• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A nightout in DC in April

modsquad

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser's suggestion of Lauriol Plaza is a good one. The drinks are better than the food, but the restaurant is used to big groups. I will call for a reservation for Friday, April 8, 7:30 pm, if I know the number of people to expect. If the majority of the guests think 7:30 is too early, I'll make it for 8:00. All RSVPs by March 30th, please.

Nick

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any way I can talk you out of Tex-Mex? The only suggestion I have is Old Glory (BBQ, if you're not aware) in Georgetown.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am up for anything, count me for 2, Friday is fine, just let me know the time. I arrive Thursday at 9 am, staying it looks like at the Hyatt Arlington Hotel, if anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know....I just want to be within quick walking distance to the metro, close to Georgetown, and in a nice hotel.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser's suggestion of Lauriol Plaza is a good one.  The drinks are better than the food, but the restaurant is used to big groups.  I will call for a reservation for Friday, April 8, 7:30 pm, if I know the number of people to expect.  If the majority of the guests think 7:30 is too early, I'll make it for 8:00.  All RSVPs by March 30th, please.
Thanks for taking the lead, Nick.  I went to Lauriol Plaza last Friday and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food.  But you're right, the drinks are great.  Nothing says "bring on the weekend." like a pitcher of frozen margaritas.
Any way I can talk you out of Tex-Mex?  The only suggestion I have is Old Glory (BBQ, if you're not aware) in Georgetown.
I think Lauriol Plaza serves Spanish dishes as well.  Old Glory is a good place, but in my opinion not as fun as LP.  And not nearly as big.
I am up for anything, count me for 2, Friday is fine, just let me know the time. I arrive Thursday at 9 am, staying it looks like at the Hyatt Arlington Hotel, if anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know....I just want to be within quick walking distance to the metro, close to Georgetown, and in a nice hotel.
Georgetown has no Metrorail station, so you're going to be walking either way.  I don't think you can do much better than the Hyatt Arlington . . . a ten-minute walk to Georgetown over the Key Bridge.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Georgetown has no Metrorail station, so you're going to be walking either way.  I don't think you can do much better than the Hyatt Arlington . . . a ten-minute walk to Georgetown over the Key Bridge.
That was why I liked that over the Marriott, close enough for a walk or quick cab to Georgetown, but a rail station a block away to get to the Mall.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds like fun, although I don't think I Ricchi is an ideal spot for a large group, particularly for SF members still in school.  Another possibility I would throw out is Lauriol Plaza (between Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan on 18th Street) -- good Tex Mex food and great margaritas.  How is everyone going to recognize each other?  Maybe we need a gang signal.
Maybe we could just make a reservation under the name Style Forum.
An Idea maybe?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser,Feb. 28 2005,12:11
This sounds like fun, although I don't think I Ricchi is an ideal spot for a large group, particularly for SF members still in school. Â Another possibility I would throw out is Lauriol Plaza (between Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan on 18th Street) -- good Tex Mex food and great margaritas. Â How is everyone going to recognize each other? Â Maybe we need a gang signal.
Maybe we could just make a reservation under the name Style Forum. An Idea maybe?
I was thinking that everyone who wanted to attend would PM Nick (modsquad) with a reservation, and he would reply PM with his last name (or a pseudonym, if he wanted to remain anonymous). Â Then each person would just go up to the maitre d' and ask to be seated with the <name provided by Nick> party. Â But your idea works as well.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either way, I think it will be a lot of fun, hope we can get a decent response to people coming out and erasing their annonymity...of course there is no chance on me being annonymous.

modsquad

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser,

Let's do it your way. Attendees please PM me with your online name (and your real one, if you like) and the number of guests, which I assume will be wife, date, girlfriend, etc. I also assume that everyone is OK for Lauriol Plaza, which has the following pluses: it's well-located near Adams Morgan, it's big, it has excellent people watching, it accommodates all budgets and the staff is used to large groups. It's more a social experience than a dining experience, but the food is passable. If someone absolutely objects to this restaurant, please say so.

I'll place the reservation - which I understand to be for Friday, April 8, 7:30 pm - on the last day of this month, so please RSVP by March 30. Again, if this is an insurmountable problem, please post. I'll probably make the arrangements under my own name, unless I can think of a sufficiently clever double entendre, which I will not hide from the Styleforum, with which to amuse the hostess at the reservations counter.

Nick

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attendees please PM me with your online name (and your real one, if you like) and the number of guests, which I assume will be wife, date, girlfriend, etc. Â
I never thought about whether we were going to have gals at the dinner, but I suppose it's a good idea. Â Frankly, I don't think I could pull off "Honey, I'd love to go out with you tonight but I'm having dinner with a bunch of guys I met on an internet fashion forum" with a straight face. Â
biggrin.gif

modsquad

Reaction score
So far, the only official guests at the April 8th get together of the DC-area Styleforum are Nightowl and myself. Anyone else interested in coming please RSVP with a PM to me, and let me know if you are bringing a date.

Best to all,

Nick

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far, the only official guests at the April 8th get together of the DC-area Styleforum are Nightowl and myself.  Anyone else interested in coming please RSVP with a PM to me, and let me know if you are bringing a date.

Best to all,

Nick
only 2 weeks to go...come on guys it will be a blast

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I might be coming into DC from The Heartland; wondering if this is still going on?

If so, I'd probably make it with the lovely and talented Mrs. Checks.

John

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is definitely gonna happen, just depends how many people want to make it, but we will be there.....for sure. And I am sure Nick will be among us as well.

Eric

Reaction score
Well, I'm definetly in. I'm not sure if I'm gonna bring a guest or not at this point unfortunately, if it ends up being an issue I can always come alone.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

Eric

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads