1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A or B?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Is it possible that what you "like" doesn't look good on your body? Is there no "horses for courses" option? I probably like A better than B, but am open to the fact that I would look like Quasimodo in A and need B to conceal flaws.

I suspect that the tendency on this board is to fall in love with a style without regard to whether or not it is appropriate for ones' physique.

2. boatshoe

boatshoe Member

I like A. More texture, color, and overall just more visually interesting. B looks like he'd put Rohypnol in your girlfriend's drink.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

anyway, I know this is a clothing forum and I know we fixate on silly things but honestly, is that one of the dumbest threaks ever?? I mean, we really shouldn't care about this to this degree. Think of your children going back some day and reading this and saying, "really dad, this is what you spent your time arguing about, a phucking suit fit???"

This is exceptionally civil, as these threads go.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

anyway, I know this is a clothing forum and I know we fixate on silly things but honestly, is that one of the dumbest threaks ever?? I mean, we really shouldn't care about this to this degree. Think of your children going back some day and reading this and saying, "really dad, this is what you spent your time arguing about, a phucking suit fit???"

I suspect that your kids may be more affected by some of your other posts (ahem...spaghetti...ahem) than whether or not you argued about suit fits.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

prefer the single breasted below to A or B....

[​IMG]

Coats both too tight and the tie on the left is distractingly absurd.

6. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Coats both too tight and the tie on the left is distractingly absurd.

Yes, the tie is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know about the too tight part, although I'm no expert.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

The guy in A looks like his clothing is made of wax and he's standing on the sun.

Wait, can you see even see this thread?

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

A looks like shit- and I don't care that Barbera is wearing it. Surprise. [​IMG] B is somewhat better. But slim is not necessarily fitted. Neither is particularly good.

9. factorial

factorial Senior member

Can't you do a comparison where the (a) equivalent is not shoving his hands into his pockets? As it is, (b) looks a lot better because the jacket's not riding up around the shoulders, rumpling in the sleeves, and bowing out at the waist, so it's impossible to be anything approaching objective. If those are all just properties of the garment even without the hands shoved into pockets, well, then I don't see how one can reasonably say he prefers (a).

10. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

prefer the single breasted below to A or B.... [​IMG]
    He needs to cut off his tie.

11. mafoofan

More to chew on:

[​IMG]

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

A is great. That is how I believe men should dress.

13. mafoofan

I hope my jackets will age like that. Do you think Luciano's jacket shoulders and chest always looked like that or that had to shrink and expand in different places first?

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I suspect that your kids may be more affected by some of your other posts (ahem...spaghetti...ahem) than whether or not you argued about suit fits.
    At least I can excuse that as shits and giggles/Internet persona/sexual fetish etc. But how do you explain "people in the net don't like my clothes/me/my tailor and I need vindication" and how does the other side explain themselves "we disliked a guy that we never met so much that we spent a lot of time insulting him and his tailor" [​IMG]

15. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

In defense if A I do like the fact it looks nice and worn it, which makes the wearer look very comfortable in his clothes. Aside from fit I think comfort is a big part of wearing a great jacket, its gives the impression of "Im not even trying". Thats huge in my book.

On a personal note I am begininng to offer a completely unpadded shoulder that I hope customers will use with more of the heavier fabrics. Obviously drape cannot be created in a mtm service and requires great skill and experience within the best bespoke operations. The soft look in general is something that is growing on me, along with an even wider lapel. I currently do 3.5in as a standard but will begin using 4in for future samples.

Good thread...

- S

16. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

[​IMG]
    I hope my jackets will age like that. Do you think Luciano's jacket shoulders and chest always looked like that or that had to shrink and expand in different places first?
    Aah, the Linguini cut! Too long shoulders will always be too long.

17. mafoofan

I suspect that the tendency on this board is to fall in love with a style without regard to whether or not it is appropriate for ones' physique.

I don't want to taint the discussion too much, but I think one of the most interesting questions is whether physique really matters to style in the first place.

18. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I don't want to taint the discussion too much, but I think one of the most interesting questions is whether physique really matters to style in the first place.
    Kinesthetics is more important than physique ( at least when it comes to hard vs. soft tailoring).

19. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

20. mafoofan

Kinesthetics is more important than physique ( at least when it comes to hard vs. soft tailoring).

Kine-what? I'm too lazy to google. Please 'splain.