• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A night out in Atlanta

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife, Michelle, and I had an invite tonight for dinner with another SF member at a nice continental bistro in Atlanta by the name of Iris, we had a 3 course meal consisting of the following menu: *SALAD: IRIS SALAD sweetgrass farms chevre, candied pecans, golden raisins, hibiscus vinaigrette *SOUPS: PUREE OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH creme fraiche and toasted pepitas CRIMINI MUSHROOM BISQUE porcini dusted croutons *MAINS BRAISED VENISON OSSO BUCCO root vegetables, toasted pistachio, natural jus, fruitcompote CEDAR "PLANKED" SALMON white and green asparagus, yukon gold potato cake, tomato caper WHOLE CRISPY "SCORED" FLOUNDER ginger snap peas, saffron rice, spiced apricot shallot glaze And it was absolutely divine. One of the best French bistros style meals I have had outside of Paris. I highly recommend this little out of the way restaurant to anyone visiting the Atl. area. Now, on to the bigger subject, "A night out in Atlanta", Michelle and I work long and hard to enjoy the better things in life, travel etc., and therefore find little time these days to enjoy an evening out with friends. When the invitation came, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to spend time in the company of such an esteemed colleague of the SF, and therefore also felt somewhat intimidated by how the evening might fair being in the presence of a couple in the class I was dining with. I must say though, after 15 minutes, I had such a warm feeling with 2 friends that made me, and my wife, feel a comfort as though we had known each other for many years. The wine, champagne, and food were wonderful, but more than that, the conversation was effortless and very enlightening. You may ask, "What is my point about rambling on about such a fine dinner and good night out?" This is the point, the Style Forum may offer a wonderful place to learn about fashion, style, and even new ways of presentations for your personal appearance, but for me, and I hope for the many members here, the forum has also become a place to make true friends around the world. If the opportunity arises, take the time, introduce yourself, and become more than an ID on the forum, the interaction between the forum members can be wonderful, we all obviously have something in common, or we would not be coming back as we do. I know we did, and we will cherish the friendships we have made tonight, and I hope all of you will get the opportunity afforded me.
logo.gif
I have no affiliation with this restauarant, I just think everyine in ATL should try it.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not sure of the wine for I did not choose, however, I will say it was a nice smooth red wine.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is hardly your typical French bistro menu, which would be more like blanquette de veau and hachis parmentier.
smile.gif
What you're describing is definitely far more refined. You are being envied.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is hardly your typical French bistro menu, which would be more like blanquette de veau and hachis parmentier. Â
smile.gif
What you're describing is definitely far more refined. Â You are being envied.
The veal I could handle, the cottage pie, I am not so sure, I have never had that even in Paris, is it good? And yes, although it claims itself as a bistro, I will admit, it is much more refined, but a quaint little restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere, made even the better by the company we were keeping.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ Jan. 17 2005,08:34) This is hardly your typical French bistro menu, which would be more like blanquette de veau and hachis parmentier. Â
smile.gif
The veal I could handle, the cottage pie, I am not so sure, I have never had that even in Paris, is it good? And yes, although it claims itself as a bistro, I will admit, it is much more refined, but a quaint little restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere, made even the better by the company we were keeping.
The two dishes I mentioned are hearty, homestyle, rustic. Both excellent, if done right. The hachis used to be made with leftover meats, that was its purpose. The blanquette is in a white, slightly lemony, sauce.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(nightowl6261a @ Jan. 17 2005,08:44)
Originally Posted by Fabienne,Jan. 17 2005,08:34
This is hardly your typical French bistro menu, which would be more like blanquette de veau and hachis parmentier. Â
smile.gif

The two dishes I mentioned are hearty, homestyle, rustic. Â Both excellent, if done right. Â The hachis used to be made with leftover meats, that was its purpose. Â The blanquette is in a white, slightly lemony, sauce.
I think I had authentic hachis in Ireland or maybe England once, and once for me was enough, maybe it was the cook, but it was maybe just a bit, yeck...I have a pretty open pallette once, but, if I do not like it, seldom will I try it again.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An Irish or English authentic hachis parmentier? Aie, aie, aie .
wink.gif
Really, there's nothing to it: ground meat, sauteed onions, a little garlic, covered by mashed potatoes, sprinkled with breadcrumbs, at few pats of butter here and there, bake for 30 minutes, serve with green lettuce and a vinaigrette, et voila.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my problem was the goat, I am almost positive it was made with lamb, and it was just very gamey tasting and although authentic, not what I was ready for. I might try it again on a return to Ireland, only because it is part of the culture and if as you say done correctly, very good.

Where are you based in the states?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of a meat loaf I had in Ireland. Looks delicious, just emailed the link home to cook it tomorrow.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And to please Drizzt: I suggest a Beaujolais.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That would certainly be rustic, not a huge fan of Beajoulais though.

chris, that meal sounds more substantial than most french bistro fare...

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would certainly be rustic, not a huge fan of Beajoulais though.  
Me neither. But at least the price range of the beverage will be even with that of the dish. Anyhow, some kind of light red wine, I'd even go as far as suggesting a rose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads