets into the space between his chest and shoulders looks a lot more natural to his form than in B's case. Nobody has a flat plane between shoulder and chest, but B's jacket fit suggests just that.

Well it's not a shirt, a jacket does change the shape of the wearer somewhat. Otherwise we'd be wearing star trek tight suits. The chest shape of B can only be explained by droopy breasts but I assume it's a man.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well it's not a shirt, a jacket does change the shape of the wearer somewhat. Otherwise we'd be wearing star trek tight suits. The chest shape of B can only be explained by droopy breasts but I assume it's a man.
Can't edit but replace "B" by "A". I'd also like to see some minimal padding on A to avoid the broken shoulders syndrome.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first laid eyes on that picture from The Sartorialist, I thought "Dear God, what a **** endorsement for LB".

Nevertheless, I would like to see him in that outfit, posed with his hands at his sides (like the model in photo B).

ETA: I can tell you who'll get more tail hanging around a hen party in Las Vegas...if that's not a consideration, then hey.

Coburn

Reaction score
I'd like B's jacket made with A's fabric.

A just looks sad and depressed.

Cornellian

Reaction score

You're shittin' me, right? Those Rubinacci pills must be some ****...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dopey's Rubinacci Controversy thread inspired me to start this poll: do you prefer A or B? Vote on whatever citeria you want, but please explain why you chose one over the other. It's all fair game.

comparison.jpg

b, as I prefer the colour and the positioning of the notch lapel.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
A. looks like something from my nightmares. B. looks good. I don't see how anyone could prefer A., unless they have some sort of phobia against thin men and slim fits. The jacket in A. looks two sizes too big!

Edit: This is a fit only commentary, disregarding all other details such as fabrics, lack of tie, well worn nostalgia, and so on.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but A is frumpy, ill fitting and just looks old. B is a contemporary fit and, as such, is very slim with a somewhat short jacket etc. Give me something inbetween geezer and super-chic.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads